First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
to admit I'm doing N-O rock climbing, NONE ..... I'm ONLY concerned with heavy snow, mileage and driving in sand when I surf fish.....

which trim level should I start researching ?

appreciate it ?
whatever trim level you get for sure you get the upgraded transfer case, 4wdA is for snow covered roads.
If you want the heated seats then big bend and higher trims have that.
Add the rear locker if the trim level does not have it, and you should be good for all the things your describeing.
Sponsored

tonyxit

Base
First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
to admit I'm doing N-O rock climbing, NONE ..... I'm ONLY concerned with heavy snow, mileage and driving in sand when I surf fish.....

appreciate it ?
Keep in mind...you have woken the hardcore gear heads and off roaders.... the base will suit you fine...

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

appreciate it ?
For plowing through very deep snow you need tall tires for clearance and lockers.

For deep soft sand you need wide tires for flotation. Maximum power and lockers could be helpful where you can't keep your speed up or plan to stop.

For <12" snow on improved roads or for packed sand, then any with snow-rated tires will do. Lockers aren't needed and won't help because you will probably be going faster than 20mph.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

whoa ?

weaker front axle- so what. My 7 year old wrangler has dana30 front axle and running 35”. Bronco BD is stronger with tires it comes with.

Too high of gears- so what. A BD has better differential gear than a Jeep rubicon that only has 4.1. So Bronco gear ratio still better than Jeep Rubicon built to rock crawl and run the Rubicon trail.

no front locker- So what? I don’t have a front locker on my non rubicon wrangler. Been climbing rocks for years.

everyone can buy whatever they want. But don’t for a second think these non locker Broncos are not very capable. And remember it is only an opinion of kodiakisland put out for you to read. At least I can comment to actual real life experiences with the limited off road capable vehicle I use as a daily driver.
I would not scare new owners into thinking they have to lock up a rear to go off the highway like he posted above, that’s just bonkers to tell people that.

The context of what you quoted was about rock crawler capable, so if you want to advocate for open diffs, high gears, and the cheapest axle for rock crawling, go ahead. I don't care as long as you aren't in front of me.

I use my 4wd every week. I learned a long time ago I don't like walking. Lockers and LSDs go a long way to keeping you going down the trail, even in a 2wd. You don't want them, don't get them. I use my DD in areas with no cell service and am usually alone. I'll take the locker or LSD every day. As long as you have plenty of recovery gear and friends to pull you out, it's probably less of a big deal.

I can't imagine buying a new vehicle for off road use and purposefully handicapping it, but it's not my money, so spend as you choose.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We need to get together with Broncos for Colorado Public land hunting
Looks like I'll be there chasing elk next fall. I took my SIL on a mnt goat scouting trip this summer to MT and he's hooked on mountain hunting. It was his first experience on some of those tight mountain switchbacks driving to the trailhead. I kept reminding him as bad as it was, picture it with snow during season. Hopefully I'll have the Bronco by then.

Sponsored

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

appreciate it ?
My brother the gearhead would tell you to get tall, narrow tires for both sand and snow.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My brother the gearhead would tell you to get tall, narrow tires for both sand and snow.
Narrow for sand? I’ve not heard that. What is the advantage of airing down a tire in sand if it’s not to make the tire wider?

I had a Suzuki Samari (called a Sierra) in Austraila with narrow stock street tires and it was useless in the dunes until I aired down to under 8psi.

Last edited:

Monkey

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition MAX, F-350, a Tesla, & More...
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
HEAVY snow? Well, which trim level is really up to you because they’re all the same Bronco, it’s just bout the bells and whistles you’re willing to pay for as extras. But when it comes to heavy snow, here’s my take on it: You want the 2.7 engine option and probably not the soft top…. No need to Sasquatch but I personally would. Remote start and engine block heater are handy if you reside where it gets really cold often. I like the heated seats and heated steering wheel — which basically forces me into the high trims / lux package for that stupid steering wheel option. Really hard to do heated steering wheel as aftermarket. There are solutions, but I have yet to see any good ones that are better than what I could cobble together on my own.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Narrow for sand? I’ve not heard that. What is the advantage of airing down a tire in sand if it’s not to make the tire wider?

I had a Suzuki Samari in Austraila with narrow stock street tires and it was useless in the dunes until I aired down to under 8psi.
You don't air down. Look at military vehicles in the Mideast. High and tight. Personally I go tall and fat as I can without lifting. Don't know how the tall and skinny would work on a Bronco, but he's the gearhead. And he has done a couple of contracting tours in Iraq leading the teams bolting IED cages on Hummers.

