Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I used a floor jack to push on a long breaker bar and eyeballed it to what it seemed like before. Just drove 1000 miles total for the Bronco Safari and it seemed fine.

It helped to jack the frame up to let the pressure off that bolt. You can find a sweet spot so the bolt slides in and out easily after you loosen the nut.

The FMI ones look very nice. I don't recall seeing them available at the time I ordered mine.
Did you have to take the whole bolt out to install them? Or just remove the nut?
Sponsored

Blaylock1988

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2004 Volkswagen R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you have to take the whole bolt out to install them? Or just remove the nut?
You have slide the bolt about half way out, enough to slip the skid plate on and then reinstall plus the 2 new small bolts.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You have slide the bolt about half way out, enough to slip the skid plate on and then reinstall plus the 2 new small bolts.
Thanks. I thought you just had to remove the nut, but no biggie. Definitely gotta jack up the axle enough to remove that tension then. Not looking forward to attempting to break that nut loose.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks. I thought you just had to remove the nut, but no biggie. Definitely gotta jack up the axle enough to remove that tension then. Not looking forward to attempting to break that nut loose.
I went with these:

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/BR6SD-SH.html

Just the nut had to be removed. I used a 2 foot breaker bar and was able to loosen the bolts, and to reinstall I followed another brand of skid plate website install instructions and went to 240. There is not a definitive answer if the bolts are torque to yield (in which case they should not be reused/retorqued) or if Ford wants owners to buy new bolts simply due to their proprietary to thread sealer (which would also affect torque values). I like that the JCR setup protects the reservoir, and I like their control arm skids as well.

Jenkins_Auto_Image

Base
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ram 1500, 2006 Acura TL, 2022 Bronco soon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, that’s a crazy amount of torque. Doesn’t seem right at all. I have a set and I was wondering about that number as well. I was just going to crank it down with what I have and calling it a day.
Send it home with a few ugga duggas and hit it with the cheater pipe. That’s pretty close to 350 ft/lb 🤌

Sponsored

Blaylock1988

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2004 Volkswagen R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford bolts are weird. On this particular one the nut it has an arm that stops it from turning so it acts like a captive nut, so your only choice is to do the work from the head of the bolt and back it out enough for the nut to come off. At that point you are pretty much ready to slide the skid plate on.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
FWIW the Valkyrie versions have drain holes for salt, sand, mud, etc.

Ford Bronco Rear Shock skid plates 73CBC49F-37A9-429B-B207-18D22C81E270

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went with these:

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/BR6SD-SH.html

Just the nut had to be removed. I used a 2 foot breaker bar and was able to loosen the bolts, and to reinstall I followed another brand of skid plate website install instructions and went to 240. There is not a definitive answer if the bolts are torque to yield (in which case they should not be reused/retorqued) or if Ford wants owners to buy new bolts simply due to their proprietary to thread sealer (which would also affect torque values). I like that the JCR setup protects the reservoir, and I like their control arm skids as well.
I have been told by a reliable source that the bolts are not torque to yield. They are one-time-use from a warranty stand point due to the thread locker application. Even FoMoCo has recently backed off of the required replacement due to numerous repair jobs being held up for weeks because of unavailable hardware.

Bronco_joe

Black Diamond
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Skyjacker released theirs at a reasonable price and the skid fully covers the back. I may purchase

Screenshot_20220515-122010_Samsung Internet.jpg

JustSendItDude

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Skyjacker released theirs at a reasonable price and the skid fully covers the back. I may purchase

Ford Bronco Rear Shock skid plates Screenshot_20220515-122010_Samsung Internet
Just received mine today. I will head outside to install them once it cools down a bit this evening. I'll post some pics later tonight or tomorrow.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went with the @JcrOffroad skids, too. Very happy with the 3/16” thick steel and the reservoir protection. (y)

DEC44037-6152-41F1-BBED-484115091E81.jpeg

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also went with @JcrOffroad skids, Full protection of the reservoir, angled bottom surface for drainage, .120" thick steel.
I was already pulling the shocks out to add a lift, so it just made sense to install a skid plate at the same time.

JustSendItDude

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m happy with the Skyjacker skid plates. Pretty easy to put on, just sucks torquing back up to 240ft/lbs.

Ford Bronco Rear Shock skid plates image

nd4spd569

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did yours just slip on easily?? When I loosened my bolt the mounts spread out and I couldn’t slip the skid on. I had to use a c clamp to close the gap back and then had to rubber mallet the skid over the mounts to get it to line up and bolt it all back together.
Sponsored