Standing_Bear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 2022 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get a badlands with Sasquatch to drive in Colorado snow or San Diego surf fishing. ?
People would pull over just by looking at Bronco's stance in their rear view mirror. :)
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
whoa ?

weaker front axle- so what. My 7 year old wrangler has dana30 front axle and running 35”. Bronco BD is stronger with tires it comes with.

Too high of gears- so what. A BD has better differential gear than a Jeep rubicon that only has 4.1. So Bronco gear ratio still better than Jeep Rubicon built to rock crawl and run the Rubicon trail.

no front locker- So what? I don’t have a front locker on my non rubicon wrangler. Been climbing rocks for years.

everyone can buy whatever they want. But don’t for a second think these non locker Broncos are not very capable. And remember it is only an opinion of kodiakisland put out for you to read. At least I can comment to actual real life experiences with the limited off road capable vehicle I use as a daily driver.
I would not scare new owners into thinking they have to lock up a rear to go off the highway like he posted above, that’s just bonkers to tell people that.
You absolutely need at least a LS on the rear axle if your going to be doing off-roading, it is not hard to lose traction on one front and one rear wheel and with two open axles it’s going to be short journey to trouble.

As far as the front axle the Dana 30 is an iron axle and the M190 is a small aluminum setup. Can it take 35s? Maybe but I probably wouldn’t venture over 33s until we had evidence from these forums where the max out point is for those units.

Ambassador

Badlands
First Name
Standing_Bear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 2022 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, hard to say without knowing how you will use it. Snow and sand conditions vary greatly.

I use 4wd and 4lo on my Tacoma weekly. I drive through fields, rough 2 tracks, seasonal forest service roads, logging roads, mud, snow, moderate water crossings. I’m driving to hunting camps in BC, MT, WY, CO, in all kinds of conditions.

I’m getting the BD, although I would be getting the Badlands if this wasn’t a 4th vehicle.

you should at the very least get a model with rear locker.
We need to get together with Broncos for Colorado Public land hunting

Gizmo

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2020 Porsche Macan 23 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So the 35 MT tires will be fine in the snow??

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
So the 35 MT tires will be fine in the snow??
Not ideal, I would go to a snow rated all-terrain if snow is a consistent issue.

Though I used to have Cooper Discoverer STT (previous gen) mud tires that were good enough in the snow.

Gizmo

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2020 Porsche Macan 23 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not ideal, I would go to a snow rated all-terrain if snow is a consistent issue.

Though I used to have Cooper Discoverer STT (previous gen) mud tires that were good in the snow.
That is what i thought, i really want the WT, but live in a high snow level area

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
That is what i thought, i really want the WT, but live in a high snow level area
I mean if you take the mud terrains to a good tire place and add a little bit more siping to the tires you would probably be fine. I definitely wouldn’t let a small issue like tires ruin the idea of your desired trim level.

Granted if you live on the side of the mountain I may be less inclined to risk it.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

locking rear diff(first time you need is well worth the price)and bfg ko2 tires are a all around good tire i've found,all the other stuff is just preference for you,all the bronco lines will be capable.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I drove a Samurai for 3 years in when I lived in Iceland. Open diffs, never once got stuck, be it hill climbing, rock crawling, muddy dirt roads, virgin snow fields, snow banks, drifts.

Some days they would close the streets due to weather, I would end up being one of the unlucky slobs shuttling folks to and from work.
Pulled a suburban out of a drift with it once....

