Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I knew I would need to use the rear locker in everyday driving and hoped I didn't have to search for the right mode .

In normal mode on my base SaS you can pause and hit rear locker and it comes on .

My gravel drive has a section that separates the posi's from the poser's
Sponsored

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So I knew I would need to use the rear locker in everyday driving and hoped I didn't have to search for the right mode .

In normal mode on my base SaS you can pause and hit rear locker and it comes on .

My gravel drive has a section that separates the posi's from the poser's

Seems like you answered your own question. No need to depend on various GOAT modes, if you're getting rear wheel spin just turn on the locker. I think the GOAT modes are mostly marketing. We'll see how much we actually end up using them. I think nearly all the time we'll put it in 4wd when we want, in low range when we want, and turn the lockers on when we want.

One thing that is very cool that Ford did with the Bronco is keeping front and rear locker control separate. Unfortunately, Jeep only allows the front locker to be engaged when the rear locker is already engaged. The ARB Air Locker electrical does the same thing. In the real world, the front locker is more important than the rear in much of normal trail running. The front has to climb rocks and ruts first, and the rear seems to just follow along. For those of us who are able, and have the experience, we run front locked and rear open most of the time, just engaging the rear locker for certain obstacles. Contrary to what many think, the car turns much better with the front locked/rear open than it does rear locked/front open. This will be especially true with the Bronco because of the available turn assist. Turn assist won't work with the rear locker engaged. A locked front only just pulls the car around the turn, the rear locked only wants to push the front in understeer. In our Broncos, front only locked and turn assist is going to be very capable, and fun.

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I messed around with the GOAT modes a bit yesterday.

They change the throttle and shift tuning on mine. For most driving, like on the equivalent of FS roads and the like, it's more economical and comfortable to just put the Bronco in Normal and hit 4H or 4A and cruise along. If you need a locker, just reach up and hit the button. It's also faster, i.e. you don't have to wait for the Bronco to boot to its new mode.

That said, I took an opportunity to tear out across the desert on some sand and putting it in baja mode for that was fun. It held the engine at around 3K RPM. I was zipping along at 45 MPH across the desert and if I wanted to speed up, it just took off like a shot. No turbo lag, just boom, zipping along.

The GOAT modes definitely do things, it's just a trade off if you want the things they're doing or you just want to quickly use the transfer case and locker switches to do it. I think most of the time, I'll just put the transfer case in one of the 4 modes as needed and use the lockers as needed.

But if I want to tear across the desert with really great throttle response, Baja mode was fun. :)

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I messed around with the GOAT modes a bit yesterday.

They change the throttle and shift tuning on mine. For most driving, like on the equivalent of FS roads and the like, it's more economical and comfortable to just put the Bronco in Normal and hit 4H or 4A and cruise along. If you need a locker, just reach up and hit the button. It's also faster, i.e. you don't have to wait for the Bronco to boot to its new mode.

That said, I took an opportunity to tear out across the desert on some sand and putting it in baja mode for that was fun. It held the engine at around 3K RPM. I was zipping along at 45 MPH across the desert and if I wanted to speed up, it just took off like a shot. No turbo lag, just boom, zipping along.

The GOAT modes definitely do things, it's just a trade off if you want the things they're doing or you just want to quickly use the transfer case and locker switches to do it. I think most of the time, I'll just put the transfer case in one of the 4 modes as needed and use the lockers as needed.

But if I want to tear across the desert with really great throttle response, Baja mode was fun. :)
Can you tell which of the 3 steering modes is used in Baja? Sand?
Really wish there was a custom GOAT mode setting where you could configure all the parameters yourself...

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you tell which of the 3 steering modes is used in Baja? Sand?
Really wish there was a custom GOAT mode setting where you could configure all the parameters yourself...
Really not sure. It steered fine, but if you asked me what steering mode it was in, about the best I could is is "the one that makes it turn?"

Sorry...

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really not sure. It steered fine, but if you asked me what steering mode it was in, about the best I could is is "the one that makes it turn?"

Sorry...
There's supposedly Comfort, Normal, and Sport. I guess it describes the steering effort, but some models come with evasive steering assist, which will increase the ratio to add more steering angle for the same amount of wheel turn. Ford hasn't stated what the steering modes change, nor published much about the GOAT mode settings. :(

Thanks for replying! Baja mode sounds like a blast!

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's supposedly Comfort, Normal, and Sport. I guess it describes the steering effort, but some models come with evasive steering assist, which will increase the ratio to add more steering angle for the same amount of wheel turn. Ford hasn't stated what the steering modes change, nor published much about the GOAT mode settings. :(

Thanks for replying! Baja mode sounds like a blast!
Thanks for letting me know! Now, I have something else to pay attention to next time.

Here's a video of me playing with the sand and baja modes a little yesterday, no audio, I grabbed it off my dash cam. At about 2:10, I switch from sand to baja. It was entirely comfortable driving and I was nowhere near the limit on what it would do. I'm being careful still because I'm still within the "breaking in" period, just wanted to test to make sure things were working.

In the second video, I was climbing up some loose rocks. At about 0:35, you'll see sand blowing out in front. That's when the rear wheels were slipping and I didn't want to slip off the side, so I just reached up and engaged the locker, didn't even slow down. In my old JK, I would have been hunting around and it wouldn't have been nearly as effortless.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for letting me know! Now, I have something else to pay attention to next time.

Here's a video of me playing with the sand and baja modes a little yesterday, no audio, I grabbed it off my dash cam. At about 2:10, I switch from sand to baja. It was entirely comfortable driving and I was nowhere near the limit on what it would do. I'm being careful still because I'm still within the "breaking in" period, just wanted to test to make sure things were working.

In the second video, I was climbing up some loose rocks. At about 0:35, you'll see sand blowing out in front. That's when the rear wheels were slipping and I didn't want to slip off the side, so I just reached up and engaged the locker, didn't even slow down. In my old JK, I would have been hunting around and it wouldn't have been nearly as effortless.

Awesome! thanks for sharing!

Sponsored

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree about GOAT being mostly marketing, especially with a manual. I would have rather just had a eco, normal, sport toggle button and maybe a steering response toggle button

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree about GOAT being mostly marketing, especially with a manual. I would have rather just had a eco, normal, sport toggle button and maybe a steering response toggle button
Yeah the implementation isn't the best. I use mine but sometime find myself unsure of what to pick.

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Other things I would have rather had was a handle for the parking brake and the transfer case (at least high > N > low lever like my AWD Land Cruiser)
Sponsored