Sponsored

Rear gate issues - tailgate metal is buckling / dented / deformed ???

The Frisco Kid

Black Diamond
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 F-250, 2015 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Syphon Would it be possible to get a full picture of the spare and backside of your Bronco? Might help to see if they're are any bumps or dents anywhere else.
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
My vote also is for someone bumping your rear tire. It happened to my CJ, and the tire carrier got pushed in similar to yours. Man, I have to park my car at the end of the lot these days, to avoid crummy persons not paying attention and opening doors on my sports car WTH!?. :(

That said, I've wondered how well big tires will do on the Bronco tailgate. Often with Jeep, an aftermarket tire carrier is warranted. I got one that mounts only to the rear bumper, and it's much stronger than the tailgate mount on my Jeep.

I guess we will see over time with jostling and off-roading, how well the stock Bronco tire carrier holds up.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Syphon

Syphon

Black Diamond
First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@Syphon Would it be possible to get a full picture of the spare and backside of your Bronco? Might help to see if they're are any bumps or dents anywhere else.
As soon as I get back I'll post some more pics! 👍

zfischer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Tacoma, 4WD Sprinter, BJ42 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why'd you go and wax it?

In seriousness--that's frightening. I know you'll be going to the dealer asap, but could it be wise to remove the spare to prevent further distortion? It may take awhile for a replacement to arrive.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We need pics of the spare straight on, so we can see the markings where it was pushed into the tailgate, twisting the mount which resulted in the other deformations.

Oceannomad

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wish the cameras used for the 360 view (when optioned) worked like the Tesla’s and had sentry and dash modes to where they recorded

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
yeah, looks like impact damage (maybe tugging or leaning on the spare instead), the metal has, for lack of a better term, memory, once stamped, will mostly try to return to the correct shape unless enough energy is added to plastically deform it. The spare holder mechanism seems to have transferred stress energy to the outer skin.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Oh that suck...even more so because I would be surprised if warranty covers this because unless they somehow find that it's a structural issue (which I would think would take dealer effort they probably don't have), it "obviously" happened do to impact and call your insurance.

Greggvh

Outer Banks
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ram, 18 Charger, 01 Mustang, 98 Firebird
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I hate to say it but when we went to the Off Roadeo there was an incident between two broncos in a the wash bay overnight. Ours did not come back :( but the white one in front of us did with a dented bumper and the EXACT same damage to the tailgate that you have pictured. It pushed the tire in on the drivers side which popped the passenger side out.

I'm not sure if I want to be right or wrong. If right then you will have to get the tailgate fixed :( but if wrong then ford will fix it but means we may all end up with it.

How ever it goes down I wish you the best of luck getting it looking good again!

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Have you been parked in a public space recently?

Judging from the pictures, it looks like the lower part of the spare was bumped and pushed inward, from the amount of space at the top versus the bottom of the spare from the door.

Anyone else have access to your vehicle? A teen or spouse that maybe backed into a garage wall or cinder post in a parking spot?

These doors won't just warp like that on their own, they are over engineered to support the weight of the spare.

Typically, the most plausible explanation is the right one. If it were me, I'd be looking into if someone bumped into my car or my car bumped into something.

Was going to say similar looks like someone might have bumped the spare.

Hornet

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Is a spare tire delete kit available yet?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wish the cameras used for the 360 view (when optioned) worked like the Tesla’s and had sentry and dash modes to where they recorded
☝This 100X. Better yet, how do you know Ford isn't already doing that without you knowing?
Sponsored