Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas, F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If allocations go as announced, I’ll probably see my Bronco in 2024. Nevertheless, I’m going to start building a good recovery kit assuming no winch.

I like a buy once, cry once purchase strategy when possible so I’ll be buying and adding gear over time. While not going super light, the goal is to buy lighter versus heavier gear since Broncos have limited capacity. In the meantime I’ll be using the recovery gear when we camp in spring.

Thoughts on Factor 55, Rhino USA, Frontrunner, ARB? Any other good brands to focus on?
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My knowledge is definitely out of date with all of the modern recovery gear. My gear is just a mishmash of random stuff from throughout the years, and most if it is from my dad's old kit that he put together in the early 1980s. So I don't think I will be super helpful, but I'll share with you my list, and maybe others will post and it'll be beneficial for the both of us.
  • Collapsible shovel - Thinking the Tyger TG-SV8U3217, bit it's pricey. My current shovel is Vietnam War era from a military surplus store.
  • Kinetic ropes - Yankum Ropes. Don't have any kinetic ropes currently.
  • Soft shackles - Probably also Yankum ropes, but undecided. All of my current shackles are all hard shackles
  • Tree saver - Probably Factor 55's tree saver, but undecided.
  • Air compressor - Viair 400C. Currently have the Harbor Freight cheapo model.
  • Winch - I assume WARN is still the go-to? Plugged in my dad's ancient winch and it now has a very unpleasant grinding sound and tends to blow fuses when under load. So probably should upgrade.
If anyone has any recommendations/feedback/personal experiences, would love to hear them.

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My knowledge is definitely out of date with all of the modern recovery gear. My gear is just a mishmash of random stuff from throughout the years, and most if it is from my dad's old kit that he put together in the early 1980s. So I don't think I will be super helpful, but I'll share with you my list, and maybe others will post and it'll be beneficial for the both of us.
  • Collapsible shovel - Thinking the Tyger TG-SV8U3217, bit it's pricey. My current shovel is Vietnam War era from a military surplus store.
  • Kinetic ropes - Yankum Ropes. Don't have any kinetic ropes currently.
  • Soft shackles - Probably also Yankum ropes, but undecided. All of my current shackles are all hard shackles
  • Tree saver - Probably Factor 55's tree saver, but undecided.
  • Air compressor - Viair 400C. Currently have the Harbor Freight cheapo model.
  • Winch - I assume WARN is still the go-to? Plugged in my dad's ancient winch and it now has a very unpleasant grinding sound and tends to blow fuses when under load. So probably should upgrade.
If anyone has any recommendations/feedback/personal experiences, would love to hear them.
I have a kinetic rope and soft shackles for now. I'll probably add a winch when I see someone come up with a decent option for the badlands that doesn't block the camera.

OP
OP
Lainez

Lainez

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas, F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a kinetic rope and soft shackles for now. I'll probably add a winch when I see someone come up with a decent option for the badlands that doesn't block the camera.
What kinetic rope did you choose?

Sponsored

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love the soft shackles. This was a thing I highly recommend.

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What kinetic rope did you choose?
I have Matt's Off-Road Recovery rope. It's a yellow Yankum rope and I wanted to support that youtube channel because it was highly entertaining during covid.

BlarneyStoned

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saleen
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd buy one of the Safe-Xtract kits from ASR (https://www.asroffroad.com/safe-xtract-products/) long before I bought one of the B&P kits Ford offers. These fit the buy once cry once motto and are much more complete than the Ford/Warn/Viking type winch kits. They also have an app which can help you know how to rig up a recovery.

7P sells kits (https://7p.io/gear/recoverygear/expedition/) at Overland Expo when they are there, the guys involved are legit, with many of them being Camel Trophy veterans or involved in the rigging industry. Since their kits are kind of hard to come by outside of Overland Expo, the contents are useful as a reference of stuff to include in a DIY kit. I know the gear they use has been put through it's paces - FWIW they are big fans of Factor 55 too.

When I get a winch I'll also get the Factor 55 flat link or ultrahook for sure.

I also have a Matt's Offroad recovery rope from Yankum (https://mattsoffroadrecovery.com/collections/recovery-gear-yankum-ropes/products/matts-recovery-rope), I was going to buy a Bubba Rope (https://www.bubbarope.com/) but wanted to support their channel. Haven't had a reason to use it yet, but I'll probably be picking up a full recovery kit from ASR and probably a few additional soft shackles beyond that.

FootPain

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BB 17 Explorer 04 Mach 1 98 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My recovery rope and soft shackles are from gear america, traction boards are from x-bull I think. Haven't decided on a winch yet.

BlarneyStoned

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saleen
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Collapsible shovel - Thinking the Tyger TG-SV8U3217, bit it's pricey. My current shovel is Vietnam War era from a military surplus store.
That's pretty nifty looking, only thing it doesn't have is a T-Shaped handle, which after having to dig my mustang out of a lake bed (stupid result from being nice and pulling off the road) I discovered the straight handle mini-shovel I had killed my palm after stabbing it into the pea-gravel dozens of times. I bought one of these https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/rtc9659_shovel_rovers_north_expedition afterwards and it's been much nicer on my hand when in use.

Sponsored

Mikerider

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Ranger, Mustang, Focus, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Factor 55, ARB or Master pull for me. good gear is worth it.

Mdeamon

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai tucson
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Let me know if you find out how to install
HF badland on the modular bunper

Thanks

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I decided to not buy a kit since most of them seem to cater to winch owners and included a lot of stuff I didn't necessarily want.

So I've been building it piece by piece.

Bubba Rope:
1 30' Renegade rope
2 Gator Jaw soft shackles
1 10' Tree Hugger tree saver that I'll use as a bridle

GearAmerica
2 Uber shackles

JT Brooks
Tire Deflator Pro

ARB
Line damper
Tire repair kit

I'd been looking at Bubba Rope, ARB, Factor 55, GearAmerica, and AEV. Those are what I went with (so far). It seems like a great setup for yanking or getting yanked. Currently looking for a good bag or box to put them in.

Last edited:

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs