Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I accidentally cracked the plastic part of the locker actuator while doing my gear swap. Ford could not find a listing of only the actuator without the actual locker. But spicer sells it . Just an FYI. It was less than $80.

Took 3 or 4 days to get.;)
Been looking into this as I think I toasted my locker solenoid. Will drain and dig into it later this week - but just to post here so it's all in the same thread for other folks / posterity - and for other folks to look at in case I got something wrong here, as I'm still digging into this project and haven't finished it all up yet to confirm it's all correct:

Ford doesn't sell just the solenoid, they will sell the entire carrier assembly (about $700+):
P/N: MB3Z-4200-B

But you can get the solenoid direct through Spicer (about $80):
P/N: 10102021

After unbolting the carrier out of the rear end, you just have to remove the left right carrier bearing to get the coil off (great post here). I have only found listings for the right side carrier bearing if you should want to replace it (I've always heard to never re-use pressed on bearings), but the Ford diagram shows the same bearing being used on left and right side (Edit* this doesn't appear to be the case - see later posts. apparently I don't know left from right yet)

Ford P/Ns (requires both parts):
KB3Z-4221-B (bearing only)
NB3Z-4616-A (race only)

Spicer P/N
10275976 (bearing + race set)

This is the Ford parts diagram - note it does not show the coil as a seperate part, based on the linked post above it would be on the left side of the carrier assembly, on top of the ring gear (between Part #2 and Part #4 on the left side)

Ford Bronco Rear Locker not working due to solenoid 1704048994714
Sponsored

Last edited:

Broncoman7072

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Been looking into this as I think I toasted my locker solenoid. Will drain and dig into it later this week - but just to post here so it's all in the same thread for other folks / posterity - and for other folks to look at in case I got something wrong here, as I'm still digging into this project and haven't finished it all up yet to confirm it's all correct:

Ford doesn't sell just the solenoid, they will sell the entire carrier assembly (about $700+):
P/N: MB3Z-4200-B

But you can get the solenoid direct through Spicer (about $80):
P/N: 10102021

After unbolting the carrier out of the rear end, you just have to remove the left carrier bearing to get the coil off (great post here). I have only found listings for the right side carrier bearing if you should want to replace it (I've always heard to never re-use pressed on bearings), but the Ford diagram shows the same bearing being used on left and right side

Ford P/Ns (requires both parts):
KB3Z-4221-B (bearing only)
NB3Z-4616-A (race only)

Spicer P/N
10275976 (bearing + race set)

This is the Ford parts diagram - note it does not show the coil as a seperate part, based on the linked post above it would be on the left side of the carrier assembly, on top of the ring gear (between Part #2 and Part #4 on the left side)

Ford Bronco Rear Locker not working due to solenoid 1704048994714
The left side bearing is the same as a Jeep JL if you can't find it through Ford and want to buy just that bearing and race. I didn't take a picture of the bearing part numbers, unfortunately.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The left side bearing is the same as a Jeep JL if you can't find it through Ford and want to buy just that bearing and race. I didn't take a picture of the bearing part numbers, unfortunately.
That sends me down an entire different rabbit hole, as it seems the Jeep bearings get sold as a kit (both L/R - and they are 2 different sizes), and I can't find just the left by itself.

That said, I do still have the standard rear end setting in my car port, so I went back and popped the back end of it off to take a look. Sure enough, the left and right bearings are ~not~ the same.

The left is around 3 13/16" OD, the right 3 1/8" OD. The carrier in the standard that I opened looks different than the carrier in the tear-down post by @Rocket Rick -- the left side doesn't look it it would have space to add a locker even if you wanted too - and you can see the welding on the carrier rings. So if you wanted to add a locker to the standard rear end - you could, but you'd have to replace the entire carrier assembly.

The bearing kit for the 2018+ Jeep JL is
  • Dana Spicer 10071915
Just going by my barnyard measurements below - at least the ODs do look correct on that.

All of that said - it would be the right bearing that would need to get replaced, not the left. I still don't know where the P/N for the left one is, but the right bearing is readily available and the P/Ns I listed earlier should still work - I think.

Ford Bronco Rear Locker not working due to solenoid carrier
Ford Bronco Rear Locker not working due to solenoid left
Ford Bronco Rear Locker not working due to solenoid right

Last edited:

Broncoman7072

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That sends me down an entire different rabbit hole, as it seems the Jeep bearings get sold as a kit (both L/R - and they are 2 different sizes), and I can't find just the left by itself.

That said, I do still have the standard rear end setting in my car port, so I went back and popped the back end of it off to take a look. Sure enough, the left and right bearings are ~not~ the same.

The left is around 3 13/16" OD, the right 3 1/8" OD. The carrier in the standard that I opened looks different than the carrier in the tear-down post by @Rocket Rick -- the left side doesn't look it it would have space to add a locker even if you wanted too - and you can see the welding on the carrier rings. So if you wanted to add a locker to the standard rear end - you could, but you'd have to replace the entire carrier assembly.

The bearing kit for the 2018+ Jeep JL is
  • Dana Spicer 10071915
Just going by my barnyard measurements below - at least the ODs do look correct on that.

All of that said - it would be the right bearing that would need to get replaced, not the left. I still don't know where the P/N for the left one is, but the right bearing is readily available and the P/Ns I listed earlier should still work - I think.

You are right. It is right side bearing that would need to be replaced. I misspoke.

Just FYI the JL has a different outer pinion bearing.

And to reiterate left and right bearings are different sizes. Which is odd. Never seen a rear axle like that.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Rear Left carrier bearing, m220 with ELD - for reference
Spicer P/N 10184893

Oddly enough, I can't find one that states it's for Standard version.
Sponsored