2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like the title states, if you think removing the soft top with a short wife/significant other/neighbor/friend etc. will be easy, think again. Went to go pull the soft top off the wife's bronco this morning as I'm swapping it out for the bestop trektop and I didn't realize it would be so heavy and my wife who is pretty strong but as tall as a grasshoppers kneecap at 5'2" would have such a hard time lifting her side of the top's frame out of the mounting pocket and then walking it back over the spare tire & 3rd brake light. This was even after putting the bronco in the street and having her stand on the curb giving her an extra 4-5" of height. I can literally remove my LJ wrangler's soft top by myself and carry it into the garage.

Good news is...we're still talking and married but we both had some words of frustration towards the heavy a** top. Bad news is...the strut definitely rubbed against the rollbar when removing the top and I'll need to touch that up.
Sponsored

MikeyFrog

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like the title states, if you think removing the soft top with a short wife/significant other/neighbor/friend etc. will be easy, think again. Went to go pull the soft top off the wife's bronco this morning as I'm swapping it out for the bestop trektop and I didn't realize it would be so heavy and my wife who is pretty strong but as tall as a grasshoppers kneecap at 5'2" would have such a hard time lifting her side of the top's frame out of the mounting pocket and then walking it back over the spare tire & 3rd brake light. This was even after putting the bronco in the street and having her stand on the curb giving her an extra 4-5" of height. I can literally remove my LJ wrangler's soft top by myself and carry it into the garage.

Good news is...we're still talking and married but we both had some words of frustration towards the heavy a** top. Bad news is...the strut definitely rubbed against the rollbar when removing the top and I'll need to touch that up.
Good for you throw that ugly top away! Ford definitely under engineered it.

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Genuinely curiousā€¦ Why swap the stock soft top with the Trek top?

IMO the Trek top is not betterā€¦. Itā€™s just different.

For me the Ford soft top has lots of convenience and features associated with it, even if there are lots of people with wavy window phobia out thereā€¦

I personally see no value in switching to the Trek top.

OP
OP
2Jeeps&PatriotX1

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Genuinely curiousā€¦ Why swap the stock soft top with the Trek top?

IMO the Trek top is not betterā€¦. Itā€™s just different.

For me the Ford soft top has lots of convenience and features associated with it, even if there are lots of people with wavy window phobia out thereā€¦

I personally see no value in switching to the Trek top.
Reasons why I'm wanting to switch to Bestop:
- OEM wavy side windows drive me crazy.
- have zero use for the rear cargo lift of the OEM soft top.
- my wife won't be lowering the soft top completely to the rear, mainly just flipping the front back and/or removing the windows.
- not a fan of the OEM structural frame on the sides with 2 large dogs that stick their heads out the sides when the windows are removed. Especially when off-roading as this would create a hazard of them bashing their heads or getting wedged in the frame legs/hinges. Also makes for a cleaner look with the trektop when the windows are removed.
- slanted rear of the trektop IMO looks better.

Last but not least, this Bronco will be replaced if/when our MY23 arrives with a painted MOD top.

Sponsored
OP
OP
2Jeeps&PatriotX1

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I beg to differ on that and I could care less about it being manual. Ive owned a jeep with a manual top for 8yrs and never once thought I wish it was automatic. All the wife needs is to flip it back and sheā€™s good. Does the Bronco look silly flipped back, sure, but does it look silly with the stock top folded in its down position the way it does, yes. Does the mic top look silly and has issues, yes. So looks like none of the options are perfect.

Thraxed

Black Diamond
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you even lift? /s

SpringTXOR

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You will love the Trek Top, and it really isn't that hard to take off. Mine will be going back on after I get MIC 2.0 #2 on mine Tuesday.

Zangski

Outer Banks
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What's your plans for your soft top? I have a hard top being build 2/7 and in my initial order had included both tops. That wasn't an option with the 22MY. What would it take to take that off your hands? Denver area also.

Broncojy

Big Bend
First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Neon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Putting it back on is even worse. Got some new scratches on mine when doing so. I was pissed.

terrible engineering
Sponsored