Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm doing everything in my power to say just say "no" to Badlands.
Sorry, I always thought that Idaho dollars was a euphemism for 12-packs of Coors Lite.

Wasn't even looking at the mid package with BD, and don't care about high or lux that get unlocked with Badlands. In fact, i'd probably trade down (plus cash) for the BD steel wheels as I wouldn't want cast aluminum for off roading.
Only reasons to get Badlands, IMHO
  • Locker up front
  • 4.7 gearing
  • 210 front axle
And that's a steep $6K just for those items with factory warranty. Of course, the sway disconnect is drastically more important on an IFS equipped vehicle. Perhaps I shouldn't under-value that.....
Sponsored

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sorry, I always thought that Idaho dollars was a euphemism for 12-packs of Coors Lite.

Wasn't even looking at the mid package with BD, and don't care about high or lux that get unlocked with Badlands. In fact, i'd probably trade down (plus cash) for the BD steel wheels as I wouldn't want cast aluminum for off roading.
Only reasons to get Badlands, IMHO
  • Locker up front
  • 4.7 gearing
  • 210 front axle
And that's a steep $6K just for those items with factory warranty. Of course, the sway disconnect is drastically more important on an IFS equipped vehicle. Perhaps I shouldn't under-value that.....
LOL. I was just referring my experience that a dollar is harder earned (and consequently goes a bit farther) in the landlocked West than on either the West or East Coast.

Those are the same reasons that matter to me, however being a skier and habitual winter traveler, and having a job which requires me to still show up on bad weather days when others might not, heated seats are a plus. Not a necessity, but something I'd pay for. As such, I'd probably spring for mid package anyway since the safety tech adds some real value over the life of the vehicle. None of the rest of the "luxury" features matter to me, and I can get mid package pretty much regardless of which trim I select.

I agree the jump from BD to BL steep. I keep thinking I can justify $3k, maybe $4k of that stuff if I count the nifty gimmick of not having to manually unbolt a sway bar. It's a lot of expensive off road gadgetry to haul around when as you say, Black Diamond gets you 90% of the way there.

Haystack

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wish they offered at least the 4.27 on the base auto with no squatch.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I THINK part of that 6k jump from BD to BL is the fact that you are getting 90% of a Sasquatch package also, so as noted , locker, 210mm diff, lift , shocks, 4.70 gears, better x-fer case, probably more elctrical gadgetry for trail work, the sway bar disco.....
Apparently the suspension is flexy enough that they have to limit the travel if you put on the 35's, my guess is they limit the upward travel to keep out of the sheetmetal. Probably just bigger bump stops.

The more we hear the Ford guys talk, the more we hear them say that we can cherry pick a lot of options.....I'm really hoping heated seats does NOT require a mid package, there really isn't much I'm interested in there. IF not, the heater panels that go under the seat material are not very expensive if one wanted to take the aftermarket route.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep,

Yep, all this talk about gear ratios is meaningless without knowing the ratios of the transmission. The 4.70 could be the equivalent of an old school 3.73 with 10 gears.
Ford Bronco Rear Axle Ratio Questions 1597716613791

Ford Bronco Rear Axle Ratio Questions 1597716679252

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm trying to stay away from the Badlands, but it does have some of the stuff I want. 4.70 gears, better suspension, and M210 axle.

What I don't want is the automatic on demand 4WD or the sway bar disconnect.

I am really hoping the gears, axle and suspension are available on the BD trim outside of the squatch. If not, it's really going to be a hard decision if I want to go up $6K or not.

There's going to be a lot of time spent on that build between whenever it gets here and December.

RAB123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RUBICON , 1980 BLAZER , OWNED LIKE 4 OF THE ORIGINAL BRONCOS
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
whats the differences in the two T-cases ? is one stronger ? if you got the base with sasq pck which t-case would you get ?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The squatch package gives you the automatic on-demand. As far as I know, it's got a lower 4lo and more complex.

RAB123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The squatch package gives you the automatic on-demand. As far as I know, it's got a lower 4lo and more complex.

you mean you cant select " auto 4 hi " on the fly with the lower t-case ?

PapaJoeBRONCO

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
..I'm really hoping heated seats does NOT require a mid package, there really isn't much I'm interested in there. IF not, the heater panels that go under the seat material are not very expensive if one wanted to take the aftermarket route.
[/QUOTE]
Can you enlighten me on options for "heater panels" ??

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

you mean you cant select " auto 4 hi " on the fly with the lower t-case ?

The base T-case does not have the auto 4Wd function and comes with a higher geared 4lo at 2.72:1, the squatch T-case has the auto 4WD function and a lower 4lo at 3.06:1.

I have no idea about strength from one to the other, but the auto T-case is a more complex system with the auto 4WD.

RAB123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
so does that complex T-case come with Sasq pckg ?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name