Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was told by a Ford engineer that the tow option wasn't a commodity constraint but rather an issue between Ford and DOT on tow capacity rating. Ford wanted approval to match the Ranger's 7000 lbs tow capacity, but DOT said no. It went back and forth, but Ford eventually caved and went with the 3500 lbs rating.

Take that for what its worth, which is not much....just passing along what I was told from someone closer than most in these situations.
This would be a big deal if it is confirmed to be true! this means it will actually be able to haul something other than a bicycle rack... I didn't add the tow package but may be interested in trying to do it myself down the road now.
Sponsored

czman2000

Big Bend
First Name
craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fj cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For the alternative trailer towing, isn't the harness hard to install? I'd drop it and install myself if it was as easy as other vehicles I've had.
just did mine. it wasnt too bad. the worse part is running the power wire from the module in back to the battery upfront.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

just did mine. it wasnt too bad. the worse part is running the power wire from the module in back to the battery upfront.
Does it include the 7-pin, or is it only the 4?

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This memo was sent to Ford dealers today to help guide customers improve their chances of getting their Bronco order scheduled.

To improve a customer's chance of getting their order scheduled, we recommend they consider making the following adjustments based on our most constrained commodities:
Remove From Order And Install Later (part #'s listed below - must be ordered via parts department):
  • Paint Protection Film (nationally capacity is 2% vs. 14% order mix)
    • Alternative: Paint Protection Film (Part #VM2DZ-2120000-A)
  • Trailer Tow (national capacity is 31% vs. 62% order mix)
    • Alternative: Trailer Hitch Kit (#MB3Z-19D520-A) & Wiring Harness for Trailer Hitch Kit (#FT1Z-15A416-A)
  • MIC Hard Top (switch to soft top w/ prep kit on 4 door)
With that said (I have the trailer tow and MIC) I reserved on July 18th and received last month a letter stating I will be an early 2022 production. I'm not changing. Nor should anyone else.
My build is a WT/ LUX. Decals, Door bars.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was told by a Ford engineer that the tow option wasn't a commodity constraint but rather an issue between Ford and DOT on tow capacity rating. Ford wanted approval to match the Ranger's 7000 lbs tow capacity, but DOT said no. It went back and forth, but Ford eventually caved and went with the 3500 lbs rating.

Take that for what its worth, which is not much....just passing along what I was told from someone closer than most in these situations.
The published GCWRs for some configurations suggest >4000lb tow rating for lighter trims, but nowhere near 7000. Those GCWRs only vary by drivetrain though - not by wheelbase or suspension type which should be the limiting factors on this vehicle - so they always did smell fishy. It really did seem like Ford capped the ratings at that of the Class II reciever and walked away. Very disappointing for such a fantastically thought-out and engineered vehicle to be left with such a huge flaw.

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
This memo was sent to Ford dealers today to help guide customers improve their chances of getting their Bronco order scheduled.

To improve a customer's chance of getting their order scheduled, we recommend they consider making the following adjustments based on our most constrained commodities:
Remove From Order And Install Later (part #'s listed below - must be ordered via parts department):
  • Trailer Tow (national capacity is 31% vs. 62% order mix)
    • Alternative: Trailer Hitch Kit (#MB3Z-19D520-A) & Wiring Harness for Trailer Hitch Kit (#FT1Z-15A416-A)
I wonder how much they saved by not making trailer lights a plug-in item in the harness, and are now kicking themself about it.

PNWbroncoFam1977

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 4Runner, 97 Montero, 2016 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
With that being said, I believe they wanted it to mach the Ranger's capacity. He was adamant that it wasn't commodity but more DOT regulation. Again, take it with a grain of salt - but it made sense to me at the time he told (2 weeks ago). 2 Doors were legit constraint, along with the back log of hard tops.

He did also say the 2.7 isn't an issue because its the power for Ford's bread and butter (F150) and they are literally stacked on the floor.

Not saying he's the truth of all truths, but he said this all with confidence and not missing a beat.
The 2.7 in the F150 is not the same as the 2.7 in the Bronco. Yes the Bronco 2.7 is indeed a constraint currently for the Bronco....They show as Backordered in the dealership system for those needing a replacement for the dropped valve issue. :(

69351windsor

Base
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Merc, Ranger, HD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just ship the stinkin' 2 doors shrink-wrapped with no top - I can have one of the local boat places build a custom soft top no problem.

Sponsored

GT500

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With that being said, I believe they wanted it to mach the Ranger's capacity. He was adamant that it wasn't commodity but more DOT regulation. Again, take it with a grain of salt - but it made sense to me at the time he told (2 weeks ago). 2 Doors were legit constraint, along with the back log of hard tops.

He did also say the 2.7 isn't an issue because its the power for Ford's bread and butter (F150) and they are literally stacked on the floor.

Not saying he's the truth of all truths, but he said this all with confidence and not missing a beat.
Does the Ranger use the same transmission as the Bronco on the 2.7L?

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

1st day around 2am due to the overlaod of the reservation system we couldnt get the reservation to go through until that time.
It’s disheartening that they still haven’t got through reservations for the first few days even yet and I am August 23!

Bronco23

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This would be a big deal if it is confirmed to be true! this means it will actually be able to haul something other than a bicycle rack... I didn't add the tow package but may be interested in trying to do it myself down the road now.
I would hope this is true, and it would make sense. I mean the Maverick with a 2.0 4 Cyl has a 4000 lb rating, so I have thought this is odd. I just thought it had to do with the tire size or ride height

Teampuryear12

Badlands
First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra and Kia Sorento
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s disheartening that they still haven’t got through reservations for the first few days even yet and I am August 23!
What bothers me about the whole deal is the people that didnt have a reservation getting builds after alot of us have to sit and wait. I feel the pain for everyone waiting.

fergthulhu

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands, '21 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does the Ranger use the same transmission as the Bronco on the 2.7L?
Ranger uses the 10R80 and Bronco uses the 10R60. I can't speak to the tradeoffs between those two, but they are different units.
Sponsored