Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, had my first service visit today. I kept getting drivetrain dash light errors when trying to turn on the rear locker. Went to the dealership today and they say there is a solenoid in the rear end assembly that is malfunctioning. Good news is that the read end is still fully functional, just not the rear locker. Bad news is that this part is not in stock and they had to do an emergency order for it. No ETA of course. Guess my wheeling will only consist of 4Lo, the front lockers, and sway bar disconnect for a little while.

Annoying, but glad it's not something wayyyy worse.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bird Dog Off Road

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When this is fixed, please note the part number of what was replaced and post up... some of us want spare parts. Thanks.
Will be happy to. Not sure it will do you any good since it is buried inside the rear differential housing. You'd have to take the rear assembly apart to get to it. Not a quick plug and play swap that you'll be doing on the trail.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So far, I haven't seen where the lock solenoid is even shown in the parts listing. This isn't a new component, its been part of the Ranger's locker for a number of years. I'm not sure that Ford is keen on selling this one. But if you do find a PN, I'd love to know...

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The good thing is it failed while open. It's a pain when it's locked and fails.
You can still do a lot of wheeling without it, so I wouldn't let slow you down too much if it's a long wait on parts.

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I read on another thread here that it was easily removable or replaceable on the trail.....

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The lock solenoid is a magnetic coil that sits under the right side journal bearing on the locker carrier. If you open the axle, pull the locker out, pull the (pressed on) bearing off, then the solenoid should relatively readily be popped off. I think it's kept on with spring keepers. I'm not sure that all of those steps to get in that far, however, really count as easily serviceable on the trail. But I'm sure people have done a lot more in a pinch...

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The lock solenoid is a magnetic coil that sits under the right side journal bearing on the locker carrier. If you open the axle, pull the locker out, pull the (pressed on) bearing off, then the solenoid should relatively readily be popped off. I think it's kept on with spring keepers. I'm not sure that all of those steps to get in that far, however, really count as easily serviceable on the trail. But I'm sure people have done a lot more in a pinch...
That's how all the electric lockers I've seen are assembled and it's a hard NO for me doing that anywhere but my shop.

OP
OP
Bird Dog Off Road

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm just basing my information on what the dealer service engineer told me. He showed me a diagram where it is at and said they basically have to drop the unit to get to it. Regardless, who knows how long it take to get here. Everything but the rear locker still works, so I'm not sure it would be worth dealing with in most trail scenarios as 4 Low and the front lockers still work.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bird Dog Off Road

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, figured I'd give an update. Since the initial posts, the dealership received 4 new parts and said all 4 arrived damaged. @Ford Motor Company reached out to me on here and was calling me every week with an update for about a month or so, then abruptly quit. When I reached out to them for a follow up, they said to follow up with the dealer. So, 10 months later the dealership is able to acquire the part from another dealer. They put it in and guess what, It still doesn't work.

I just don't get it. This is not a known issue for this vehicle and they are building thousands of these a week since during this time. Why is it so hard to get this part in undamaged and working?

OP
OP
Bird Dog Off Road

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)