Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn’t look at this as arguing. More a chance to educate people about the differences between static and kinetic ropes/straps

Not understanding the difference could lead to a less that optimal outcome…

ETA: Here is a good description

https://www.dirtrenegade.com/blogs/...covery-tow-straps-snatch-straps-kinetic-ropes
Maybe not so much arguing but debating semantics.

We always just have a few straps between everyone. Some old some new, some crappy, some decent. Use one, if it breaks, try someone else. Where theres a will there is a way.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah this is labeled wrong but many of these are.

Tow straps have no give. They are designed for a slow steady (non dynamic) pull. These are made from polyester.

Recover straps have 20%+ give. They are designed for a quick "shock" pull which applies and increased amount of force to pop something stuck out of its situation. These are made with Nylon..and No they do not have to be round ropes. You can buy flat nylon recovery straps.

If you take a tow strap (made a polyester) And you yank on it, it can snap and be dangerous.

Ironically, you're not supposed to really tow with a real recovery strap. So this would be a good purchase, in that you use a real recovery strap to pop someone out, and then use a tow strap if needed to continue to pull them (eg They can't run under their own power)

If you want an actual recovery strap, I haven't had a need to use this one yet, But it was reasonable and made of nylon.

ALL-TOP 100% Nylon Recovery... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07597WW53?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe not so much arguing but debating semantics.

We always just have a few straps between everyone. Some old some new, some crappy, some decent. Use one, if it breaks, try someone else. Where theres a will there is a way.
I don't think we were debating "semantics", in my mind were were more concerned about the notion of using the wrong tool for an important job where safety and reliability are of utmost importance . . . wouldn't want our friends in the community to put themselves in a regrettable situation, that's all. :)

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Older Post I realize but still very relevant. Pick up my new 2023 Bronco in a couple of weeks and wanted to thank OP (and contributors) for the education. Being new to off-roading, was wondering the difference between the static tow straps and kinetic "snatch" straps/ropes.

Way too easy to just buy something "shiny" then find out on the trail it's not going to work!

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Recovery straps don't have to be expensive, and despite what people say, you don't need a bungee/kinetic rope to do a recovery. That said, there is a difference in what you get from ARB and a $20 strap from Northern Tool. I've used both, and both made recoveries. The ARB strap has way more stretch and significantly reduced shock loads on both vehicles.

Back in the day, $60-$70 for an ARB strap was a lot of money, now with the cost of kinetic ropes, they seem like a relative bargain, and take up way less space in your gear back or in the back of the rig. Unless you're going to be mud bogging you'll be fine with a quality recovery strap.
Sponsored