Odd-6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Driving without doors is illegal in the province of BC. There was a bulletin out in 2013 that stated if a vehicle was manufactured with doors it must have doors while on the public roads. They mentioned the Jeep CJ 1968 manufactured without doors as being legal to drive without doors.

Pretty lame. Tube doors it is.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Oh heck, I live in the south. If it runs we can drive it.......:p:D.

Undecided

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco, 2002 Tacoma, 2015 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I had added an aftermarket side mirror but the rule here is if it came with doors it has to have them. The old CJ's are except as you could order them without doors.
It seems pretty common for states to have "if it came with X, it must have X" laws. The biggest discrepency seems to be how local jurisdictions interpret that as far as things designed to be removeable. A strict interpretation would mean the top would have to stay on since it came with one, but in the real world convertibles are common. I have heard of areas where they are strict that Toyota pickups cannot go doorless, but Jeeps can because they were designed to be removeable.

There was an article in a local paper a while back responding to a reader asking how it is legal for Jeeps to drive around without doors. The paper published a response from local law enforcement basically saying if it came with doors, it must have them. But again, in the real world, I do not know of anyone in a doorless Jeep having issues as long as they still had mirrors - which are specifically required by law.

I think it's one they try to leave alone because, if challenged, removing something designed to be removable is a fair interpretaion unless specifically prohibited.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
But again, in the real world, I do not know of anyone in a doorless Jeep having issues as long as they still had mirrors - which are specifically required by law.
Depends on the state. I read in Illinois only one rear facing mirror is required, which in that case could be just the middle windshield mounted rear view mirror, without any side mirrors.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The real question, if it is illegal, what the fine is and how often (if ever) someone has been pulled over.

I'm sure it's happened to a "friend of a friend" but I've never heard of i happening.

Sponsored

jimmy234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
IDK, that guy is a idiot.
What are you talking about? Dude's awesome. Edit: Oh, you're from Texas. Now I see why you said that lol Truth hurts, bud.

Anyway, PA it's definitely illegal and you will eventually get pulled over. It may take a few days, months, or years, but it will happen and mostly depends on the area you're in and the mood of the officer that sees you. It's completely dumb, and the only reason motorcyclists don't need helmets for awhile is because they did an awesome job of of organizing and pushing for legislation back in the day. Jeep owners (me included) currently suck at organizing and pushing for action. Someone will get a nice petition going and it may get thousands of signatures, maybe even given to a representative, but then we always let off the gas as a large group and nothing happens. It's especially mind boggling because we have huge accessories dealers in the state like Quadratec.

The sad truth is that, as with most things, it's all just money and politics in the end.

Jp215

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As a Pennsylvania resident I can say from my own experience , I know 1 person that was a Jeep owner who was pulled over 1 time for no door. He was given a warning. No as a pa state inspection technician, I have had to fail 1 person for not having the doors. If a Jeep comes in without doors I tell them run home and put them on and come back. Had one guy who was a jackass about so I followed state law and tested the vehicle in as received condition. Since he was a jackass I failed him for no doors, tires sticking out to far, fog lights not canceling when head lights go on(actual law in pa) and there was something else i can’t remember.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My EB has no doors. In FL it's legal, you just must have one rearview mirror, so my interior mirror does the trick for that.
Sponsored