Sponsored

Removable roofs and possibility of leaks?

ocnorBdroF1202

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GMC 1500 SLT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So has there been any discussion on B6G about Ford conquering the hard top leaky roof syndrome that has plagued Jeep owners for years? Just curious as I've owned three Jeeps in the past and each leaked like a sieve...sucks to spend $50K+ on a vehicle, only to find out after the first rain that the roof leaks, then you take it to the dealer numerous times under warranty to have them chase the problem and never figure out a solid fix. A year later, you're left driving a $50K mildew smelling vehicle. I'll be going with a BL with no carpet, to hopefully I can avoid the problem from Ford, but just curious if there's been any talk that I was unable to find on other posts about this...thanks!
Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Take this as a grain of salt, but I’ve got a 2010 wrangler and I have zero issues with leaks. Dry as a bone even in miserable weather. And from what I can tell the previous owner took the freedom panels off quite a bit. I think the leak problems a lot of the time are user-caused, and I’m not concerned about the Bronco. They did a lot of testing on the tops, and were able to learn from Jeep.

JohnnyK

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was wondering this as well but there's none out there in the wild yet to get any real data. I haven't had any leaking issues with my JKU at all. There are plenty of leaky Jeeps out there, a lot caused by improper fitting of the freedom panels like Nick said and some that just leaked from the factory. I have a fried that had his 2dr lemon lawed cause it leaked so bad.

Still trying to figure out how the Bronco top is secured. I'm curious to see how they handle the 2 seams on the 4dr over that big span where the sport bar would be.

Sponsored

qnet

Big Bend
First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2, Jeep Wrangler JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My Jeep never leaked! One thing is you gotta do take care of those seals! Tops out wipe everything down to get the dust and junk out were they always seed properly!

Ford Bronco Removable roofs and possibility of leaks? Screenshot_20201026-122857
Never had a jeep with the hard top, but what you said makes total sense. I had a Jeep with a soft top and it never leaked, but had wondered about the ones with freedom panels.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2010 JKU that I have owned since 2013 and haven't had a single leak. I don't think it's as common as it used to be and I will be very surprised if the Bronco leaks.

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Never had a jeep with the hard top, but what you said makes total sense. I had a Jeep with a soft top and it never leaked, but had wondered about the ones with freedom panels.
Oh yeah everytime I took those panels out, took a terry cloth to them clean everything. Sometimes little windex!

ChrisKz

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've owned 6 Wranglers in my life. The only issues I've ever had is a tiny bit of water coming during a car wash with soft tops. I've owned two hard tops with their freedom panels and never had a leak.

The tops were only ever an issue when it was raining and getting in / out of the Jeeps. The gutter / drip rail system wasn't the best at catching / diverting water and you might get a little more wet than you would with any other vehicle. I've never hesitated at getting another Jeep because of water and I wouldn't expect Ford to blow it.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Previous owner of a hardtop JKU that never leaked. Having been on a Wrangler forum since 2015, most of the leak complaints were user errors. Owners were gorilla gripping the knobs to tighten them too much. They only require a few turns to seat. Improper alignment as well. The dirty seals have already been mentioned.

Sponsored

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sure its going to leak its a utility vehicle not a caddy or benz.

Canyonero02

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2021 Jeep JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2016 JKU here with 80k miles, owned since new. Wipe the rubber seals down with a damp rag once in a while and leaks shouldn't be an issue. Those 2 large screws are also just for running the freedom panels only, without the hard top. Mine have been in a drawer in my garage for 4 years, no leaks.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

you dont have to worry about leaks if the modular roof is not even offered in the B&P