Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the HT on order with my Wildtrack and will get a Besttop ST since it's MUCH cheaper to get the ST.
How long did the entire process take?
TY for the write-up!
Bestop's install manual claims the initial install should take 2.5 hours. I had my wife helping me assemble and it took us about 4.5 hours. We weren't racing but I would be pretty surprised if someone could actually get it done in 2.5 hours without having done it before.

The removal process took about an hour and could probably be done in 30 mins if I had to do it again.
Sponsored

OP
OP
edernest

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there a company or does bestop make a soft top that is easier to remove? I remember my shift to on my Jeep was 4 bolts and lifted off the brackets.
The Ford OEM soft top can fold fully back and be removed in about 20 minutes, I am told. So that's one option. Bestop also sells the Sunrider which replaces only the front panels and can be easily swapped on and off.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Great job and thank you for the contribution! Some clear pics and instructions on the internet... amazing.

...but what are these "seasons" you speak of? Hurricane season? Snowbird season? Are snowbirds squatting on Bronco soft tops and not coming down until you hit 45mph?
:LOL: here in CA, we're entering our 4th and final summer of the year.

Very well written, OP! The rig looks great.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All said, even with stopping to take photos I had the top completely removed in less than an hour and I think next year I could easily do it in about a half hour.
Did the same. I'd say 1/2 hr. tops if you did the install yourself. I took pictures for reference because I won't remember in the spring and that install manual is hell. Even with the pictures and taking it slow it was maybe 45 minutes. Re-install should be fast.

Sponsored

Ashlesophia

Wildtrak
First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Cadillac CT5, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Can’t thank you enough for this post!!! I’m about to put my hard top back on as well.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is very much appreciated! I have a 2 door, but this is directly applicable. You have saved me a lot of headache and grief. I was dreading trying to weed through the install manual to figure it out. That thing is a damn book.

OP
OP
edernest

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is very much appreciated! I have a 2 door, but this is directly applicable. You have saved me a lot of headache and grief. I was dreading trying to weed through the install manual to figure it out. That thing is a damn book.
Hope it helps, I would imagine the 2 door process is very similar apart from the top rail. The main steps will likely still be the same

Sponsored

rayhil67

Black Diamond
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sahara 2006 hummer H3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for this, you have answered a lot of questions I had... Normally Besttop runs a special around the holidays and I've been "on the fence" weather I want to go full soft top or sunrider. The info on the soft-top removal and re-install has been pretty vague. I did transition from full soft to sunrider on my JK, but only because the 4 dr HT was a pain to take on and off and to store for summer. (3inch lift + 35inch tires made it a 3 person job) Now that I have a 2dr the hardtop is not an issue, but it seems the soft top is a little bit of a project to get on and off.

Anyway your post has given me some hope, I will go with the full soft top

smahones

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Living in Michigan, it was always my intention to remove the Bestop soft top that I installed this summer once Fall hit and reinstall my original factory hard top, though I didn't encounter much information about how that process would go. Before I purchased, I contacted Bestop support about it and was told it was possible to remove it for the season and that it should take about 1.5 hours. They said that they did not have any documentation on how to do it unfortunately. It doesn't make sense to follow the original installation instructions in reverse because much of that process involves the initial assembly of the bows and top structure, which does not need to be undone. So yesterday I took it upon myself to figure out the minimal amount of steps to accomplish the removal and get me to a point where I can reinstall my hard top, and took photos along the way in hopes that it might help someone looking for that information later (or perhaps me next year when I need to do this again). All said, even with stopping to take photos I had the top completely removed in less than an hour and I think next year I could easily do it in about a half hour.

NOTE: These instructions are for moving from the Bestop to factory hard top. If your vehicle originally came with the OEM soft top, some of the brackets along the top may be different than what's described here.

IMG_6262.jpg

Step 1: Remove soft top rear windows
Flip up the velcro top flap along the rear and sides. Open the tailgate and remove the rear window by lifting the bottom support bar out toward you and pulling the sides out of their channels. Once loose slide the top of the rear window out by moving it either left or right. The side windows have a red snap that attaches them to the tailgate; disconnect these. Work the bottom and front edges out of their channels until only the top is attached, and slide the whole window toward the rear of the vehicle to remove.

IMG_6264.jpg

Step 2: Disconnect all velcro connections around bows from the inside and fold back
Open up the velcro straps on each bow and tuck them above. I'm not sure if this is entirely necessary but seems to give the whole assembly more flexibility for removal. Fold back soft top for remaining removal process, giving you access to all the bolts you will need to remove

IMG_6270.jpg

IMG_6265.jpg

Step 3: Disconnect rear bow assembly

Using a T40 socket and wrench, disconnect the rear bow assembly from the vehicle by removing the four bolts. Retain these for future reinstallation.

