Sponsored

Rear suspension harsh on SAS… any fixes?

James Cole

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch (hopefully)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello guys…

I find the suspension on my Badsquach with bilstein extremely firm at the rear, are there any fixes for it? I would like to keep the stock height and was thinking of the OEM Fox that come with the HOSS 3.0

Let me know your thoughts and thanks!
JC
Sponsored

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I never thought mine were, but getting adjustable aftermarket coilovers may be your best option. I have the RadFlo coilovers and love the way it rides on the 'softest' setting. Fox, Kings, and Icon all offer adjustable sets as well.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Bronco has a solid axle and is built on a frame, so you should expect a more "truck-like" suspension than most SUVs on the road these days. Keep that in mind as you go through this. There are limits to what you can do with a solid axle.

But anyway... some ideas:
  • Swap out the springs for lower rated springs
  • Go with aftermarket adjustable coilovers like @Bird Dog Off Road suggested.
  • Remove the rear sway bar link. You'll get a little more body roll by removing the sway bar but it should loosen up the suspension a smidgen. I don't think this will completely fix the issue for you, but unlike the other options, is free.
I wouldn't swap to HOSS 3.0. There are some big improvement to HOSS 3.0 for the front suspension, but if the goal is to improve the rear suspension, you won't notice a whole lot. Considering the cost of switching to HOSS 3.0 it makes way more sense to just go with aftermarket adjustable coilovers in my opinion.

OP
OP

James Cole

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco has a solid axle and is built on a frame, so you should expect a more "truck-like" suspension than most SUVs on the road these days. Keep that in mind as you go through this. There are limits to what you can do with a solid axle.

But anyway... some ideas:
  • Swap out the springs for lower rated springs
  • Go with aftermarket adjustable coilovers like @Bird Dog Off Road suggested.
  • Remove the rear sway bar link. You'll get a little more body roll by removing the sway bar but it should loosen up the suspension a smidgen. I don't think this will completely fix the issue for you, but unlike the other options, is free.
I wouldn't swap to HOSS 3.0. There are some big improvement to HOSS 3.0 for the front suspension, but if the goal is to improve the rear suspension, you won't notice a whole lot. Considering the cost of switching to HOSS 3.0 it makes way more sense to just go with aftermarket adjustable coilovers in my opinion.

Thanks a lot! will look into this!

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Check your rear tire pressure and make sure its not too far over 39. If you aren't regularly hauling or towing, I would do a quick chalk test and see how low you can drop the rear PSI. I was driving around on ~35PSI warm with the OEM Sasquatch tires and the ride was MUCH softer.

Other than that, find a lift brand that has the characteristics you're looking for. If a soft ride on the road is your top priority, something progressive and adjustable will get you the most comfortable ride but you're going to pay top dollar for that. Fox/King are the two major players but there are plenty of others.. Avoid Icon Dynamics as they are digressive (IMO better off-road, stiffer on road).

Sponsored

Danh63

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X4, BMW 840, Chevy Trailboss
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hello guys…

I find the suspension on my Badsquach with bilstein extremely firm at the rear, are there any fixes for it? I would like to keep the stock height and was thinking of the OEM Fox that come with the HOSS 3.0

JC
I have same issue. Almost like it is bottoming out

Will check the tire pressure first. Hopefully an adjustment like theherofails will so the trick

OP
OP

James Cole

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Welp I am running front 32psi and rear… 25! And still is very firm…

MrBell

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just bought a set of Bilstein 6112 coil-overs for my 2 door Badlands. My Bronco exhibits a stiff, choppy ride on rough city streets. Based on my research the 6112 should provide a much nicer ride without the chop. Installation happens in a few weeks... i'll report back.

Losy

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I agree aftermarket coilover shocks such as King 2.5 will make a big difference in handling and a more plush ride. Besides the way they handle off road. But a lot of money if you are not going off pavement much. Airing down like others mentioned really helps too. I ran my Badlands SAS at 34-36 PSI and that helped. I just was not a fan of the SAS Bilstein shocks. When I switched to Kings 2.5 it was a world of difference in handling and ride.

Sponsored

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello guys…

JC
I went from stock sasquatch to 6100's at top setting for 37's.
There was a slight improvement.

Then added core 4x4 adjustable control arms.
They provided a slight improvement.

I ended up switching to Eibach 2.0 pro truck coilovers.
Had to swap out the front springs to 550 lb because of sagging. (4dr 2.7 Badlands)

The Eibach coilovers ride much softer on road than the sasquatch setup.

It's a really nice ride now.

Sky is the limit with a fat wallet 😆

MrBell

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Today I had an opportunity to drive (back to back) a stock Badlands and First Edition equipped with the Bilstein 6112's. This difference was significant, the Bilstein's absorbed all of the chop on a heavily rutted roadway. The ride felt planted and precise with good road feel, but the harsh firmness was gone.

Thanks to @chtucker for letting me demo his 2 Broncos. Very insightful and looking forward to putting the 6112 on my 2 door Badlands.

OP
OP

James Cole

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Today I had an opportunity to drive (back to back) a stock Badlands and First Edition equipped with the Bilstein 6112's. This difference was significant, the Bilstein's absorbed all of the chop on a heavily rutted roadway. The ride felt planted and precise with good road feel, but the harsh firmness was gone.

Thanks to @chtucker for letting me demo his 2 Broncos. Very insightful and looking forward to putting the 6112 on my 2 door Badlands.
Thanks for the info… can 6112 be setup to ride at stock height?

MrBell

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the info… can 6112 be setup to ride at stock height?
My understanding is that while the shock is adjustable, the lowest setting adds about 1/2" in height. I plan to use the lowest as this will give it the most travel absorbing bumps.

I live in a city environment where the roads are in poor condition... I'm looking forward to a less fatiguing ride.