Sponsored

Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone who owns their Bronco for more than a day quickly realizes how easy those black plastic panels lining our cargo area (and other areas) scratch. That is one of my most disappointing features of the Bronco since there is tougher material out there that they could use. I have been looking for a solution for awhile and finally settled on lining the back with Molle Panels, including the top window area as well. I was going to use a vendor here on the forum but they only had the bottom so I searched on Amazon and came across the below. You will also see another company or two selling a product that looks to be similar. So similar that their how to video was applicable for my installation. I guess that is just the way China products operate. Anyway, yes I was hesitant getting this from China but as I said, the American made version didn't make the upper panels, so I took a gamble and ordered the below off Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6MYR6DN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Ford Bronco Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them 1663884850296

Before I did, I decided to repaint those nasty scratches with some automotive spray paint made for interior dashes, etc. This isn't as scary as it sounds as it was very easy to tape off the back area and of course removing the top helps. I also did this once in HS to change my car's full interior to black. I knew if I didn't repaint it, I would still be able to see those nasty long scratches unless I covered the entire vehicle with attachments! To paint, I just took my time and added 3 or so light coats. Was easy to cover black with black since it blends in well.

The installation of the Molle Panels went very smooth. I will suggest to only tighten the bolts fully when all the others are attached as there is some play in the alignment, which is a good thing. Also the feet of the panel that attach to the cargo net anchor points may work better mounting to the outside of the panel for the two closest to the front. I saw another reviewing say the same thing. These are easy to move around and play with before final tightening.

I like the overall look and it feels very snug and tight. For what its worth, I did confirm you can still recline your rear seats to that extra back position, which I dont think another manufacture would allow until they recently redesigned it. In addition, the instructions say the plastic covers for the cargo netting bolts will no longer fit. This is true, however I trimmed them a little with my dremel tool thinking I would get them to work. They still wouldn't snapback into place due to how the molle feet fit in those holes. Not to be outdone, I made them work by adding a little JB Weld Epoxy Glue. Strong stuff but not sure they will stay there after hauling a few things around.

Below are some before and after shots. As you can see, my Molle Panel Tailgate needs to share some duty now so I will be moving some things around soon.

Right after painting (I couldn't find any good pics showing scratches prior to this)

Ford Bronco Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them 20220922_171453
Ford Bronco Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them 20220922_171427

After Molle installation

Ford Bronco Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them 20220922_171246

Ford Bronco Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them 20220922_171155

Ford Bronco Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them 20220922_171216

Look of Window from Outside

Ford Bronco Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them 20220922_171524
Sponsored

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Perfect

Been looking for some kind of solution to protect that area from scratches.

jrstorm1007

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2007 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Anyone who owns their Bronco for more than a day quickly realizes how easy those black plastic panels lining our cargo area (and other areas) scratch. That is one of my most disappointing features of the Bronco since there is tougher material out there that they could use. I have been looking for a solution for awhile and finally settled on lining the back with Molle Panels, including the top window area as well. I was going to use a vendor here on the forum but they only had the bottom so I searched on Amazon and came across the below. You will also see another company or two selling a product that looks to be similar. So similar that their how to video was applicable for my installation. I guess that is just the way China products operate. Anyway, yes I was hesitant getting this from China but as I said, the American made version didn't make the upper panels, so I took a gamble and ordered the below off Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6MYR6DN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Ford Bronco Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them 20220922_171524

Before I did, I decided to repaint those nasty scratches with some automotive spray paint made for interior dashes, etc. This isn't as scary as it sounds as it was very easy to tape off the back area and of course removing the top helps. I also did this once in HS to change my car's full interior to black. I knew if I didn't repaint it, I would still be able to see those nasty long scratches unless I covered the entire vehicle with attachments! To paint, I just took my time and added 3 or so light coats. Was easy to cover black with black since it blends in well.

