Sponsored

Removable roofs and possibility of leaks?

Appalachia_Ewok

Base
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 PT Cruiser, '62 DeVille, '96 XJ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm more concerned about the soft top leaking with frameless doors... Especially since they have barely even shown us the soft top.

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

User error ranks no. 1 with Jeep panels.

Neglect of the seals, heavy use, and climate tearing them up is no. 2.

I've had friends on the Front Range use theirs for 2-3 years without problems starting up, and then when they did, it was wear and tear from use.

spyderman01

Base
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Base
Take this as a grain of salt, but I’ve got a 2010 wrangler and I have zero issues with leaks. Dry as a bone even in miserable weather. And from what I can tell the previous owner took the freedom panels off quite a bit. I think the leak problems a lot of the time are user-caused, and I’m not concerned about the Bronco. They did a lot of testing on the tops, and were able to learn from Jeep.
I never had a problem with my 15 JKU, even if I didn't re-install the mushroom knobs, and even after damaging the front seal with the best top for hard tops. And this is through torrential downpours in Florida where I couldn't even see. So I'm not concerned with the hard top and doors on. Now with them off, that is another issue all together with all the pop up storms!

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Take this as a grain of salt, but I’ve got a 2010 wrangler and I have zero issues with leaks. Dry as a bone even in miserable weather. And from what I can tell the previous owner took the freedom panels off quite a bit. I think the leak problems a lot of the time are user-caused, and I’m not concerned about the Bronco. They did a lot of testing on the tops, and were able to learn from Jeep.
My passenger side freedom panel leaks sometimes. No matter how many seams I have sealed, it actually fills a little with water if parked up hill in heavy rain.

I also have wind leakage in both front corners but the water doesn't come in.

In my view the more seals you have in the top, the more the opportunity for wind and water leaks - it comes with the territory. But life is good when those panels are removed!

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

why do you think the Modular roof is presumed to be quieter?
Based on the construction and materials. The outside layer is thicker and heavier...

...but I don’t have first hand experience. I’m just going off of what people who work for the company who makes the tops have surmised themselves.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My passenger side freedom panel leaks sometimes. No matter how many seams I have sealed, it actually fills a little with water if parked up hill in heavy rain.

I also have wind leakage in both front corners but the water doesn't come in.

In my view the more seals you have in the top, the more the opportunity for wind and water leaks - it comes with the territory. But life is good when those panels are removed!
My 2014 doesn’t leak... except when it does. My vehicle wont move for a week of rain... and it will stay dry for days and then all of a sudden I’ll check on it and they’ll be a 1/4” of water in the footwell.

I’ve got my finger’s crossed that Ford saw the low-hanging fruit on this, and with a fresh set of eyes, were able to engineer something better than FCA. Just looking at the panels on my JKU, you can see exactly where things could have been designed better.

I actually think the frameless doors might improve our chances of staying dry (since the window will seal up inside a more permanent structure of the roof, instead of relying on door frames sealing against the body).

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My 18 JL wrangler has never leaked.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

so the modular roof is not offered yet? can the back clamshell be replaced later to add the removable rear windows or is it prudent to just get the soft top and add the modular roof later?

any thoughts?

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On my JKU the leak happens on top of driver’s door. Right where the gutter stops above the seal.

I remove my front panels a lot which put a lot of stress on the foam seals wiggling the panels in place.
In summer I have the top of and a bimini top, foam seals are exposed and dried of after 2 years.
Result is an amazing waterfall ?

I changed the seals and it’s now back to normal. Well there is still all tha water from the gutters flooding the front seats when it’s raining but that’s a design issue!

Bronco roof is different we shall see how that goes!

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've owed 3 jeeps, all had hard and soft tops. Never had leaks. Leaks are typically user error.
Sponsored