First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the 12" screen ends up not being a standalone option, which is very likely, do you think would you be able to buy an OEM 12" Bronco display on eBay and swap it out?

This border around the 8" as shown below looks to be removable, and it looks like it fills up space for what would be a 12", although the border around the screen is uneven at the bottom, however that might not even be a problem.

If this is in fact possible, I would be ecstatic!
Ford Bronco Replacing 8" with 12" Screen? 8inchDisplay
Sponsored

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's hard to tell how involved it would be at this point. It could be as easy as unclipping and pulling the dashboard trim pieces, unbolting the screen assembly and swapping for the bigger one with all the same plugs and connectors.

Or it could be tied to some onboard computer which would also need to be upgraded, and might require completely disassembling the dashboard.

To me it looks fairly modular - not like some other Ford vehicles where the upgraded screen is packaged with other features like dual zone climate and part of a whole different dashboard assembly. Instead it's pretty standalone, which makes me think Ford made it modular, not to make life easier for people wanting to upgrade it themselves, but rather to improve manufacturing efficiency.

I do wonder how this would work without having the trail camera installed and wired. That could be a whole other can of worms if it's required for the onboard software to not crash.

smseagren

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah...that’s not going to be that simple or cheap. Typically, yes you can get the parts yourself but there is always more involved.

you’ll likely need:
Trim bezel
Mounting pieces in dash
Wiring harnes/s
And obviously the display/head unit.

this will be ridiculously expensive. Far more than just purchasing the high package. Not really sure if you are buying a model where it’s not even an option. It’ll just be stupid expensive.
Good luck

OP
OP
GravityDancer

GravityDancer

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah...that’s not going to be that simple or cheap. Typically, yes you can get the parts yourself but there is always more involved.

you’ll likely need:
Trim bezel
Mounting pieces in dash
Wiring harnes/s
And obviously the display/head unit.

this will be ridiculously expensive. Far more than just purchasing the high package. Not really sure if you are buying a model where it’s not even an option. It’ll just be stupid expensive.
Good luck
Well, yes, I know when I posted this I didn't give much info and just said "Swap it!", but I am getting Black Diamond, and I definitely am not switching to a higher trim. Unless it is maybe a standalone option, Black Diamond will not have a 12" screen, nor will the high package be available. And as far as the price goes to replace it, I've seen similar things done before just by my local car video/stereo place, Ken's, and their pricing wasn't too bad. Obviously a 2021 Bronco with Sync 4 may be a different story, but I'd be willing to see how that would go. Either way, it would have to be quite a ridiculous number, if it were possible, to NOT be worth it, considering the Black Diamond may not be available to have it factory, anyways.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I doubt Ford will offer it as a stand-alone or after market but i guess it’s possible. If you have to do it 3rd party, you would lose all compatibility. I’m probably just going to go OB with the 12” screen. Because I’ve bought cars thinking, “I’ll be just fine with the smaller screen, engine” etc etc etc and eventually i’m not as you always think about why you didn’t just pay the 1K-3K to get what you truly wanted.

At the end of the day you only live once and you don’t buy that many new vehicles so what’s 10-20 a month if you never have a regret?

Sponsored

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You think you could buy and install the 12" screen under the cost of just upgrading to the High package from the factory which comes with it? The upgrade from Mid to High is $1,200...
If you are even thinking of going with the 12", I'd just get it from the factory, installed, done.
As a bonus, you get the 360 degree cameras with high package too! Well worth it, IMHO.

Washoe

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche, MB.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well, yes, I know when I posted this I didn't give much info and just said "Swap it!", but I am getting Black Diamond, and I definitely am not switching to a higher trim. Unless it is maybe a standalone option, Black Diamond will not have a 12" screen, nor will the high package be available. And as far as the price goes to replace it, I've seen similar things done before just by my local car video/stereo place, Ken's, and their pricing wasn't too bad. Obviously a 2021 Bronco with Sync 4 may be a different story, but I'd be willing to see how that would go. Either way, it would have to be quite a ridiculous number, if it were possible, to NOT be worth it, considering the Black Diamond may not be available to have it factory, anyways.
Interesting question: I am sure that it can be done. The question will be costs, functionality, and compatibility. Tough decision for you, but maybe, stepping up a model might make more sense in the long run?

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You think you could buy and install the 12" screen under the cost of just upgrading to the High package from the factory which comes with it? The upgrade from Mid to High is $1,200...
If you are even thinking of going with the 12", I'd just get it from the factory, installed, done.
As a bonus, you get the 360 degree cameras with high package too! Well worth it, IMHO.
Not all trims have the High package as an option

Buckin_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
T.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the 12" screen ends up not being a standalone option, which is very likely, do you think would you be able to buy an OEM 12" Bronco display on eBay and swap it out?

This border around the 8" as shown below looks to be removable, and it looks like it fills up space for what would be a 12", although the border around the screen is uneven at the bottom, however that might not even be a problem.

Typically when there is an upgraded radio there are either different plugs in the back or there are other plugs to control other add-on features. There is no way of knowing until you take out both of the radios.

Sponsored

Buckin_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
T.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Also, upgrading the radios on new Ford vehicles has become very expensive in the aftermarket sector. To be honest if the new UI is good then I would recommend going for the upgrade from the factory if it is around 1200.

To upgrade a new F-150 with a basic touch screen radio will put you back about $700. If you want android auto or apple carplay add another $100. If you want them to be wireless then add 200-300 on top of that.

I am curious if the new screens will be HD or full HD. I am hoping for full HD on the 12"

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

One thing to consider is that Ford isn't going to design just a harness (well at least a completely new primary harness) just for the 12in vs 8 in display. It would make building the Bronco more complex and not mention more parts and just make it more expensive overall.

Just using the old D3 platform aka Taurus/Explorer-they came with MFT in 2013 or so then Sync 3 came out a few years later. People are selling the parts (which just a new APM and Screen) and it hooks into the same harness/hard points that is on the older cars.

I don't think getting the 12 inch display into the 8inch one is going to be very hard to do. You won't have the same things that are offered on the Lux package, but I'm sure it will still be usable.

I hope I can get the 12 inch display and a heated seating wheel down the road-might need a Forscan to make it work, but doesn't seem too hard.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just using the old D3 platform aka Taurus/Explorer-they came with MFT in 2013 or so then Sync 3 came out a few years later. People are selling the parts (which just a new APM and Screen) and it hooks into the same harness/hard points that is on the older cars.
Recently upgraded my wifes Sync2 to sync3. While it is an easy swap and took less than 30 minutes it wasn't cheap. About $800 for old tech and shipped directly from China so it is not exactly a Ford backed item. I wouldn't expect a Sync4 8" to 12" swap to be out for a while and then, like others pointed out, it will probably be cheaper to buy the high package (if it's available on your desired model).

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

it will probably be cheaper to buy the high package (if it's available on your desired model).
The Big Bend doesn't have that option and once you move up another trim and add the high package to say an Outer Banks, its at least 2-4K more.

I struggled with that issue LOL before coming to terms with the smaller screen to save some $$$. I can afford a bigger screen down the road, I don't want a $600 car payment.

Fabs

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The Big Bend doesn't have that option and once you move up another trim and add the high package to say an Outer Banks, its at least 2-4K more.

I struggled with that issue LOL before coming to terms with the smaller screen to save some $$$. I can afford a bigger screen down the road, I don't want a $600 car payment.
Glad I’m not the only one with this same “problem” I really want the 12” screen and I have the big bend all priced out but only shows the 8” screen is available
Sponsored