The installation of the Molle Panels went very smooth. I will suggest to only tighten the bolts fully when all the others are attached as there is some play in the alignment, which is a good thing. Also the feet of the panel that attach to the cargo net anchor points may work better mounting to the outside of the panel for the two closest to the front. I saw another reviewing say the same thing. These are easy to move around and play with before final tightening.

I like the overall look and it feels very snug and tight. For what its worth, I did confirm you can still recline your rear seats to that extra back position, which I dont think another manufacture would allow until they recently redesigned it. In addition, the instructions say the plastic covers for the cargo netting bolts will no longer fit. This is true, however I trimmed them a little with my dremel tool thinking I would get them to work. They still wouldn't snapback into place due to how the molle feet fit in those holes. Not to be outdone, I made them work by adding a little JB Weld Epoxy Glue. Strong stuff but not sure they will stay there after hauling a few things around.

Below are some before and after shots. As you can see, my Molle Panel Tailgate needs to share some duty now so I will be moving some things around soon.

Right after painting (I couldn't find any good pics showing scratches prior to this)

After Molle installation

Look of Window from Outside

What was the color spray paint you used? Black? Charcoal Black?.... THX

Sponsored

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for this and the good review. I have been looking for molle panels for the tailgate area that provide both upper and lower protection instead of just one or the other. Much cheaper in price than the sponsor vendors on this forum also.

Which paint did you use for the scratches?

Last edited:

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looks amazing. You wanna come do mine? I'll provide low to medium quality beer in return.
Forget beer, how bout a ride so that we can feel what will take forever to be......nevermind I'm over it.....not the Bronco the ride.

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for this and the good review. I have been looking for molle panels for the tailgate area that provide both upper and lower protection instead of just one or the other. Much cheaper in price than the sponsor vendors on this forum also.

Which paint did you use for the scratches?
Sure, this was the paint I bought which they sell in most automotive stores. The back says Flat Black. and indicates its even flexible. It is a few dollars more than regular spray paint but I think it was worth it now. It worked better than I thought as I originally was just going to coat it very lightly and blend back away from the scratches near the center. But it looked so good that I just did the entire back...

Ford Bronco Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them 1663944676122

83XLT

Big Bend
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 EG Big Bend 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've been eyeing those molle panels on amazon. I really only want the lowers, not the window ones. Keep us posted on any issues. I'm hoping they are sturdy enough to mount my Kicker 10" sub to them.

AK007

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting my Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've been eying those for some time, just not sure if will work with the slide out table on my order :(

Sponsored

DA JUICE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Wheels, 3 pedals, goes forward
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The listing says soft top only. Do you think the hardtop would work?

83XLT

Big Bend
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 EG Big Bend 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The listing says soft top only. Do you think the hardtop would work?
I can't say for sure, but there is another product from 'Maxzina" on amazon that looks identical, and one of the reviews mentions that it can fit hard top with minor alteration.

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't say for sure, but there is another product from 'Maxzina" on amazon that looks identical, and one of the reviews mentions that it can fit hard top with minor alteration.
Yes, that is basically the same thing I got. I even used there video for instructions since my listing doesn't have it. Like I said earlier, I don't know how China handles there business but I have seen this kind of thing on Amazon before.

BroncNC

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Wildtrak 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sure, this was the paint I bought which they sell in most automotive stores. The back says Flat Black. and indicates its even flexible. It is a few dollars more than regular spray paint but I think it was worth it now. It worked better than I thought as I originally was just going to coat it very lightly and blend back away from the scratches near the center. But it looked so good that I just did the entire back...

Ford Bronco Repainted Scratched Rear Cargo Panels Prior to Installing Rear Molle Panels Over Them 1663944676122
Hard to tell in picture, but does the flat black color match well to the cargo panels or would you recommend a charcoal gray. I know it will not be perfect either way, but hoping to get close in color. Rather use it for touch up then paint the entire back.
Sponsored