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a Suzuki Samari in Austraila with narrow stock street tires and it was useless in the dunes until I aired down to under 8psi.
Ive seen many people say that airing down lengthens the footprint more than widens it. Also that wider tires, to some extent at least, make it harder to push through sand.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You don't air down. Look at military vehicles in the Mideast. High and tight. Personally I go tall and fat as I can without lifting. Don't know how the tall and skinny would work on a Bronco, but he's the gearhead. And he has done a couple of contracting tours in Iraq leading the teams bolting IED cages on Hummers.
Considering what you’re saying, and not denying it since I have no experience with military vehicles, there must be other factors affecting the sand performance. Military vehicles would have a differently-constructed and treaded tire than my little Suzuki had. I literally had it with the OEM standard P-rated tires with a plain, unaggressive street tread. I was new to sand wheeling when we lived there - I’m a mountain boy from Canada - and I could not even get over the barrier dune to get onto the beach side on my first camping trip into the dunes. A local suggested I air down from road pressure to “Ya want them around 6psi, mate. Then you’ll be right!” I took them to 8psi and the difference in traction in the sand was dramatic. I easily climbed the dunes and never looked back.

Every trip to the sand after that I aired down. Oh, and I did not have lockers on either end of the Sierra (my bad, it was a Sierra in Australia).

So, the vehicle type and tire construction will have a significant influence on the tires you need for sand and snow, IMO.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ive seen many people say that airing down lengthens the footprint more than widens it. Also that wider tires, to some extent at least, make it harder to push through sand.
Interesting.

Airing down would do both widen and lengthen as the tire squats and flexes with lower pressure. There must be a sweet spot where the floatation provided is perfect with the digging ability of the tire itself.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

appreciate it ?
If you mean by heavy snow, deep snow, remember only those with 255 tires are rated for chains. To get sand (and deep snow) mode you need BB minimum. Also need at least BB to get locker w/o Sas. To get 4A (which I think would be good for your use) without Sas you need at least OBX. QED: OBX for you, unless you go Sas, then anything, but remember no chains.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Considering what you’re saying, and not denying it since I have no experience with military vehicles, there must be other factors affecting the sand performance. Military vehicles would have a differently-constructed and treaded tire than my little Suzuki had. I literally had it with the OEM standard P-rated tires with a plain, unaggressive street tread. I was new to sand wheeling when we lived there - I’m a mountain boy from Canada - and I could not even get over the barrier dune to get onto the beach side on my first camping trip into the dunes. A local suggested I air down from road pressure to “Ya want them around 6psi, mate. Then you’ll be right!” I took them to 8psi and the difference in traction in the sand was dramatic. I easily climbed the dunes and never looked back.

Every trip to the sand after that I aired down. Oh, and I did not have lockers on either end of the Sierra (my bad, it was a Sierra in Australia).

So, the vehicle type and tire construction will have a significant influence on the tires you need for sand and snow, IMO.
Gotcha. All the broncos are mostly the same vehicle. Does diff locking and the swaybar affect driving in snow/sand? I'm not a rock crawler and I just went with a Base that I'm planning on putting some 285/75r17 Mickey Thompsons on if they don't rub. I would have cheaped out and done it on the stock wheelies, but those have a 7" wide wheel. Not to mention most of the tires that size end up weighing 60 lbs. or more so going with a 17" wheel will get me close to 34s and save me 10 to 15 pounds per tire to help out the 2.3l engine.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With my F150 Sport (2019) I’ve used the rear diff lock a few times to back out of 4’ deep wet snow that’s buried my truck at the ski hill. This is with X-Ice winters on 17” rims, no chains, and 265s. I tried easing out in 4H first with no diff lock and it was starting to spin, so I locked the rear. No issues whatsoever getting out after that.

That’s the biggest test I’ve put the 2019 F150 through. In a similar situation the year before with my 2009 F150 FX4 and KO2s, I couldn’t get out - I had to dig away most of the snow behind the truck and the front wheels to get unstuck.

Though we’ve been talking about the OEM tires here, I’ve proven to myself that nothing will perform in snow like a good set of winters.

I’ll be trying the KO2s this winter with my Bronco, but I’ll be on the lookout for a set of winter-specific wheels and tires at a good price.
Sponsored