First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There are a number of rear shock skids available.
It looks to my untrained eyes that these just move the point of impact forward and do not provide any "skid" ability. Is there a brand that would help the Bronco ski or skid over a rock ledge instead of just bash it? Looks that it could still damage the shock mount.
Or, is the protection that is given enough?
Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Most of them Ive see are a joke! They just hang down even LOWER with the extra protection! NO THANKS!

I just moved my shock mount up for 2” lift and 2” more ground clearance! Next I'll hack off 2” and weld a plate FLUSH on the bottom....
I'd rather spend $50 on a drill bit and kill 2 birds with one stone, than buy some overhyped doo-dad that actually do virtually nothing beneficial for my truck.

20220305_194810.jpg

20220305_194829.jpg

OP
OP
Happy

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree!
Your last picture explains this very well...actually about as well as 1,ooo words.

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Most of them Ive see are a joke! They just hang down even LOWER with the extra protection! NO THANKS!

I just moved my shock mount up for 2” lift and 2” more ground clearance! Next I'll hack off 2” and weld a plate FLUSH on the bottom....
I'd rather spend $50 on a drill bit and kill 2 birds with one stone, than buy some overhyped doo-dad that actually do virtually nothing beneficial for my truck.

20220305_194810.jpg

20220305_194829.jpg
Why didn’t Ford move the shock mounts up higher from the factory? It seems like it could become an issue somehow.

OP
OP
Happy

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford probably found some shocks and then built the bronco around them???

Sponsored

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Rear Shock skid plates 20220305_194829

Ford Bronco Rear Shock skid plates 20220305_194829
@BigMeatsBronco , do you have an update on how this is working out? Thanks!

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

@BigMeatsBronco , do you have an update on how this is working out? Thanks!
It works fantastic ! Easy way to lift and gain ground clearance. It seems to me the upper rear control arms are the limiting factor nin the rear articulation at this point. Looking at rock jock uppers for a quick fix...long-term fix is to toss the panhard rod in the trash and triangulate the rear upper control arms together into one w/one center mount on the top of the axle.

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It works fantastic ! Easy way to lift and gain ground clearance. It seems to me the upper rear control arms are the limiting factor nin the rear articulation at this point. Looking at rock jock uppers for a quick fix...long-term fix is to toss the panhard rod in the trash and triangulate the rear upper control arms together into one w/one center mount on the top of the axle.
I really like that idea, looking forward to updates. For now going with bolt-on. Foutz has their shock skid plates in stock. Ordered yesterday and they already shipped! I compared all the brands, I liked the way these had multiple angles, looked like they'd skid well.

https://www.foutzmotorsports.com/co...nco-rear-shock-guard-kit-by-foutz-motorsports

Blaylock1988

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2004 Volkswagen R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the Valkyrie rear shock skids and they worked well. I banged the hell out of both sides in Moab this week where I definitely would have bent the mounts around without the guards. This pic was near the top of Top of the World on day 1 (half way), day 3 had much more hits.

Ford Bronco Rear Shock skid plates 1651983900357

jh3113

Black Diamond
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have the Valkyrie rear shock skids and they worked well. I banged the hell out of both sides in Moab this week where I definitely would have bent the mounts around without the guards. This pic was near the top of Top of the World on day 1 (half way), day 3 had much more hits.

Ford Bronco Rear Shock skid plates 1651983900357
Did you install them yourself? I have set waiting to go on, but haven't found an easy way to torque the bolt back to 350 ft lbs.

Sponsored

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you install them yourself? I have set waiting to go on, but haven't found an easy way to torque the bolt back to 350 ft lbs.
Yeah, that’s a crazy amount of torque. Doesn’t seem right at all. I have a set and I was wondering about that number as well. I was just going to crank it down with what I have and calling it a day.

jh3113

Black Diamond
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, that’s a crazy amount of torque. Doesn’t seem right at all. I have a set and I was wondering about that number as well. I was just going to crank it down with what I have and calling it a day.
Fairly certain its correct because these are the Ford instructions:

NOTE: Make sure a new nut and bolt is installed.
Install the new rear shock absorber and shock absorber lower bolt and nut.
Torque: 350 lb.ft (475 Nm)

Install the new rear shock absorber upper nuts.
Torque: 41 lb.ft (55 Nm)

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Blaylock1988

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2004 Volkswagen R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used a floor jack to push on a long breaker bar and eyeballed it to what it seemed like before. Just drove 1000 miles total for the Bronco Safari and it seemed fine.

It helped to jack the frame up to let the pressure off that bolt. You can find a sweet spot so the bolt slides in and out easily after you loosen the nut.

The FMI ones look very nice. I don't recall seeing them available at the time I ordered mine.