Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The back seats are a huge fail. They have a very upright position to begin with, and the “recline” is comical. Airplane seats recline more than these. Then add on the strange stadium seating thing going on, very awkward cramped second row.
If you think that's a huge fail, have you seen the 3rd row seats?! Ford really screwed the pooch on that. Not sure how they expect me to travel with 7 people in comfort in the Bronco. Complete fail. Considering how important 3rd rows are to people, its incredible they basically just phoned it in on the Bronco.... it's like they had their priorities all wrong.

Last edited:

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here is a picture with and without recline of the rear seats.

2021 Bronco rear seat recline angle.jpeg
Backseat Comparison: That's very helpful, thanks! The 2-door 1990's full size Broncos didn't have a rear seat recline that i can remember, but it was a huge seat that folded as one unit; this one has two folding sections. The 1990's seat unit when folded protruded into the space, like a bulkhead, making the seatless cargo area smaller but it was massive due to the wideness--it was basically a chopped F150. The 1990's bulkhead-style seat also impeded on the reclinability of the front seats, cramping leg room for us tall drivers.

The 2021 Bronco is narrower (to state the obvious), which may be why the current design is not a bulkhead but a collapsing design, meaning cargo can go over on top of it

The folded 2021 Bronco rear seat works differently than the 1990's Big Bronco. It collapses down to the floor, so that cargo goes on top of it instead of up to it. That may make up for the lack of comparable interior folded seat floor space. The problem with the new design is in how that engineering was accomplished (it appears).
1. The seat back and bottom seem thin, which means less foam and less structure, which may make them less comfortable, or wear out quicker;
2. Because the seats fold down, collapsing to the floor, you cant have any permanent storage under the rear seat, like on my current F150.
3. In order to fit the pieces of the collapsing rear seat, the folded units are higher than the floor of the seatless rear cargo area, which is not flat, but has two levels. It's possible that the prototype rear floor sliding tailgate option will have the benefit of leveling the two-step floor. Unfortunately, the doors and/or the roof panels dont fit in the back with the sliding tailgate reducing floor height. Personally, the back of my bronco will be too full of "stuff" to ever store doors or panels.

Finally, l would rather have a different rear seat design, with two independent rear seats with a space (or floor console) between them. This car is too narrow for beach umbrellas and folding camp chairs that both will fit sidewise in a pickup truck. So a longer space is needed to lay down long objects, between the seats. This makes it a 4 passenger vehicle!

Of course, we'll know when we get it! Having owned two successive Broncos in the decade of the 1990's, I thought I'd ruminate on the differences with rear seating after seeing this excellent recline photo post. Attached photo: 1994, Race Point, Cape Cod.

20210430_104652.jpg

Sponsored

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

95Bravo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
LOL...make 'em walk. Too funny.

I had a two-door Pathfinder with almost no leg room in the back, but the rear seats reclined in a large arc. It make a huge difference in the "comfort" of the otherwise cramped backseats. Too bad Ford stopped short. They get an A for the thought, but a D for the effort.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Maybe they should have gone to route of the original Bronco. Non-folding seat that consisted of foam on plywood.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No cupholders, no recline, no rear AC.

Good job, good effort.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Backseat Comparison:

The folded 2021 Bronco rear seat works differently than the 1990's Big Bronco. It collapses down to the floor, so that cargo goes on top of it instead of up to it. That may make up for the lack of comparable interior folded seat floor space. The problem with the new design is in how that engineering was accomplished (it appears).
1. The seat back and bottom seem thin, which means less foam and less structure, which may make them less comfortable, or wear out quicker;
2. Because the seats fold down, collapsing to the floor, you cant have any permanent storage under the rear seat, like on my current F150.
3. In order to fit the pieces of the collapsing rear seat, the folded units are higher than the floor of the seatless rear cargo area, which is not flat, but has two levels. It's possible that the prototype rear floor sliding tailgate option will have the benefit of leveling the two-step floor. Unfortunately, the doors and/or the roof panels dont fit in the back with the sliding tailgate reducing floor height. Personally, the back of my bronco will be too full of "stuff" to ever store doors or panels.

Finally, l would rather have a different rear seat design, with two independent rear seats with a space (or floor console) between them. This car is too narrow for beach umbrellas and folding camp chairs that both will fit sidewise in a pickup truck. So a longer space is needed to lay down long objects, between the seats. This makes it a 4 passenger vehicle!

Of course, we'll know when we get it! Having owned two successive Broncos in the decade of the 1990's, I thought I'd ruminate on the differences with rear seating after seeing this excellent recline photo post. Attached photo: 1994, Race Point, Cape Cod.
Everything in new vehicles and commercial airliners is lighter, thinner, narrower in order to both lighten the vehicle but also to get all the other good stuff in there while meeting ever-stringent mileage/emissions laws. I think the design is clever and maximizes the available space in this size of vehicle.

I have owned F150 S’crews since they first came out in 2000 which I bought for the cabin size and haulage area in the box. I hauled twin girls and a quiver of race skis across western Canada for years. I also hauled 5 grown men, our road race bikes (2 in the box, three in the trailer 1400kms from Calgary to Miller Motorsport Park (near Salt Lake City) for over a decade in total comfort. Point is, I‘m not expecting that kind of functionality in the Bronco and I’m surprised people seem to think a Wrangler-sized Bronco is going to do so.

It sounds like a good roof rack setup will handle most of your storage needs, and I hope you can make it work.

Otherwise, for many on this forum who are not happy with the Bronco interior, something like a Raptor may be the better choice for you.

my .02

NYCBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subway
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is this only on the 4-door? Or does the 2-door get the LazyBoy treatment, too?
Anyone have some insight on this? Hope the 2Door backseats also recline…

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I never even heard of reclining backseats in a vehicle like this, so I see it as added bonus. Seats in my Taco sure don't go anywhere and are more upright than the Bronco and the kids did just fine for the last 18 years. I'm surprised they even built in a recline option, to be honest.
The minute I sat in the back at our event it seemed roomy enough and comfortable. I'm 6'3.