IMG_6266.jpg

Step 4: Disconnect rear halo

The rear halo is attached to the speaker pods. Using a T30, remove these bolts on both left and right. You'll need to reinstall these OEM bolts to hold the speaker pods to the frame after sliding the bracket out of place.

IMG_6269.jpg

Step 5: Remove rear bracket bolts
Using a T50 socket, remove these bolts and retain these for future reinstallation.

IMG_6267.jpg

Step 6: Remove remaining bolts along top rail
Using a T50 socket, remove the four remaining OEM bolts holding the middle and front brackets on the vehicle. These will all need to be reinstalled, so retain them and remember that the shortest bolt is used on the hole closest to the front of the vehicle. Make note of the positioning of the lower OEM top rail bracket and make sure it gets reinstalled for proper hard top operation (there's an arrow that shows you which way goes toward the front if you forget). Retain all plastic washers for future reinstallation.

IMG_6268.jpg

IMG_6275.jpg

Step 7: Remove soft top from vehicle
This is the one part I thought it was necessary to have another person, and preferably both of you are tall enough to clear the top above the vehicle (even more true for SAS owners). Fold the entire rear halo assembly over the top of the the bows to make the soft top as small as possible. With a partner on each side of the vehicle lift the entire assembly straight up from the vehicle. The foam insulation may be somewhat stuck along the top rail; just continue with gentle pressure upwards to release it. Walk the whole assembly toward the rear and away from the vehicle. You can also remove the front-most top rail section at this time and reinstall all OEM bolts.

IMG_6271.jpg

Step 8: Remove vertical window retainers
On the C-pillar, remove the plastic window retainer bolts using a T30 socket. Retain these for future installation. The plastic retainer piece should slide out easily though it might be attached at the top with some foam adhesive, so just carefully peel that away from the vehicle. Find the original OEM T30 bolts that were removed from the C-pillar during initial install and reinsert them (you did remember to save those, right??)

IMG_6274.jpg

Step 9: Remove tailgate brackets
Using a T50 socket, remove the four bolts along each side. These are OEM bolts that you will use to reinstall the hard top, so hang on to them. Remove the T30 bolts from the inside of the tailgate toward the back. Retain these for future installation. The rear tailgate brackets can now be removed as one piece revealing the insulation and vinyl wrap that was used during initial install. This all can be left on the vehicle and used in conjunction with the hard top.

IMG_6272.jpg

IMG_6273.jpg

IMG_6279.jpg

Step 10: Reinstall hard top
Place the hard top shell back on the vehicle. Using the 8 T50 OEM hard top shell bolts removed during the previous step along with two additional OEM bolts which you hopefully retained during initial install of the Bestop (used along top rail), reconnect the hard top shell to the vehicle. You can see in the photo below that the tailgate insulation does not interfere with the use of the hard top and in fact may even provide an additional level of noise insulation in that area. At this point all that remains is to find a spot to store the main soft top assembly, brackets and hardware for winter and to count the days until next summer. Hope you found this helpful!

IMG_6281.jpg

IMG_6280.jpg
Living in Michigan, it was always my intention to remove the Bestop soft top that I installed this summer once Fall hit and reinstall my original factory hard top, though I didn't encounter much information about how that process would go. Before I purchased, I contacted Bestop support about it and was told it was possible to remove it for the season and that it should take about 1.5 hours. They said that they did not have any documentation on how to do it unfortunately. It doesn't make sense to follow the original installation instructions in reverse because much of that process involves the initial assembly of the bows and top structure, which does not need to be undone. So yesterday I took it upon myself to figure out the minimal amount of steps to accomplish the removal and get me to a point where I can reinstall my hard top, and took photos along the way in hopes that it might help someone looking for that information later (or perhaps me next year when I need to do this again). All said, even with stopping to take photos I had the top completely removed in less than an hour and I think next year I could easily do it in about a half hour.

NOTE: These instructions are for moving from the Bestop to factory hard top. If your vehicle originally came with the OEM soft top, some of the brackets along the top may be different than what's described here.

IMG_6262.jpg

Flip up the velcro top flap along the rear and sides. Open the tailgate and remove the rear window by lifting the bottom support bar out toward you and pulling the sides out of their channels. Once loose slide the top of the rear window out by moving it either left or right. The side windows have a red snap that attaches them to the tailgate; disconnect these. Work the bottom and front edges out of their channels until only the top is attached, and slide the whole window toward the rear of the vehicle to remove.

IMG_6264.jpg

Step 2: Disconnect all velcro connections around bows from the inside and fold back
Open up the velcro straps on each bow and tuck them above. I'm not sure if this is entirely necessary but seems to give the whole assembly more flexibility for removal. Fold back soft top for remaining removal process, giving you access to all the bolts you will need to remove

IMG_6270.jpg

IMG_6265.jpg

Using a T40 socket and wrench, disconnect the rear bow assembly from the vehicle by removing the four bolts. Retain these for future reinstallation.

