Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

(not a mad message, but maybe it would work)
@EveryoneTalkingAboutBumpStickers
Just charge them rent. see how they react to that lol
Sponsored

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am in VA and I go out of state as VA charges a dealer doc fee of $699. NY state charges $75.

I purchased my GEN1 and GEN2 Raptor from NY at invoice and plan to buy my Bronco from the same dealership. I know this dealership well and they already said they will sell the bronco to me at invoice and perhaps even lower.
Do you mind sharing which dealer? I live in NE Ohio and would be willing to make the trip.

LalasBronco

Badlands
First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco (past), 74 Super Beetle, Ram, 70 MG
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am in VA and I go out of state as VA charges a dealer doc fee of $699. NY state charges $75.
As long as Ford will do X plan on the Broncos, I'm good as Crossroads WF said they'll accept it. That caps their fees at $100. If they aren't going to do that then I'll be looking at other dealerships.

PwrStrkr

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How do you know that the dealer is charging these hidden "mandatory" fees? I contacted my local dealer to find out if they charge ADM and support X-plan (assuming it's offered on the Bronco). They didn't mention anything about mandatory dealer services.

LalasBronco

Badlands
First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco (past), 74 Super Beetle, Ram, 70 MG
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do you know that the dealer is charging these hidden "mandatory" fees? I contacted my local dealer to find out if they charge ADM and support X-plan (assuming it's offered on the Bronco). They didn't mention anything about mandatory dealer services.
Go to their website and see if there's fine print anywhere. It's on all 3 of the local Ford dealers here.....at the very bottom of the main page.

Fine print.png

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
all NOVA dealerships charge a dealer doc fee of $699.

Most states regulate Dealer doc fees. VA does not. VA has a weird law that states you can't charge different customers different amounts. You must charge them the same amount and that amount in Northern VA is $699

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Just call and ask and they will tell you. Ask them "what do you charge for a dealer doc fee" .. sometimes the refer to it as a "document fee"

PwrStrkr

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
all NOVA dealerships charge a dealer doc fee of $699.

Most states regulate Dealer doc fees. VA does not. VA has a weird law that states you can't charge different customers different amounts. You must charge them the same amount and that amount in Northern VA is $699
Oh that's going to suck. I sent a note back to the dealer to inquire about this additional fee. I'm at Sheehy Warrenton which has confirmed no ADM and accepts X-plan. How about you?

jasonof2010

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata, Focus ST, GMC Sierra beater truck
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

I purchased my GEN1 and GEN2 Raptor from NY at invoice and plan to buy my Bronco from the same dealership. I know this dealership well and they already said they will sell the bronco to me at invoice and perhaps even lower.
I'm in Virginia, when I bought my Focus ST I went to Maryland because the fees are capped at $300.00.

PwrStrkr

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm in Virginia, when I bought my Focus ST I went to Maryland because the fees are capped at $300.00.
I really don't want to mess with buying out of state, not to mention perks from buying from a local dealer. After all the rig is going to have to be serviced throughout it's lifespan (granted not all of which will be dealer performed). Buying out of state means I have to deal with sales tax collection & difference between states, registration burden with VA dmv, etc.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you don't bring your own $$ they are going to get you on rate, if you have a trade they will hold some there. The doc will get thrown in after you are sitting in front of the finance desk along with the destination and delivery charge they didn't have in the price when they were working numbers. So, everyone worried about doc fees should be thinking about finance and trade well before finalizing your order then getting the zinger after you've already flown in to pick it up. Guarantee people will fold and pay the b/s fees because they aren't going to go home empty handed. Seen it a 1000 times from dealers all around me and people asking for help getting out of a deal they got buried in.

jasonof2010

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I really don't want to mess with buying out of state, not to mention perks from buying from a local dealer. After all the rig is going to have to be serviced throughout it's lifespan (granted not all of which will be dealer performed). Buying out of state means I have to deal with sales tax collection & difference between states, registration burden with VA dmv, etc.
You pay the sales tax for the state you register the car and they handled the Virginia registration for me. I did have to get a VA state inspection on my own. In it really was no different than any other car buying experience I've ever had.

I hate dealers, they will not service my vehicles except for warranty work. I wish all the car manufacturers could sell direct like Tesla wants to do. Dealers are literal middle men who add several thousand to the cost of a vehicle.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I buy out of state all the time.

Here's is what happens when you buy out of state.

Example. I purchase my 2019 Raptor from NY. The dealer doc fee is $75 and they charge me $20 for a drive away tag. So I pay these 2 fees and whatever the cost of the vehicle. I DO NOT PAY ANY SALES TAX OR ANY NY STATE RELATED TAXES

You always pay taxes and fees where you live and not where you purchase from.

When I get back to VA, I visit DMV and show them the paperwork and they charge me sales tax and also a registration fee ... BTW when you buy in VA, the delaership collects this fee in behalf of the state.

Then I register the vehicle with my county.

that's it. You do not pay anything extra when you are buying out of state. In my example, I actually saved money.

Here's another tidbit ... I always put 5K on a credit card when I purchase a car. WHY? I get points. Then when I get back to VA I pay my sales tax and registration fee at DMV with my credit card. Again for points.

BTW .. I always pay off my credit card at the end of each month as not to avoid interest. I have never had credit card debt since 1994.

My credit card pays me about $1200 in cash each year due to points. :)

jasonof2010

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I buy out of state all the time.

Here's is what happens when you buy out of state.

Example. I purchase my 2019 Raptor from NY. The dealer doc fee is $75 and they charge me $20 for a drive away tag. So I pay these 2 fees and whatever the cost of the vehicle. I DO NOT PAY ANY SALES TAX OR ANY NY STATE RELATED TAXES

You always pay taxes and fees where you live and not where you purchase from.

When I get back to VA, I visit DMV and show them the paperwork and they charge me sales tax and also a registration fee ... BTW when you buy in VA, the delaership collects this fee in behalf of the state.
That makes sense, I guess because I bought a car right across the border in Maryland they just collected that tax and sent it off for me, they also did the registration for me as well.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
In a metropolitan area like Maryland, DC and VA ... these 3 jurisdiction have a mechanism to collect taxes on behalf of the neighboring state.

I am in VA and when I purchase in NY ... NY and VA does not have an agreement or mechanism to collect taxes so the NY dealership leaves it up to me to pay when I get back to VA.

That makes sense, I guess because I bought a car right across the border in Maryland they just collected that tax and sent it off for me, they also did the registration for me as well.
Sponsored