Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So let's say someone got a Base - 2.7 - 10A setup. What would going to 32 inch tires do with the stock gear ratio? Also, same question but with Sasquatch going down from 35s to 32s? (Can you tell I want 32s?)
Just calculate the percent change:
Difference between stock 30" tires and 32" = 2 inches
2 inches divided by the original 30": =0.0666... or 6.7 percent change.
For the auto, 3.73 original ratio >>> 3.73+ 6.7% = would need 3.98 gears to keep the rpm at same speed with 32" tires
Or, it would act like: 3.73-6.7%= 3.48 gears and 30" tires
At 60 mph you would have to drive: 60 + 6.7% = 64 mph to keep the same rpm as the original 30" tires.
So..... it's not a big deal, especially with a 10 speed auto..... there's likely to be a perfect gear for any speed.
Sponsored

Haystack

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Base
At first I was worried about the base auto only having 3.73 gears. After pondering it for a few days, I decided to check out the Ranger forum since they come with the 2.3/10 speed auto/3.73 gears. I noticed a lot of guys upgrading to 265/70r17 (same size as a BD, 32ish). I didn't see any complaints about lack of power or anything regarding this size with the 3.73 gears. I did see a few people say their speedos were spot on accurate now compared to the stock size.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In this specific case, the gear ratios on the auto are lower than for the manual (not counting crawl gear), so you can have a higher geared axle. Plus the work of the torque converter.

Compare the first 5 gears or so on the auto and you can see it's continually lower geared coming up to speed.

Ford Bronco Rear Axle Ratio Questions 1597913122792

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I know nothing about this particular transmission. If the crawl gear is synchronized then yes you should be able to. If nothing else you should be able to double clutch it to get it to work.

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A 32 to 46" tire is a 43.75% difference.
That would make your 6.588 crawler gear feel like a 3.7 ratio. So yeah, it would be driveable.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

In the latest info that came out, reviews stated that to use the crawler gear you must come to a stop and lift some sort of ring to be able to shift it into C ... so ratio wise.. sure.. but reality wise... I don't know if you could physically start off in C and shift up.

Treeza61

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2013 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
LOL. I was just referring my experience that a dollar is harder earned (and consequently goes a bit farther) in the landlocked West than on either the West or East Coast.

Those are the same reasons that matter to me, however being a skier and habitual winter traveler, and having a job which requires me to still show up on bad weather days when others might not, heated seats are a plus. Not a necessity, but something I'd pay for. As such, I'd probably spring for mid package anyway since the safety tech adds some real value over the life of the vehicle. None of the rest of the "luxury" features matter to me, and I can get mid package pretty much regardless of which trim I select.

I agree the jump from BD to BL steep. I keep thinking I can justify $3k, maybe $4k of that stuff if I count the nifty gimmick of not having to manually unbolt a sway bar. It's a lot of expensive off road gadgetry to haul around when as you say, Black Diamond gets you 90% of the way there.
Don’t forget about the headlights.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A 32 to 46" tire is a 43.75% difference.
That would make your 6.588 crawler gear feel like a 3.7 ratio. So yeah, it would be driveable.
Except . . . not for long, LOL. I imagine the weaker parts of the stock drivetrain get a vote here, too, and one of them is going to quickly opt out of that situation. ? Accelerate + 46" tires + stock axles & U-joints/CV-joints, etc = BOOM!

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don’t forget about the headlights.
The headlights are cool, but not something I'd put money down on even if they were available a la carte. As long as the base headlights are bright enough (and they should be, I've never met OEM LEDs that weren't).

Sponsored

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Still trying to decide if I want BB or OB (if 2-dr OB is available in manual) and if I want lockers at all. So if the 4.46 Manual has the optional 4.7 Electronic-locking Front and Rear Axle (Sasquatch), is my understanding correct that the 4.46 gear ratio only changes to the 4.7 gear ratio when the lockers are being used?

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Still trying to decide if I want BB or OB (if 2-dr OB is available in manual) and if I want lockers at all. So if the 4.46 Manual has the optional 4.7 Electronic-locking Front and Rear Axle (Sasquatch), is my understanding correct that the 4.46 gear ratio only changes to the 4.7 gear ratio when the lockers are being used?
If you get the optional 4.7 Electronic-locking Front and Rear Axle, you will have the 4.7 Gear no matter if the axles are locked or not.

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you get the optional 4.7 Electronic-locking Front and Rear Axle, you will have the 4.7 Gear no matter if the axles are locked or not.
That makes my decision of staying with the BB easier - since most likely will not be off-road and want to keep the gear ratio at 4.46 for highway. Besides not sure if OB will even be available with manual. Thx for reply Pope - you saved me some coin. :)
Sponsored