Sponsored

Removing/Replacing Center Caps on Stock Wheels?

Aurongel

Outer Banks
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hello everyone, greetings from Austin TX šŸ¤ 

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with what the process was like for removing and replacing the center caps for the stock tires?

I have an Outer Banks with the stock 18ā€ wheels that Iā€™m looking to have powder coated in glossy black sometime in the near future with matching lugs and wheel locks to go with it. The only outstanding detail left to black out are the Bronco logo OEM caps that come attached to every wheel except the spare. If possible, Iā€™d like to replace these with basic black caps.

Iā€™ve attempted to locate information online about that specific measurement for the stock tires but have thus far found nothing specific.

Ford Bronco Removing/Replacing Center Caps on Stock Wheels? B664A903-5E1F-46C8-994C-CE9336331AA0
Sponsored

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've used guitar picks to remove my center caps.

FishKzor

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello everyone, greetings from Austin TX šŸ¤ 

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with what the process was like for removing and replacing the center caps for the stock tires?

I have an Outer Banks with the stock 18ā€ wheels that Iā€™m looking to have powder coated in glossy black sometime in the near future with matching lugs and wheel locks to go with it. The only outstanding detail left to black out are the Bronco logo OEM caps that come attached to every wheel except the spare. If possible, Iā€™d like to replace these with basic black caps.

Iā€™ve attempted to locate information online about that specific measurement for the stock tires but have thus far found nothing specific.

Ford Bronco Removing/Replacing Center Caps on Stock Wheels? B664A903-5E1F-46C8-994C-CE9336331AA0
Did you ever find a good way of removing these without ruining the paint around the cap?

OP
OP
Aurongel

Aurongel

Outer Banks
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did you ever find a good way of removing these without ruining the paint around the cap?
I did actually, I had great results using a mix of plastic pry tools and guitar picks. The plastic pry tools recommended frequently on here for disassembling the interior plastic trim pieces worked just fine for this.

As for the dimensions of the caps themselves, I absolutely could NOT find this information on any of Fordā€™s online resources. Thanks to trial and error I determined they are:

Outer: 65mm
Inner: 61mm

I wanted to ā€œblack outā€ my stock Outer Banks wheels with black lugs, wheel locks and the center Bronco logo caps. I used these from Amazon:
https://a.co/d/jg7oQt9

FishKzor

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did actually, I had great results using a mix of plastic pry tools and guitar picks. The plastic pry tools recommended frequently on here for disassembling the interior plastic trim pieces worked just fine for this.

As for the dimensions of the caps themselves, I absolutely could NOT find this information on any of Fordā€™s online resources. Thanks to trial and error I determined they are:

I wanted to ā€œblack outā€ my stock Outer Banks wheels with black lugs, wheel locks and the center Bronco logo caps. I used these from Amazon:
Oh, nice. I literally did the same thing with my Mustang. Looked great.

For my Bronco though, I wanted to switch things up, and ended up buying these vinyl overlays from Sticker fab (though mine are inverted: gloss black background, matte black horse).

Ford Bronco Removing/Replacing Center Caps on Stock Wheels? Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 2.03.32 PM

After watching an install video, I think removing the caps will make things easier, so I appreciate the info on removal!

Here's a link to vinyl (and other items) if interested:
https://www.stickerfab.com/collections/2021-ford-bronco/products/wheel-cap-overlays-2021-bronco

Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Got a pic with it installed?

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You guys are nuking this...

Take the wheel off, use the backside of a screwdriver to knock it out... how I've done it for years to mount and balance tires.

Obviously keep your hand there to catch it.

topnotch2023

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

Which size did you order on Amazon. I don't see any with the size perimeters you mentioned. Furthermore, my OD measured 63mm or 2.5 inches. I just want to ensure that I order the correct size. Your help is greatly appreciated.

GOATS

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Imaginary Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

What size did you buy? Thanks!

Screenshot_20230503-095544_Amazon Shopping.jpg

OP
OP
Aurongel

Aurongel

Outer Banks
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What size did you buy? Thanks!

My apologies but since I made that post I switched my stock OBX wheels to the RTR Tech 6 18" which have entirely different center cap inner/outer diameters.

For what it's worth though, I purchased from this brand on Amazon and have been 100% satisfied by their quality and return policy during the trial and error phase of finding the right size.
Sponsored