Sponsored

Rear glass hinge covers incorrectly installed on my Bronco!

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Posting this as a Public Service Announcement and also copying @Ford Motor Company for quality control improvement purposes.

I'll start by saying this is minor, but still worth noting...

The weather was super nice this weekend and I had my 2 door MIC top off and sitting on some blocks on the floor. From this looking down from above perspective, I noticed for the first time that one of the hinge covers for the rear glass was not fully pressed on. See picture below:
Ford Bronco Rear glass hinge covers incorrectly installed on my Bronco! 20210912_174623

You can see in that picture on the top-right part of the plastic cover, that clip is supposed to clip on to the metal rod but is not all the way on.
So I tried pushing and then pushing harder on it to try and get it to snap on, but it was not even budging.
So I decided to pop it off and try to snap it back on the right way.
Upon doing so, I found that the part number stamped on the back side of it is labeled as RH (right hand) and this is the hinge on the left of the vehicle!

It turns out, the geometry of the two covers is different, and they must only fit properly if you have a LH and and RH.
Looks like I've got two RH covers, hence why it won't clip all the way on.

Doesn't matter much to me since I am going to be getting a replacement top anyway, but wanted to mention here for you all: When you do your delivery inspection (hopefully sooner rather than later!) you might want to check this. I know I will be when I pick up my replacement top.

This is what it SHOULD look like:
Ford Bronco Rear glass hinge covers incorrectly installed on my Bronco! 20210912_220455

Final Edit:
I popped off both covers and the LH part was installed on the passenger side of the vehicle, and the RH part was installed on the driver side of the vehicle. The covers are definitely different. I swapped them, and they fit perfectly.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Post up the other hinge please.

I mean, this obviously looks wrong, but I would still like to see what right "correct" looks like also.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Doesn't matter much to me since I am going to be getting a replacement top anyway, but wanted to mention here for you all
Thanks for the heads up. (y) Although, we don’t yet know how much of the old top get transferred to the new top. So, there’s a chance you might need the correct cover after all.

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Post up the other hinge please.

I mean, this obviously looks wrong, but I would still like to see what right "correct" looks like also.
Edited original post with additional picture, good idea

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for the heads up. (y) Although, we don’t yet know how much of the old top get transferred to the new top. So, there’s a chance you might need the correct cover after all.
Good point!

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

WTH?
Notice the bevel or angle of the top side? It makes that arrow shape?
You'd think two right hand pieces would point in the same direction?

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

WTH?
Notice the bevel or angle of the top side? It makes that arrow shape?
You'd think two right hand pieces would point in the same direction?
I agree, the covers in the OP pictures are symmetrical and not the same.

Incinr8

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Dodge Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i don't think "Wrong part" Means what you think it means.

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

i don't think "Wrong part" Means what you think it means.
I agree, the covers in the OP pictures are symmetrical and not the same.
Good observation! So I popped off both covers and the LH part was installed on the passenger side of the vehicle, and the RH part was installed on the driver side of the vehicle. The covers are definitely different. I swapped them, and the fit perfectly.

1000rm

Base
First Name
Ralpn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
Posting this as a Public Service Announcement and also copying @Ford Motor Company for quality control improvement purposes.

I'll start by saying this is minor, but still worth noting...

The weather was super nice this weekend and I had my 2 door MIC top off and sitting on some blocks on the floor. From this looking down from above perspective, I noticed for the first time that one of the hinge covers for the rear glass was not fully pressed on. See picture below:
Ford Bronco Rear glass hinge covers incorrectly installed on my Bronco! 20210912_220455

You can see in that picture on the top-right part of the plastic cover, that clip is supposed to clip on to the metal rod but is not all the way on.
So I tried pushing and then pushing harder on it to try and get it to snap on, but it was not even budging.
So I decided to pop it off and try to snap it back on the right way.
Upon doing so, I found that the part number stamped on the back side of it is labeled as RH (right hand) and this is the hinge on the left of the vehicle!

It turns out, the geometry of the two covers is different, and they must only fit properly if you have a LH and and RH.
Looks like I've got two RH covers, hence why it won't clip all the way on.

Doesn't matter much to me since I am going to be getting a replacement top anyway, but wanted to mention here for you all: When you do your delivery inspection (hopefully sooner rather than later!) you might want to check this. I know I will be when I pick up my replacement top.

This is what it SHOULD look like:

Final Edit:
I popped off both covers and the LH part was installed on the passenger side of the vehicle, and the RH part was installed on the driver side of the vehicle. The covers are definitely different. I swapped them, and they fit perfectly.
Thanks for sharing. My issue is different. My rear glass on top is pushing the weatherstripping to the point that is sags and water leaks. I wonder if the hinges can be adjusted (in/out). I wonder if the glass is moved outward it will stop compressing the weatherstripping thus preventing it from sagging.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for sharing. My issue is different. My rear glass on top is pushing the weatherstripping to the point that is sags and water leaks. I wonder if the hinges can be adjusted (in/out). I wonder if the glass is moved outward it will stop compressing the weatherstripping thus preventing it from sagging.
I would definitely take that one to the dealer and let them sort it out! I just took a good look at my hinges and there does not appear to be any adjustment screws or anything like that. Maybe shims could be used to adjust. Hopefully they can sort it out!

1000rm

Base
First Name
Ralpn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would definitely take that one to the dealer and let them sort it out! I just took a good look at my hinges and there does not appear to be any adjustment screws or anything like that. Maybe shims could be used to adjust. Hopefully they can sort it out!
Thanks for your feedback. I checked the inside of both hinges while the glass is up an noticed that both hinges have an “R” (on the black pin) above the bolt. It looks like they install a right hinge on the left driver side do you mind checking yours to see?

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The R is right on the pin itself? I checked both sides and do not see any marks on the pin. But, can only see about 180 degrees of it.

1000rm

Base
First Name
Ralpn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
The R is right on the pin itself? I checked both sides and do not see any marks on the pin. But, can only see about 180 degrees of it.
The R is on both side. However the covers are correct.