Sponsored

Reasonable to buy a bronco for sale at a dealership and then trade in once my actual order is built?

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's a risk. I don't care what other people think they know. There is no way to tell what the resale or trade in value on the Bronco will be a year from now. You could either make out like a fat rat. Or lose your ass.

Everyone swears how well Wrangler resale value is and how well they hold their value. I had a 2015 2 door Wrangler hardtop in yellow I bought used. The color with the best resale value. I was going to trade it in for a brand new 2017 Wrangler. KBB/NADA was around $30k. The dealer I bought it from would only give me $21k with no discount on the new one. Shopping around the best offer I got was $22500.

I have a feeling no matter how rare they still are the first run of Broncos may not hold their value very well with all of the already reported issues. And one's that haven't come to light yet. I may be wrong. I hope for the sake of current owners I'm wrong. But in all honesty no one can tell at this point.
Some Wrangler owners install aftermarket wheels and other expensive items, then sell and talk about the great price they got for it. If they've put several thousand dollars into the vehicle, then that great selling price might not be so great after all.

Also on this site with people eating and breathing Broncos, the idea of value might be inflated just a tad, lol. Bronco will be a mass produced vehicle, and competing with Wrangler on price point. It's not some limited run vehicle commanding high prices after these initial constraints.

Personally I would not buy a new car right now with Cook County tax on the purchase and depreciation driving it off the lot, then having to screw around selling it shortly. Maybe I find some chump willing to make it worthwhile or maybe not.
Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

some chump willing to make it worthwhile or maybe not.
:rolleyes: You aren't willing to follow your own signature? Inflation is over 5%. You are not losing money by purchasing a vehicle in short supply right now if you get a great interest rate and you don't pay a $20k mark up. (My F150 is worth quite a bit more than what it was worth last year and it is high mileage.) I feel like people don't understand the actual unprecedented times were are living in vis-a-vis the automotive market, COVID, and chip shortages.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reasonable? Absolutely not. Possible? Sure.

GotGOAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
For the OP: Your ordered Bronco is a Lightning Blue FE. According to Ford (not sure if I trust “the Plan”), your FE is going to be built in MY21.
MY21 ends in December. Do you want to try to sell a 5/6 month old vehicle when/if your FE arrives?
Now, if your were “One of Us” (2 door MOD Top) that would change my thinking…

Mango&Moose

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xB / Toyota Sienna. RIP my 96 Ranger Splash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you think you can out kick the taxes, go for it. Fortune favors the bold.

Sponsored

CooterBrownATX

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it's still in demand, you may sell it for more than you paid.

My Bronco is replacing my 2020 Tacoma Off Road 4x4. Just sold it to Vroom.com for $4,000 more than I paid new two years ago.

Just ridiculous what the used car market has turned into.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nothing like panic buying at the top of the market and then losing your shirt. But as long as you look like one of the cool kids, why not.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know how "falling apart" your current ride is, but if I knew I'd have my ordered new Bronco in the next 4 months I'd not want to deal with buying and selling and buying again in that timeframe. I'd just wait it out. Unless your current one is literally falling apart and you'd have no other way to get to where you need to go.

I just really don't like buying cars and dislike selling them privately even more (and trade in always screws you out of $ IMO). I think I'd just ride my current ride and see if it actually does fall apart, then look at the options and timing.

balucipher

Big Bend
First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you can get a bronco at MSRP I think you can pretty easily sell it for profit in a few months.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
:rolleyes: You aren't willing to follow your own signature? Inflation is over 5%. You are not losing money by purchasing a vehicle in short supply right now if you get a great interest rate and you don't pay a $20k mark up. (My F150 is worth quite a bit more than what it was worth last year and it is high mileage.) I feel like people don't understand the actual unprecedented times were are living in vis-a-vis the automotive market, COVID, and chip shortages.
I bought Ford stock at $5.80 a share and it's doubled, so yeah I understand the times. (Plus GM and Stellantis which also doubled, because yeah you got to have that risk to have real financial adventure.) Although now I've got to decide when to get out, lol.

People often try to rationalize buying new car after new car, and how it makes financial sense. If I buy a new Bronco now at $45k, I'm spending 4k off the bat in Cook County taxes. On a mass produced vehicle that will soon be mass produced, not some longer term limited vehicle with enforced scarcity production.

Sure maybe in these times, shorter term it will be easier to find a chump to unload the Bronco at a decent price, try it out and let us know how it goes.
Sponsored