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

to admit I'm doing N-O rock climbing, NONE ..... I'm ONLY concerned with heavy snow, mileage and driving in sand when I surf fish.....

which trim level should I start researching ?

appreciate it ?
Personal opinion here:
Base is the cheapest route and with better tires will handle snow and sand (as long as you stay mostly on the wetter stuff near the water) just fine. Looser sand? I'd go something with bigger tires and at least a rear locker.
If I were in your shoes with those two things being my main obstacle off-pavement (and in all actuality it probably will be other than some trail riding and probably pushing some trails I shouldn't be on) I would go BD. Good off-road capabilities above the base, and you get heated seat options (good for those PA winters and if you've ever been near the ocean in the winter- that wind!) Plus it has the easy-care interior that is ore conducive to sand and snow/slushy stuff cleanout.
Price-wise I'm looking hard at the BD. Die-hard WT guy from the start with numerous diversions to the BL. I really want the V6, Auto, etc. But for the price the BD is really looking good and plenty capable to me right now.
Long story, hope it helps! And enjoy your decision, whichever it is. (y)

As an edit:
I had a stock 04 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Crew Cab with the regular V6 that never once even thought about hesitating in any snow or sand I put it in, and the Bronc is more capable out of the gate (with the right tires) according to my best guess.
I rode on the sand down in the NC outer banks a lot with a buddy in a Silverado 4X4 and he would get buried in the loose sand all the time. $300 a pop to get the wrecker out there to unstick him. I wasn't about to try and pull his heavier vehicle with the diffs buried out with mine and get stuck too.
You'll be fine no matter which ya choose.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I drove a Samurai for 3 years in when I lived in Iceland. Open diffs, never once got stuck, be it hill climbing, rock crawling, muddy dirt roads, virgin snow fields, snow banks, drifts.

Some days they would close the streets due to weather, I would end up being one of the unlucky slobs shuttling folks to and from work.
Pulled a suburban out of a drift with it once....
I’m not saying it’s impossible to go without lockers but the samurai also weighs much less than the Bronco.

I’ve also seen a 2WD truck with a locker outshine many 4wd vehicles with open diffs.

Both a locked 2wd truck and an open 4x4 have the same number of powered wheels. What’s the point in having 4wd but adding no additional capability over a locked 2wd.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Personal opinion here:
Base is the cheapest route and with better tires will handle snow and sand (as long as you stay mostly on the wetter stuff near the water) just fine. Looser sand? I'd go something with bigger tires and at least a rear locker.
If I were in your shoes with those two things being my main obstacle off-pavement (and in all actuality it probably will be other than some trail riding and probably pushing some trails I shouldn't be on) I would go BD. Good off-road capabilities above the base, and you get heated seat options (good for those PA winters and if you've ever been near the ocean in the winter- that wind!) Plus it has the easy-care interior that is ore conducive to sand and snow/slushy stuff cleanout.
Price-wise I'm looking hard at the BD. Die-hard WT guy from the start with numerous diversions to the BL. I really want the V6, Auto, etc. But for the price the BD is really looking good and plenty capable to me right now.
Long story, hope it helps! And enjoy your decision, whichever it is. (y)

As an edit:
I had a stock 04 Nissan Frontier 4X4 Crew Cab with the regular V6 that never once even thought about hesitating in any snow or sand I put it in, and the Bronc is more capable out of the gate (with the right tires) according to my best guess.
I rode on the sand down in the NC outer banks a lot with a buddy in a Silverado 4X4 and he would get buried in the loose sand all the time. $300 a pop to get the wrecker out there to unstick him. I wasn't about to try and pull his heavier vehicle with the diffs buried out with mine and get stuck too.
You'll be fine no matter which ya choose.
I imagine your Silverado dude wasn’t airing down or had low profile tires? I see duallys out there regularly and they have no issues when properly aired down.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I imagine your Silverado dude wasn’t airing down or had low profile tires? I see duallys out there regularly and they have no issues when properly aired down.
No, he's just a hot-dog. And yes, no airing down and the street tires that come on it don't help.
He's the dude we all know who says "hey ya'll, watch this!" prior to some calamity or bad decision.
Some of the first times he got stuck he actually started in 2WD trying to throw rooster tails of sand. You can imagine how that ended up.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
No, he's just a hot-dog. And yes, no airing down and the street tires that come on it don't help.
He's the dude we all know who says "hey ya'll, watch this!" prior to some calamity or bad decision.
Some of the first times he got stuck he actually started in 2WD trying to throw rooster tails of sand. You can imagine how that ended up.
Yep, explains that
Sponsored