Sponsored

Replacing 4” speakers on the dash and rear pods.

Bronco-tx

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ran into some issues while replacing my 4” dash and rear pods and I thought I would share some of my experience with y’all. In all it’s really worth it to replace them because the sound system is really sounding great now! But my issues come from the rear pods.
First issue is you need to buy after market speakers that are flush mount because any rise from a tweeter or speaker and the pod covers will not go back on. See video here.

Second issue is Ford has some type of regulator that removes almost all bass from the rear pods. See dash bass vs rear pods here.

I also did a factory speaker test vs after market.

I also did a stock dash vs kicker speaker test.

I hope this helps if anyone’s interested in doing the same!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If there is no bass going to the rear speakers, is it worth it to replace the rear pods? also, which kickers do you recommend?

PatientlyWaiting

Wildtrak
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If there is no bass going to the rear speakers, is it worth it to replace the rear pods? also, which kickers do you recommend?
There is a Pickens Party of Five video out there that I literally just watched 30 minutes ago. They had a subwoofer that they hooked up off the rear speaker lines. They realized there was no base so they ran the lines off the kicker speakers up front and said it was a huge difference.

djn3400

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch, Chevy Suburban, Kia K5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There is a Pickens Party of Five video out there that I literally just watched 30 minutes ago. They had a subwoofer that they hooked up off the rear speaker lines. They realized there was no base so they ran the lines off the kicker speakers up front and said it was a huge difference.
Is there a way to have bass sent back to the rear pods, ie. via Forscan?

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I ran into some issues while replacing my 4” dash and rear pods and I thought I would share some of my experience with y’all. In all it’s really worth it to replace them because the sound system is really sounding great now! But my issues come from the rear pods.
First issue is you need to buy after market speakers that are flush mount because any rise from a Twitter or speaker and the pod covers will not go back on. See video here.

Second issue is Ford has some type of regulator that removes almost all bass from the rear pods. See dash bass vs rear pods here.

I also did a factory speaker test vs after market.

I also did a stock dash vs kicker speaker test.

I hope this helps if anyone’s interested in doing the same!
This is very helpful! Thanks!

With that, what else did you need to purchase other than the 4 inch speakers in order for them to fit and/or connect, properly?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bronco-tx

Bronco-tx

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is very helpful! Thanks!

With that, what else did you need to purchase other than the 4 inch speakers in order for them to fit and/or connect, properly?
Both sets of speakers came with speaker wires so I didn’t “have to buy” anything else for now but I will buy speaker wire adapters when they come out.
I also bought poly fill to stuff each speaker cavity for better sound quality.

jh3113

Black Diamond
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

JL Audio C1-400x fit in both front and rear pods perfect. They have removable ears that need to be taken off for the rears to fit. This combined with the Metra 72-5600 harness makes wiring easy. The harness isn't a perfect mate, but it "works". You'll see what i mean if you use that adapter.

Also looking for way to enable the bass in the rear!

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Both sets of speakers came with speaker wires so I didn’t “have to buy” anything else for now but I will buy speaker wire adapters when they come out.
I also bought poly fill to stuff each speaker cavity for better sound quality.
I think the question is whether you need to buy passive crossovers (bass blockers) for the 4" speakers. My guess is that you don't. That suggests that the factory head unit is cutting out the bass to the 4" speakers.

BFizzy

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think the question is whether you need to buy passive crossovers (bass blockers) for the 4" speakers. My guess is that you don't. That suggests that the factory head unit is cutting out the bass to the 4" speakers.
It’s only preventing bass to the rear pods. Front 4”s have a built-in capacitor to limit bass. Kick panel 6.5”s have full spectrum.

Sponsored

EquusBronsis

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Porsche Macan GTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The word of the day is “tweeter”.
1.a small loudspeaker responsive only to the higher acoustic frequencies and reproducing sounds of high pitch
2. someone who posts tweets on the Twitter online messaging service

OP
OP
Bronco-tx

Bronco-tx

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The word of the day is “tweeter”.
1.a small loudspeaker responsive only to the higher acoustic frequencies and reproducing sounds of high pitch
2. someone who posts tweets on the Twitter online messaging service
Lol.. yep thanks!🤦‍♂️

Perfect-Beast-2

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100 / 1980 F150 Stepside / 2019 F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I bought the aftermarket JBL. Sound bar and had the dealer install. The downside is it blocks most of my view out the back. I’m wondering if I replace the speakers as recommended here, will it make things even better in back or not too noticeable.