Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just a quick search here. Nothing elaborate.
"heater pads" would have been a better term than "panels".
They install under the factory seat fabric.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...DM1oOUCXaLhl4FN1YcuwF3THjaTxy-eBoCfJAQAvD_BwE

How about some Corbeau's...
https://www.quadratec.com/products/24222_9001.htm

If you go the seat cover route, you can usually add heated seat and back pads as well. I have Wet Okles in my truck and added the pads to the passenger seat for my wife. I do not like heated seats for myself.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

then I might be back in the Base model with sasq pckg

Yeah, I could be too. I want the BD with gears and front axle. I don't think I want to pay for the Badlands to get it. The base squatch might give me everything I want except the rubber floor, and I bet I can figure that out on my own.

I'm probably going to build 5 or 6 different Broncos. Print them out and pour over them every night until December.

edit to say, wait a minute, I can't do squatch cause I want the MT.

PapaJoeBRONCO

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah, I could be too. I want the BD with gears and front axle. I don't think I want to pay for the Badlands to get it. The base squatch might give me everything I want except the rubber floor, and I bet I can figure that out on my own.

I'm probably going to build 5 or 6 different Broncos. Print them out and pour over them every night until December.

edit to say, wait a minute, I can't do squatch cause I want the MT.
I can see a lot of potential buyers doing similar! I'm not going Manual for a couple undeniable reasons so that is not a factor but the flooring (spray out interior) is a strong consideration factor!

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Should be pointed out that sticking with the manual transmission simplifies the gearing options quite a bit.

And the transfer case is moot in that case as well. The "auto" part of the 4wd is really quite benign.

A great article clearly spelling out the differences is here: Understanding The 4WD In Your Ford

And I agree with all you guys/gals! BD with the option of 210 and locker up front and i'm good. Would LOVE to get the lower gearing from Badlands as well, although I don't plan on ever having more tire than a 33" on there. The 35" are fun, but I don't need them for a car that's mostly on-road. They seem a bit pretentious if they only get properly used once or twice a year (Realizing full well that viewpoint is quite different than the majority opinion in the forums...)

Sponsored

BroncoFanBoy

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just browsing the build tool for that RAM trx.. so it comes with 34.6” tires and 3.55 gear ratio... so why all the talk on bronco needing 4.46-4.7? What’s really needed? Is it the 700hp that eliminates the gearing need on the ram?

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just browsing the build tool for that RAM trx.. so it comes with 34.6” tires and 3.55 gear ratio... so why all the talk on bronco needing 4.46-4.7? What’s really needed? Is it the 700hp that eliminates the gearing need on the ram?
No word on the actual transmission gear ratios for the TRX right now, which would matter when you're talking about effective torque to the ground. I suspect they don't want to multiply that 650ft-lb of torque too many times for fear of absolutely shredding the studs off of the wheel hubs.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And the transfer case is moot in that case as well. The "auto" part of the 4wd is really quite benign.

A great article clearly spelling out the differences is here: Understanding The 4WD In Your Ford
I'd consider the auto 4wd a must-have for on-road driving in snowy conditions. This position tends to rile people up who don't seem to understand that a computer variably adjusting power distribution thousands of times per second can somehow be more responsive than their dumb right foot.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd consider the auto 4wd a must-have for on-road driving in snowy conditions. This position tends to rile people up who don't seem to understand that a computer variably adjusting power distribution thousands of times per second can somehow be more responsive than their dumb right foot.
Heretic! Next you are going to tell me that ABS does a better job of modulating brakes against lockup than my good old fashioned, tried and true "pump the brakes" method. Oh, gotta run, there's kids on my lawn I need to go shake my fist at.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Heretic! Next you are going to tell me that ABS does a better job of modulating brakes against lockup than my good old fashioned, tried and true "pump the brakes" method. Oh, gotta run, there's kids on my lawn I need to go shake my fist at.
Ever since them dang ol' distributors started automatically adjusting my spark advance, nobody remembers how to drive anymore.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
In your scenario, you would be manually operating the car in 4H and have that exact ability safely. Just without it sometimes being in or out of 4wd.

In that scenario the only advantage of auto-4wd would be if you lacked the situational awareness to think "It's snowing.... I should be in 4wd" or were a quadruple amputee and have to save button-clicks whenever possible.

I digress though, and agree with having sensors running constantly as a better fail safe than assuming human situational awareness and knowledge of vehicular capabilities. Which is also why level 2 autonomous vehicles should not be allowed on public roadways. Humans fail to fully understand the limitations or capabilities of the system.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ever since them dang ol' distributors started automatically adjusting my spark advance, nobody remembers how to drive anymore.
True enough! I don't smoke yet always keep a matchbook in the glove box for adjusting points. Do people know what points are anymore?

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In your scenario, you would be manually operating the car in 4H and have that exact ability safely. Just without it sometimes being in or out of 4wd.

In that scenario the only advantage of auto-4wd would be if you lacked the situational awareness to think "It's snowing.... I should be in 4wd" or were a quadruple amputee and have to save button-clicks whenever possible.
The Midwest spends a good portion of the year with partial snow cover on some roads, or with bridges that freeze over when the rest of the road is just fine, or the occasional rain that turns to sleet that starts to freeze. In all of those conditions I would not be in 4H, since it's NOT meant for paved roads. I wouldn't switch into 4H before every potentially slick bridge, I wouldn't switch into 4H before hitting every drift that's blown over an otherwise dry road. But in all of those conditions, I'd DEFINITELY be in 4A, as conditions can change quickly and the ability of the vehicle to send power exactly where it needs to at exactly the right time is a HUGE confidence builder for driving in adverse conditions.

On top of that, 4A isn't just an on/off switch for 4H, it varies power transfer where it's needed. So it's still functionally superior to straight 4H, especially in conditions where traction constantly varies aka slippery paved roads.

2H/4H rules for offroad driving and in consistently slippery conditions (mud, sand, gravel, ice, full snow cover), but for the frequent traction/no-traction situations seen on midwest roads for 4+ months of the year, 4A is king.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On top of that, 4A isn't just an on/off switch for 4H, it varies power transfer where it's needed. So it's still functionally superior to straight 4H, especially in conditions where traction constantly varies aka slippery paved roads.
This is completely untrue. Regardless of what sales brochures say 4A xfer cases do nothing different than the old stick that came through the floor. Take the xfer case apart and you will find a basket clutch and electromagnet getup that performs the exact same function as the 4 lock dog clutch. Its just a way to have a computer shift it...nothing more. It can't "take from Peter to pay Paul" in any kind of traction condition. It locks the front and rear driveshafts together when their relative speed is off by whatever amount the computer is programmed for.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Because it doesn't matter what a completely different vehicle has for gears. At all. None. No relevance whatsoever. If you want your bronco to have the highest gears possible with the biggest tires possible, have at it. It's been discussed plenty. Your Bronco, get what you want. And if you're getting an auto, just put the pedal to the floor and it will eventually go. If you only care about top end, yeah, get those high gears. I doubt the Bronco is the best platform for mostly 80mph+ driving, but those higher gears will help if it's just a high speed commuter.

Many of us actually plan to use the Bronco in the dirt at lower speeds, so I guess we just obsess over things like low gears because we know we will need them and would rather not have to pay for a re-gear. If they had the option for 5.10s, I'd get them.
Sponsored

Last edited: