Sponsored

Rear differential leaking issue -- need to replace the entire rear differential assembly

Stevona

Badlands
First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands 4door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2023 badlands Sasquatch. Upgradeking 2.5 with 37” tires.

1400 miles with only 20ish miles of moderate off-roading with no impact on the skid plates or the differential.

rear differential leaking. Took it to the dealership and they are saying they need to replace the entire rear differential assembly.

anyone else have any issues? Any idea if I should be worried about ongoing problems?
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seems a bit extreme, where is it leaking?

OP
OP

Stevona

Badlands
First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands 4door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Casting flaw/porosity? Crack?
Nothing visible. I’ll keep you all updated as to what they tech says. I’m just hoping that it’s not an ongoing Bronco/ford thing.

Sponsored

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

interesting.... I guess ford is trying to simplify their parts catalog...... I had a torn boot on the right front axle from the factory and they replaced the entire assembly....

- This doesn't bode well for future out of warranty repairs.....

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nothing visible. I’ll keep you all updated as to what they tech says. I’m just hoping that it’s not an ongoing Bronco/ford thing.
Could also be pinion or axle seal bores out of spec if leaking around the outside of the seals. Not very common to have those issues anymore though.

Newdoc

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This doesn't bode well for future out of warranty repairs.....
If the Bronco continues to stay in demand and sells well then the aftermarket will hopefully step in with seal kits, individual parts, etc.

It probably cost Ford less to supply the whole part and replace as a unit than to pay the labor for more hours on a rebuild.

badbronc4x4

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Stevona By chance do you know if the welds on your axle tube near the pumpkin broke loose? Mine on my Bronco just happen and I have read on a few difference posts it's caused by the Trail Turn assist causing or putting tons of force on the axle tube when it's braking on your inner wheel.

Heavy_GD

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 OBX non Lux
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Very disappointing that this thread has zero pics.

Sponsored

351W-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1969 Bronco, 2001 Excursion (7.3L)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
By replacing the entire assembly, Ford may just be wanting the existing unit back so they do a post-mortem on it.

Herb

RhondaS

Badlands
First Name
Rhonda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

1400 miles with only 20ish miles of moderate off-roading with no impact on the skid plates or the differential.

rear differential leaking. Took it to the dealership and they are saying they need to replace the entire rear differential assembly.

anyone else have any issues? Any idea if I should be worried about ongoing problems?
Did you get it replaced? How long did it take to get the parts?

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I don’t have any pics ,other than the oil leak, as the dealer has it
IMG_4308.jpeg
IMG_4310.jpeg
IMG_4307.jpeg
I have 22 badlands sas .. just bought it with 20k miles .Drove 8 hours and took back to dealer due to the noise. When they got into Joe Cooper Ford’s shop, they said diff and carrier are bad. Also transfer case pinion seal leaking and oil soaked . Been there 1.5 weeks and no parts .. none at other dealers or pdc. No one can get them per ford. Even called ford corporate. Let me know what you may find and I’ll do the same

Last edited:

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford doesn't really stock any of the internal parts on the rear end - they just swap the entire thing out. You can get parts individually from Dana/Spicer, but Ford isn't going to do that on warranty repair.

I can add to this, being stuck doing rear end repairs for a while now - Spicer parts availability is absolutely horrible. Every part I need to order is 2-3 week backorder.

So yeah, I can utterly believe that a rear end repair takes weeks. I've been trying to fix a rear locker and I'm going on 2 months now, between bad parts and backorder times.

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford doesn't really stock any of the internal parts on the rear end - they just swap the entire thing out. You can get parts individually from Dana/Spicer, but Ford isn't going to do that on warranty repair.

I can add to this, being stuck doing rear end repairs for a while now - Spicer parts availability is absolutely horrible. Every part I need to order is 2-3 week backorder.

So yeah, I can utterly believe that a rear end repair takes weeks. I've been trying to fix a rear locker and I'm going on 2 months now, between bad parts and backorder times.
Wow.. time for them folks to step their game up.. thanks for sharing brutha
Sponsored