Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic, Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am trying to add a rear view camera to an aftermarket front view dash cam on the 4D Bronco.

Has anyone run wiring to the rear roll bar? I am thinking of mounting the camera there. Will not be a great view out the back, but better than nothing, and will have some view of the cargo area, should someone want to poke around there without permission...

I have the wiring run to the rear passenger footwell area, but have not run it yet further back (I actually ran out of wire length and had to buy an extension). It is a Cobra system with a proprietary 5 wire connection between the two cameras, so a simple power connection will not suffice.

I am a little apprehensive about pulling the plastic trim panels off in the blind. I have been lucky so far with not snapping any tabs or prongs off the panels I have already monkeyed with.

Are there diagrams of these panel fasteners? Anyone have photos or video of removal of these panels?

Thanks in advance for any help...
Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

in the past I often just pulled the panels up a bit from underneath and stuck cables in that way, never removed the panel completely. I don't have a clue if that works with the Bronco panels, but worth a try.
Interesting idea with the roll bar location, I have soft top, so mounting on the rear window is out, but I'll have to look if that would work for more than a view of the spare tire. Do post some pictures once you have yours wired in! Also of what the view looks like. Would be interesting.

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am trying to add a rear view camera to an aftermarket front view dash cam on the 4D Bronco.

Has anyone run wiring to the rear roll bar? I am thinking of mounting the camera there. Will not be a great view out the back, but better than nothing, and will have some view of the cargo area, should someone want to poke around there without permission...

I have the wiring run to the rear passenger footwell area, but have not run it yet further back (I actually ran out of wire length and had to buy an extension). It is a Cobra system with a proprietary 5 wire connection between the two cameras, so a simple power connection will not suffice.

I am a little apprehensive about pulling the plastic trim panels off in the blind. I have been lucky so far with not snapping any tabs or prongs off the panels I have already monkeyed with.

Are there diagrams of these panel fasteners? Anyone have photos or video of removal of these panels?

Thanks in advance for any help...
in the past I often just pulled the panels up a bit from underneath and stuck cables in that way, never removed the panel completely. I don't have a clue if that works with the Bronco panels, but worth a try.
Interesting idea with the roll bar location, I have soft top, so mounting on the rear window is out, but I'll have to look if that would work for more than a view of the spare tire. Do post some pictures once you have yours wired in! Also of what the view looks like. Would be interesting.
Same, also used a fish line quite a bit to save time and messing with trim!

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Take some photos and write up what you have done. This could help many other people. Not just for a camera setup but running wires for other stuff too.

OP
OP
seanoj

seanoj

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic, Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was able to run a cable to the back roll bar but I would not recommend doing it.

Instead, I think starting from the back and going forwards is a better plan.

I suggest partially opening the panels on the roll bar by pulling straight down on them.

You can then run the wire across the roll bar and down (behind) the side trim panel near the 2nd row seat belt. I did it towards the passenger side. Gravity is your friend when working in this direction.

From there, routing along the door sills, which can be removed by pulling straight up. The other door trim levels can be pulled (flexed) enough to pull the wire through.

Near the front speaker in the passenger foot well is a good place to start the wire up the A pillar.

Removing the grab handle is an easy way to gain additional access to that area.

I ran the cable across the top of the windshield by just flexing the plastic trim and shoving the cable in the space behind the trim and the glass all the way from the rearview mirror.

Two thoughts:

1) It probably makes more sense just to buy two cheap dash cams instead of one with the long cable to the rear camera.

2) The cable that connects the two units is probably not long enough to reach the back without an extension. The extensions are hit-or-miss in effectiveness. Mine did not really work despite testing the cable for proper continuity.

I did not take photos as I was in a poorly lit area, but I am happy to answer any questions.

Dash cam: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07DVS7S53/

Extension: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0794ZYXGQ

Power: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B088P4VFQ7/

Sponsored

UniformMink11

Badlands
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Ram, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll link my video here. In it, I ran a wire to my auxiliary switch so I can use it as power for my subwoofer. I'll update this message with a new video once I'm done installing it. Let me know what other things you guys want to see on the bronco.

SCTWNB

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac Escalade
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is what I did.
Added three dashcams to the Bronco. Two in the rear(spare tire blocks the full view so have two) and one in the front. Used the Ford Dongar to power the one in the front and used powered the rear by trying into the "Hardtop" ready plug. There was an ACC power on that. Links below. These cameras work fine so disregard bad reviews. These are people that do not know how to set them up on their phones. Also used a piece of Marine Board to raise the height of the camera from Tap Plastics. King StarBoard - Marine Board HDPE - Black 1 (1.00)" Thick, 1-1/2 inches Wide, 1-1/2 inches Long, Color: Black – 137 www.tapplastics.com https://dongar.tech/products/16pin-ford-f150 https://www.amazon.com/.../ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin... https://www.amazon.com/.../ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin... https://www.amazon.com/.../ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin...

Ford Bronco Rear Dash Cam wiring 20220124_152751
Ford Bronco Rear Dash Cam wiring 20220124_152746
Ford Bronco Rear Dash Cam wiring 20220124_152721
Ford Bronco Rear Dash Cam wiring 20220124_152659
Ford Bronco Rear Dash Cam wiring 20220124_152625
Sponsored