Sponsored

Remote start - how doesn’t it get stolen?

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Remote start - assuming that most folks live in suburbs and cities, and not in the woods ... how doesn’t this wind up getting your car stolen? I gotta think that thieves would be savvy to the idea of nice new cars sitting unguarded in the driveway warming up. Why not jump in, drive it away and stow it in a hiding spot where the rest of the crew makes a pirate key and chipset for it?
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Remote start - assuming that most folks live in suburbs and cities, and not in the woods ... how doesn’t this wind up getting your car stolen? I gotta think that thieves would be savvy to the idea of nice new cars sitting unguarded in the driveway warming up. Why not jump in, drive it away and stow it in a hiding spot where the rest of the crew makes a pirate key and chipset for it?
Key stays with you.

If you get in and put your foot on the brake to try to put the vehicle in drive without the key in proximity, the vehicle shuts off.

Sponsored

dck82

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In my wife’s Toyota the key has to be pretty close too. She had it in her backpack in the backseat and it wouldn’t start.

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Omg some do these post are just ??‍♂
I’m sorry but just because you feel it’s a nonsense question doesn’t mean that others don’t feel different. There was really no need to reply with that statement IMO. Maybe this person has never had a remote start vehicle before and just didn’t know how it all worked. This is a platform to get educated and chat about such things. He or she shouldn’t be ridiculed for simply not knowing and asking a simple question.

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m sorry but just because you feel it’s a nonsense question doesn’t mean that others don’t feel different. There was really no need to reply with that statement IMO. Maybe this person has never had a remote start vehicle before and just didn’t know how it all worked. This is a platform to get educated and chat about such things. He or she shouldn’t be ridiculed for simply not knowing and asking a simple question.
Well said and it only makes the site more toxic. Others see this and then are reluctant to ask questions so they're not publicly ridiculed. Everyone here at one time was a noob and asked their share of (what others might have thought) as dumb questions.

Before some say use the search bar it doesn't always help. I've tried searching for things and it doesn't always give you an easy answer. When you have many new members joining there's going to many repeated questions so instead of criticizing them just help them or skip over the post. ?

Sponsored

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
This was probably explained in another post but I honestly didn't read them when I noticed all the sniping going on.

My Jeep Cherokee automatically locks the doors when you remote start it. Once in the vehicle I have to actually put the key in the ignition before I can put it in gear. So a thief can't just drive away even if they could get in.

I don't know how this works with proximity keys where you don't have to put a key in an ignition but my guess is that its more or less the same and if your close enough to the vehicle for proximity to matter then you're close enough to clearly see the thief breaking into your car.

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
After I remote start my ram, if you hit the gas without the key the truck shuts off. You also have to push the ignition button once you get in the truck with the key fob also in the truck. Then you can actually drive it

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a remote start installed on my new 1990 Ford Ranger 30 years ago so the tech has been around for decades and is quite safe . As others have said , even back then you had to put the key in the ignition and turn to run without touching the brake first to be able to put in into gear . Now they even have vehicles that will start and back itself out of a parking space before you get in :)

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They have an interlock and they are locked, you have to lock the car before activating it and you have to push the start button with the key to get it to move

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs