Sponsored

Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The panels look useful. Any chance you could provide the distance they protrude from the plastic interior? The measurement right at the rear/tailgate end would suffice for me.

I'm hoping they will be able to squeeze in beside my drawer. Not just for scratch protection and handy MOLLE points... These should also prevent grocery bags from shifting up against the sub & sounding like the truck is self destructing.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The panels look useful. Any chance you could provide the distance they protrude from the plastic interior? The measurement right at the rear/tailgate end would suffice for me.

I'm hoping they will be able to squeeze in beside my drawer. Not just for scratch protection and handy MOLLE points... These should also prevent grocery bags from shifting up against the sub & sounding like the truck is self destructing.
I can measure but it will likely be Friday as I am on a business trip today/tomorrow. But will be glad to when I return.

@Hockey13 Same with the seat belt bolt pics concerning taking a pic. I am not sure why you are having problems there though as I don't recall anything special about it. I think the large washer goes on first and then the panels though. Did you find a video on the install of a similar product.

One thing I am going to change is where I have my fire extinguisher mounted on the Ford tailgate table. It rattles like crazy after I took it to Uwharrie. Maybe it did before too but when I take it off the mount, the rattling disappears. I actually rode in the back of the cargo area while my wife drove to test it out with it on, with pressure up against it while on (my hands) and then out of the bracket. Only silent when out of the bracket but sound comes from table not the fire extinguisher bracket. I think its to much weight on it.

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Realizing I might have a tendency towards too many molle panels I promised myself I wasn’t going to be “That Guy.” Black Diamond for the seat backs, perhaps some door pockets, and front passenger console should do it without over doing it. What’s that?! The rear panels protect the cargo area from scratches? Shit.
Ah, I know the different though. I don't have any Molle Panels on my front passenger console so we are even ;)

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can't say for sure, but there is another product from 'Maxzina" on amazon that looks identical, and one of the reviews mentions that it can fit hard top with minor alteration.
There are two that look identical Maxzina and Crosship. As if this post the Maxzina is $300, Crosship is $280.

I purchased the Maxzina. It is an OK product at the price point, with somewhat marginal fit and a few annoying bugs. It does NOT require any modifications to fit a hard top and the floor camps have to be mounted behind the bottom molle panel. It rubs against the plastic in a couple of places but nothing that cannot be fixed by shimming it a bit. The most annoying thing is that mina arrived with an incomplete set of bolts, washers, and nuts, necessitating a trip to the local Home Depot, which these days it turns out carries almost no black oxide hardware.

@Panzer948 how did you fit the caps on top of the D-rings? There seems no way to fit mine as the bottom clamps cover the lip on which the covers clip.

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are two that look identical Maxzina and Crosship. As if this post the Maxzina is $300, Crosship is $280.

I purchased the Maxzina. It is an OK product at the price point, with somewhat marginal fit and a few annoying bugs. It does NOT require any modifications to fit a hard top and the floor camps have to be mounted behind the bottom molle panel. It rubs against the plastic in a couple of places but nothing that cannot be fixed by shimming it a bit. The most annoying thing is that mina arrived with an incomplete set of bolts, washers, and nuts, necessitating a trip to the local Home Depot, which these days it turns out carries almost no black oxide hardware.

@Panzer948 how did you fit the caps on top of the D-rings? There seems no way to fit mine as the bottom clamps cover the lip on which the covers clip.
You are correct. Mine didnt fit either and that was the biggest disappointment I had. I also didn't like the look of those bare bolts showing so came up with a solution that you may or not like. I used some of my JB Epoxy Weld (2 part epoxy) and glued them in place at one small location. Since its pliable plastic, I can still pry it off if I really need too but decided to use epoxy cause I knew other glues wouldn't hold it well from the abuse of loading/'unloading.

Probably not the answer you were wanting to hear but its good that others know of that "con".

Sponsored

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You are correct. Mine didnt fit either and that was the biggest disappointment I had. I also didn't like the look of those bare bolts showing so came up with a solution that you may or not like. I used some of my JB Epoxy Weld (2 part epoxy) and glued them in place at one small location. Since its pliable plastic, I can still pry it off if I really need too but decided to use epoxy cause I knew other glues wouldn't hold it well from the abuse of loading/'unloading.

Probably not the answer you were wanting to hear but its good that others know of that "con".
My solution is going to be simple - buy a floor mat and trim it in 4 places where the mounting clamps are. 😀

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Found a simple and reasonably aesthetic solution. By 3/4" round furniture plugs fro Lowes, trim the depth and push on the screws. They go on very tight and should not fall off easily. At minimum they will protect hands from getting caught on the sharp edges of the screws.

May want to buy them from Amazon, as the Lowes prices is rather princely ($2.70/pair).

Ford Bronco Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them GG_AGC8.4_v9_a1_20230518_194305593
Ford Bronco Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them GG_AGC8.4_v9_a1_20230518_194244875

Last edited:

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Found a simple and reasonably aesthetic solution. By 3/4" round furniture plugs fro Lowes, trim the depth and push on the screws. They go on very tight and should not fall off easily. At minimum they will protect hands from getting caught on the sharp edges of the screws.

May want to buy them from Amazon, as the Lowes prices is rather princely ($2.70/pair).
Update - the Amazon cheapies have a larger ID and do not work well.

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Another useful addition to my Mazxina panels - cutting board bumpers. I strap 2 gal water Jerry cans to the MOLLE panels and as the plastic rubs against the metal there is significant marring. Bought a set of cutting board bumpers and installed them as spacers with 10-32 screws. Works very nicely

Ford Bronco Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them 1000004161

1000004160.jpg

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks good. I’m covering mine with Aquatraction marine flooring. Using orange and charcoal brushed finish. Matches the MGV.

Sponsored

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I love it when old threads come back to life. It's really entertaining when I have a reaction to the OP, but keep reading before responding. Oh, damn! Already responded. Identical thought process year later, even after driving my Bronco for six months. Haven't done anything about it (scratches) yet, but deep down I'm still "that guy."

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And another easy hack today - ordered the Mabett floor liners and cut them slightly to accommodate the Mazxina panels. Looks good and fits well. Picture showes some of the obvious cut points. I also had to trim in the middle. Some of the cut points were necessary because of the bumpers I added (shown in previous posts).

Ford Bronco Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them 1000004252

GucciFreshness

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

And another easy hack today - ordered the Mabett floor liners and cut them slightly to accommodate the Mazxina panels. Looks good and fits well. Picture showes some of the obvious cut points. I also had to trim in the middle. Some of the cut points were necessary because of the bumpers I added (shown in previous posts).

1000004252.jpg
Can you tell me the size of the holes in the molle panel that you attached the cutting board bumpers to? I'm looking for the exact size to see what size nutsert would work. Thanks!

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can you tell me the size of the holes in the molle panel that you attached the cutting board bumpers to? I'm looking for the exact size to see what size nutsert would work. Thanks!
About 5/16" though a 5/16" screw may not fit.

mapletonpd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands 4dr Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

How's the paint holding up?
Sponsored