IMG_6266.jpg

The rear halo is attached to the speaker pods. Using a T30, remove these bolts on both left and right. You'll need to reinstall these OEM bolts to hold the speaker pods to the frame after sliding the bracket out of place.

IMG_6269.jpg

Using a T50 socket, remove these bolts and retain these for future reinstallation.

IMG_6267.jpg

Using a T50 socket, remove the four remaining OEM bolts holding the middle and front brackets on the vehicle. These will all need to be reinstalled, so retain them and remember that the shortest bolt is used on the hole closest to the front of the vehicle. Make note of the positioning of the lower OEM top rail bracket and make sure it gets reinstalled for proper hard top operation (there's an arrow that shows you which way goes toward the front if you forget). Retain all plastic washers for future reinstallation.

IMG_6268.jpg

IMG_6275.jpg

This is the one part I thought it was necessary to have another person, and preferably both of you are tall enough to clear the top above the vehicle (even more true for SAS owners). Fold the entire rear halo assembly over the top of the the bows to make the soft top as small as possible. With a partner on each side of the vehicle lift the entire assembly straight up from the vehicle. The foam insulation may be somewhat stuck along the top rail; just continue with gentle pressure upwards to release it. Walk the whole assembly toward the rear and away from the vehicle. You can also remove the front-most top rail section at this time and reinstall all OEM bolts.

IMG_6271.jpg

On the C-pillar, remove the plastic window retainer bolts using a T30 socket. Retain these for future installation. The plastic retainer piece should slide out easily though it might be attached at the top with some foam adhesive, so just carefully peel that away from the vehicle. Find the original OEM T30 bolts that were removed from the C-pillar during initial install and reinsert them (you did remember to save those, right??)

IMG_6274.jpg

Using a T50 socket, remove the four bolts along each side. These are OEM bolts that you will use to reinstall the hard top, so hang on to them. Remove the T30 bolts from the inside of the tailgate toward the back. Retain these for future installation. The rear tailgate brackets can now be removed as one piece revealing the insulation and vinyl wrap that was used during initial install. This all can be left on the vehicle and used in conjunction with the hard top.

IMG_6272.jpg

IMG_6273.jpg

IMG_6279.jpg

Place the hard top shell back on the vehicle. Using the 8 T50 OEM hard top shell bolts removed during the previous step along with two additional OEM bolts which you hopefully retained during initial install of the Bestop (used along top rail), reconnect the hard top shell to the vehicle. You can see in the photo below that the tailgate insulation does not interfere with the use of the hard top and in fact may even provide an additional level of noise insulation in that area. At this point all that remains is to find a spot to store the main soft top assembly, brackets and hardware for winter and to count the days until next summer. Hope you found this helpful!

IMG_6281.jpg

IMG_6280.jpg
THANK YOU!!!!!

Cape Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I did it this weekend. These instructions couldn't have been more on point and HELPFUL. @edernest don't hesitate to post any tips/trick of the re-installation in the spring.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

IMG_6262.jpg

IMG_6264.jpg

IMG_6270.jpg

IMG_6265.jpg

IMG_6266.jpg

IMG_6269.jpg

IMG_6267.jpg

IMG_6268.jpg

IMG_6275.jpg

IMG_6271.jpg

IMG_6274.jpg

IMG_6272.jpg

IMG_6273.jpg

IMG_6279.jpg

IMG_6281.jpg

IMG_6280.jpg
Very nice write-up! Hadn't even looked to see if anyone had documented this - did mine this morning and was going to report my experience (but I was not thoughtful enough to document the process like you did!)

I concur that this was easy - I did the pretty much the same and was actually expecting it to be more of a "pain", but it was very simple. I set the pieces aside in the other bay of the garage, lowered the MIC top from its hoisted perch, and then put the soft top up on a 4x8 hanging storage rack I had from Costco. Covered the soft top from dust with a blanket and the center section cover for the MIC.

I will say that I think the insulation/rubber made it a little "tighter" than before, but all snugged up perfectly, and now I'm set until April or so. Removal took about 2 hours as I was alone and did it leisurely. Also took the dogs for one last topless ride of the season to Starbucks for puppicinos. I should add that the mesh top you see if from J-Tops - I love it and did remove it for storage as well since this was not the hard-top version with the cutouts for the latches.

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_0140

OP
OP
edernest

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did it this weekend. These instructions couldn't have been more on point and HELPFUL. @edernest don't hesitate to post any tips/trick of the re-installation in the spring.
Good idea, I'll do it if I remember. I'm hoping it will be even easier now that I know what came off, probably most of the time will be spent finding the parts and remembering which bolts went where.
Sponsored