Sponsored

Replace 2 Maxtrax MKII Boards with 4 Maxtrax Mini Boards?

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have two Maxtrax MKII Recovery Boards. Because of their length, they only fit behind the 2nd row of seats if I put them at an angle, which annoys me. And I don't always want to have the seats down and I don't have a roof rack to mount them to either.

So, I was thinking of buying four Maxtrax Mini Recovery Boards and keeping them in the back instead. They'll be easier to store and organize.

What do you think? What am I really losing if I go with shorter recovery boards?
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have both and they are useful for different terrain. I don't consider the mini boards to be a particularly strong stand in, but it depends on how you use them. The shorties are good for loose material as you generally just need a bite of traction to get moving. The big ones are good for bridging, deep mud, getting off a rock stuck under your skid plates, etc.

A recommendation on how to travel with your Max 2 boards.. I do it 1 of 2 ways depending on how I pack for the trip. If I want them inside, I use long velcro straps and hang them from the rear head rests. I have seatback protectors on my rear seats so I dont worry about the rubbing but you may want to just put a towel over it. They hang nice n loose and don't rub anywhere else. You can also get access just by dropping both rear seats and folding them forward.
Ford Bronco Replace 2 Maxtrax MKII Boards with 4 Maxtrax Mini Boards? IMG_1582

The other easy option is using a few straps to hook the MaxTrax to the spare tire and keeping it out of the vehicle altogether.

OP
OP
BroncoTrail

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A recommendation on how to travel with your Max 2 boards.. I do it 1 of 2 ways depending on how I pack for the trip. If I want them inside, I use long velcro straps and hang them from the rear head rests. I have seatback protectors on my rear seats so I dont worry about the rubbing but you may want to just put a towel over it. They hang nice n loose and don't rub anywhere else. You can also get access just by dropping both rear seats and folding them forward.
Ford Bronco Replace 2 Maxtrax MKII Boards with 4 Maxtrax Mini Boards? IMG_1582

The other easy option is using a few straps to hook the MaxTrax to the spare tire and keeping it out of the vehicle altogether.
I think I am a little retarded for not thinking of this in the first place LOL. Anyway, you just solved my problem. They fit perfectly in this spot. I may also try hanging them like in your photo. I'm going to get the storage bag from Maxtrax though so that if they're full of mud, it doesn't get all over the inside my vehicle.

Ford Bronco Replace 2 Maxtrax MKII Boards with 4 Maxtrax Mini Boards? PXL_20230324_230944927

Thanks!

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I am a little retarded for not thinking of this in the first place LOL. Anyway, you just solved my problem. They fit perfectly in this spot. I may also try hanging them like in your photo. I'm going to get the storage bag from Maxtrax though so that if they're full of mud, it doesn't get all over the inside my vehicle.

Ford Bronco Replace 2 Maxtrax MKII Boards with 4 Maxtrax Mini Boards? IMG_0176.HEIC

Thanks!
Get some seat back protectors as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Mabett-Backr...mzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

They're pretty affordable and they work GREAT for what they do.. Carpet on the back of the seats was a terrible idea from Ford. Just held on by velcro.

Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have two Maxtrax MKII Recovery Boards. Because of their length, they only fit behind the 2nd row of seats if I put them at an angle, which annoys me. And I don't always want to have the seats down and I don't have a roof rack to mount them to either.

So, I was thinking of buying four Maxtrax Mini Recovery Boards and keeping them in the back instead. They'll be easier to store and organize.

What do you think? What am I really losing if I go with shorter recovery boards?
If you are looking for some MaxTrax let me know. We stock the product.

What I used on our demo truck was the GoTreads. They fold up and tucked behind the rear seat but expand to the full length of a regular traction board. Sold as pairs:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/other-truck-accessories/recovery-gear-jacks/

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The problem of storing them inside is once you used them in mud you won’t want to put them back inside, I know this from experience. And you really don’t want to have to fish them out when you need them fast in an emergency.

If you don’t have a rack, I suggest mounting them to the spare tire.

This one is Overland Kitted, but I suggest Rock Slide Enginnering’s as it’s much cheaper and just as effective.

IMG_0918-XL.jpg

OP
OP
BroncoTrail

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The problem of storing them inside is once you used them in mud you won’t want to put them back inside, I know this from experience. And you really don’t want to have to fish them out when you need them fast in an emergency.

This one is Overland Kitted, but I suggest Rock Slide Enginnering’s as it’s much cheaper and just as effective.

Ford Bronco Replace 2 Maxtrax MKII Boards with 4 Maxtrax Mini Boards? IMG_0918-XL
Interesting! Do you have any concerns with the extra weight that the gas can and the recovery boards are putting on the tailgate?

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am because I’m carrying 4 Maxtrax Extremes and they are heavier than the standard ones and 3 gallons of gas. I ordered a tailgate stiffner and raptor hinges, I only have 33s so I’m not really over the weight limit, but why not do as much I can to stop a problem.

I have since changed out to TraiRax PaxRax and carry my recovery boards on that and will only carry gas or water on the spare when I think I’ll need more than the PaxRax can carry..

If you have a four door take a look at their half rack, I think you’d get more out of your money as you can use it for carrying other stuff and down the road you can add their PaxRax to that to carry more.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

IMG_0918-XL.jpg
I have the Rock Slide Engineering one and it's pretty sweet. How were you mounting your traction boards to yours? I was thinking about making a big long bracket, but might not spend the time if there's a cheap solution out there that already exists.

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the Rock Slide Engineering one and it's pretty sweet. How were you mounting your traction boards to yours? I was thinking about making a big long bracket, but might not spend the time if there's a cheap solution out there that already exists.
I went with a “universal” traction board plate, this way I can also mount them easily to my roof rack on my other vehicle. But you will need to see if the holes in the board will line up with the spare tire mounting plates. Unfortunately they aren’t cheap at around $200-$300 dollars and you’ll also have to fork over money for mounting pins for your specific boards.
Sponsored