Sponsored

Removing sound headliner if I don’t like it?

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Upholstery glue, which I can only imagine is what will be used here, will be a pain to remove. It can be done, but no guarantees on what the top substrate will look like when you’re done, or if the top will have any kind of reaction with the solvent you use to remove the glue. My thoughts are leave it off your order if you’re hesitant. Can always go with hotheads as originally intended
Aftermarket pieces definitely. Didn’t occur to me that the factory would be taped as well. Good catch
From a factory perspective, they wouldn't mess with the CoverKing tape strips, they are way too time consuming, spray in adhesive would be far faster.

I don't imagine the oem headliner will come out without a fight and leave residue behind.
You're probably spot on.

A heat gun and some Goof-off/WD-40 would get the OE liner out, but it would be a lot of work.
Sponsored

RunninRiot

Badlands
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These headliners are most likely made from PET (recycled plastic bottles) and are washable. The biggest issue would be spraying it directly with a large amount of water, trapping water in between the liner and the top, thus making your Bronco smell mildewy if the water doesn’t evaporate in time. Worst case scenario if you over saturate it is to point a fan at the top or a hairdryer until it dries.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish someone had done a quantification of how HH product compares to CK. Decibel difference, heat difference. It’s hard to ignore free but lots of self nagging doubt - is it comparable or is HH really that much better?
Should be lots of comparisons from Jeep owners in their forums... I remember researching options when I settled on HH for my Jeep.

TenSeven

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands MGV person here. MIC top only. Lux too, so I do have extra sound deadening in my package. My order is in. I’m in this for real.
I'm right there with you and decided to decline the free factory headliner and will wait to see what the aftermarket produces.

Just like with wheels, I'm certain the AM will have products that are superior to the factory in both form and function.

Sponsored

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Stupid glue residue question...

Let’s say you do remove factory and install HH or any aftermarket..wouldn’t it pretty much cover the same area? So would you really need to remove any “glue residue”?

I’m planning to keep mine, Ive never had one (had a soft top on my jeep) so like someone pointed out, i probably wouldn’t know the difference.

just curious for those worried about putting in a lot of work trying to take the residue out...

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Let’s say you do remove factory and install HH or any aftermarket..wouldn’t it pretty much cover the same area? So would you really need to remove any “glue residue”?

I’m planning to keep mine, Ive never had one (had a soft top on my jeep) so like someone pointed out, i probably wouldn’t know the difference.

just curious for those worried about putting in a lot of work trying to take the residue out...
The new liner will adhere better without the residue.

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Interesting thread. I’m thinking about removing the factory cup holders and replacing them with aftermarket cup holders.

subscribing to see the outcome on this particular feature.

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands MGV person here. MIC top only. Lux too, so I do have extra sound deadening in my package. My order is in. I’m in this for real.

The free headliner sounds nice. The price is great. But what if I don’t like it? Too hot/cold, doesn’t do much for the sound, don’t like the look, patches won’t stick to it, etc.?

How would I change it out for the Hot Heads product without F’n up the look of the MIC top? Anybody been down this road with a Jeep?
Should be easy to remove and keep off or replace.

HH you just add with double sided tape.

Don't confuse your lux sound deadening as anything relating to the top. From what I've read it's an engine bay thing.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Eh...this may work or may not. But that isn't the issue. It is the fact that the OEM is 100% coverage and the aftermarkets are not. So you would have to clean the glue from the spots you still see.

There is an idea... Get your HH, and only remove the factory headliner just in the spots where theirs fit. Then you'd have the best of both worlds.

Sponsored
OP
OP

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Interesting thread. I’m thinking about removing the factory cup holders and replacing them with aftermarket cup holders.

subscribing to see the outcome on this particular feature.
If you have 4 door MGV then yes, that’s a likely future move. Netting on the doors isn’t going to hold a paper cup of coffee. It’s really foolish that the MGV lacks a proper backseat cup holder.

and yes, I know you were just having some fun
:)

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wish someone had done a quantification of how HH product compares to CK. Decibel difference, heat difference. It’s hard to ignore free but lots of self nagging doubt - is it comparable or is HH really that much better?
Won't exactly answer your question, but to educate myself, I watched some YouTube videos of before/after installs of various products on Jeep hardtops. Guys testing with temp sensing guns etc.

What I saw:
1) A reduction in underside surface temp seems legit, if we accept the legitimacy of the videos I saw measuring the temp reduction. (How well this translates into reduced cabin air temps I'm not sure.)
2) In terms of sound, some users claim improvement, others claim not so much. Seems to me it would at least reduce some echo, similar to carpet/drapes in a room.
3) Appearance? Well that is subjective.

Bottom line, my CJ-7 never had carpet anywhere floor or ceiling, and I loved it. I like the bare Bronco top including the look, and hopefully the fabric is removable without any destruction of the underside surface if desired. Seems a win/win Ford offering free, as long as we can remove the fabric without issue.

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So it begs the question, if the factory is upgrading to the liner at no charge, did they notice more noise than they were expecting?

I was hoping for no liner as I wanted to add some extra sound deadener and insulation before adding in the Topliner.

Guess I'll find out how hard it is to remove.

Last edited:

RogueAce70

Wildtrak
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This may be a dumb question but why can’t we put the HH on top of the OEM sound deadening headliner? If the HH is installed with tape strips why can’t we just add it, if we need the additional insulation? I’ve never installed or used these items but from the Utube videos I’ve seen seems reasonable enough to be done that way.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This may be a dumb question but why can’t we put the HH on top of the OEM sound deadening headliner? If the HH is installed with tape strips why can’t we just add it, if we need the additional insulation? I’ve never installed or used these items but from the Utube videos I’ve seen seems reasonable enough to be done that way.
The possibility that the added weight will pull the OEM headliner down.
Sponsored