Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Jeep Jk Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Had to order a left side axle for a 2019 Ranger the other day just to get the axle seal.
I sure hope later on down the road Ford offers these seals as an individual piece.
$649.95 is a lot of dough when all you need is the seal.Once the vehicle is out of warranty I would think the aftermarket would have a solution.This was a locker btw,assuming the Bronco will share the same style axle.
Just thinking out loud here,not trying to scare anybody.I just wonder sometimes what engineers are thinking.
Ford Bronco Rear axle seal ddc78326285fe00381d02436683d8993
Sponsored

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Had to order a left side axle for a 2019 Ranger the other day just to get the axle seal.
I sure hope later on down the road Ford offers these seals as an individual piece.
$649.95 is a lot of dough when all you need is the seal.Once the vehicle is out of warranty I would think the aftermarket would have a solution.This was a locker btw,assuming the Bronco will share the same style axle.
Just thinking out loud here,not trying to scare anybody.I just wonder sometimes what engineers are thinking.
Where did it leak out of? Did ford say anything about it? Thanks for the heads up BTW

OP
OP
6010Head

6010Head

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Jeep Jk Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Where did it leak out of? Did ford say anything about it? Thanks for the heads up BTW
The tech said the o-ring style seal was leaking pretty badly,not sure if maybe it was nicked during assembly or what.Very low mileage unit,he did say that the seal could have been replaced if it was offered that way,and perhaps Ford will offer the part by itself down the road.I am sure the aftermarket will in time too.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That does not seem right. What model is the axel? Heck for that price I would just use some marine grease & call it a day. That stuff is like silly putty & has fixed more than one leaky axle on the trail ;)

OP
OP
6010Head

6010Head

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Jeep Jk Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That does not seem right. What model is the axel? Heck for that price I would just use some marine grease & call it a day. That stuff is like silly putty & has fixed more than one leaky axle on the trail ;)
The new Ranger axle is made by Dana it is no longer the sterling 8.8 I believe the Bronco will also be Dana Advantek.I hope as the design evolves will will see separate components available.Time will tell.Here are some interesting features to check out.https://www.therangerstation.com/ranger-tech/dana-advantek-axles-ford-ranger/

Last edited:

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The new Ranger axle is made by Dana it is no longer the sterling 8.8 I believe the Bronco will also be Dana Advantek.I hope as the design evolves will will see separate components available.Time will tell.Here are some interesting features to check out.https://www.therangerstation.com/ranger-tech/dana-advantek-axles-ford-ranger/
This might be more of what's at issue for the OP. Dana has the seals, but they're not willing to sell them to Ford individually. Ford has to purchase the complete axle assembly from Dana.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No option to source used from a junker? I know 2019 is still pretty new but there's enough wrecks in this country that seems like a lock there's a number of serviceable rear axles available in the used auto parts networks.

OP
OP
6010Head

6010Head

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Jeep Jk Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No option to source used from a junker? I know 2019 is still pretty new but there's enough wrecks in this country that seems like a lock there's a number of serviceable rear axles available in the used auto parts networks.
This repair was covered by Ford under warranty.I just think its not the most cost effective way to handle it.As ZackDanger pointed out Dana has Ford hostage at this point,but I'm sure in time that will probably be rectified.Heck maybe they are trying to save stock for all the anticipated Bronco sales ?

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This repair was covered by Ford under warranty.I just think its not the most cost effective way to handle it.As ZackDanger pointed out Dana has Ford hostage at this point,but I'm sure in time that will probably be rectified.Heck maybe they are trying to save stock for all the anticipated Bronco sales ?
Ah, OK, makes sense then. I was afraid you were being taken for a ride being forced to buy a new assembly for a lousy seal. Yeah, between the manufacturer, the service dept and the parts dept they do some stupid stuff when it comes to warranty. Shortly after I bought my 'vette I noticed the (stupid, IMO) pop-up headlights squealed when they went up or down. Brought it to the dealer and suggested it probably just needed some lube that maybe didn't get properly applied during the build. They nodded and then ordered 2 whole new assemblies, motors and all. I'm like "whatever" I just wanted to get it noted as a warranty claim in case there were bigger issues with it down the road. Couple *weeks* go by and they call me that the parts are in so I drive back over and drop it off. Go back to pick it up after it's done and service tech tells me "Turns out we just needed to lube up a few contact points that didn't seem to be properly lubed." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sponsored

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
ddc78326285fe00381d02436683d8993.png
The bean counters tell the engineers what to think. 60-70% of revenue for ICE vehicle manufacturers comes from service/repair.

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went to see what RockAuto offered out of curiosity. Nothing.

Since the Rubicon uses the Advantek M220 I thought I would look what it had available. I didn't find an axle seal listed by itself. When I looked at aftermarket chromoly shafts look what pops up.

USA STANDARD GEAR USA21901 Info
Rear Left; Unlimited Rubicon; Dana 44 (220mm DRF) JL Rubicon Wide Track; Left Hand Axle; 4340 Chromoly; 32 Spline; 32.2 in. Long

USA STANDARD GEAR USA21907 Info
Rear Left; Unlimited Rubicon; Dana 44 (220mm DRF) JL Rubicon Wide Track; 4340 Chromoly; Left Hand Axle Kit; 32 Spline; 32.2 in. Long; Includes Axle Bearing, Seal, Retainer, Studs, and ABS Ring (1 Side)

One kit has just the axle. The other includes the seal. The kit with everything is $302. Without looking further this tells me the retainer, seal, and bearing are all removable which means the seal can be replaced. I wonder if US Standard Gear would sell just the seal.

No I'm not saying the parts are all the same. Maybe they are. Maybe they're not. A part interchange search in a year or so will answer that. I agree the aftermarket will probably develop an economical solution.

Maybe, "oh shoot, my seals are leaking" to get chromo shafts.
Sponsored