First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For the guys who've played in the rocks already, are you dragging your two rear recovery points on every obstical? I'm talking the factory points on the steel bumper.

I must've scraped them 4-5 times today. They really kill the departure angle when dropping down waterfalls/steps. The issue is that they stick down AND out, so they tend to grab when your bumper would clear just fine.

20211031_185506-1.jpg

20211031_185456.jpg

Anyone notice this? I think some shackles would be a lot better instead of fixed loops. I'll need to find a solution or they won't be long for this world.

The only other spot to scrape was the rear lower control arm mount, and it was just barely. It also has decent factory armor already, but I'll be looking for skid plates.
Sponsored

Last edited:

lmarchetti

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have noticed this as well, but I don't mind those hoops to be the first thing to scrape. Easy to paint or replace.

I think you could remove them, but what's next to gets scraped bumper, hitch or tire? I would be OK with the hitch..

OP
OP
Theherofails

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have noticed this as well, but I don't mind those hoops to be the first thing to scrape. Easy to paint or replace.

I think you could remove them, but what's next to gets scraped bumper, hitch or tire? I would be OK with the hitch..
You read my mind. After careful consideration and advice from my wife (smart lady!), I'm leaving them in place.. I don't have a hitch, and you are correct. I would much rather some throw away tow hooks scrape. Just odd that they stick out so far and at a downward angle. You must lose 4-5" of clearance because of it.. Im doing another trail tomorrow with a forum member, so we shall see if the tow hooks scrape again.

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Had this on my Rubicon Jeep too and I much preferred hitting the tow hooks than scratching the bumper (even though it was steel). We ran Moab, Colorado and even the Rubicon trail and the tow hooks did not limit us at all and In fact saved me a bit.

OP
OP
Theherofails

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Had this on my Rubicon Jeep too and I much preferred hitting the tow hooks than scratching the bumper (even though it was steel). We ran Moab, Colorado and even the Rubicon trail and the tow hooks did not limit us at all and In fact saved me a bit.
Ive always been a fan of just carrying a hitch with a recovery point on it. The tow hooks are somewhat new to me, but they do a GREAT job of taking hits. They arent damaged in any way other than some paint loss on the bottom. If you see the video from one of my recent posts, you can see hear that they strike pretty hard as I slide down the first step of the staircase. Perfectly fine still though.

Sponsored

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a WildTrak coming (just got built email yesterday) and I already have a second tow hook which I got from someone here on the forum to put back there (as WT bumper only comes with 1) until I decide which steel bumper to run. This will balance it out but also give me some more protection, and another recovery point.

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Defender / 1985 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ive always been a fan of just carrying a hitch with a recovery point on it. The tow hooks are somewhat new to me, but they do a GREAT job of taking hits. They arent damaged in any way other than some paint loss on the bottom. If you see the video from one of my recent posts, you can see hear that they strike pretty hard as I slide down the first step of the staircase. Perfectly fine still though.
This! it puts the tow point in the middle of the vehicle vs the side and keeps from an off-center pull.

MHI OFF-ROAD

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.monsterhooksinc.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You read my mind. After careful consideration and advice from my wife (smart lady!), I'm leaving them in place.. I don't have a hitch, and you are correct. I would much rather some throw away tow hooks scrape. Just odd that they stick out so far and at a downward angle. You must lose 4-5" of clearance because of it.. Im doing another trail tomorrow with a forum member, so we shall see if the tow hooks scrape again.

Last edited:

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I was thinking of bolting a piece of UHMW to mine so they don't make such a racket when the do drop on the rocks.

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Would something like this help?
Ford Bronco Rear factory tow hooks = too low? DD0B6DCC-6926-44E0-8E91-EA91CE58B4E3
Sponsored