Sponsored

Replacing stock Badlands wheels and tires (going up to 35") - what do I need to buy/consider?

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey everyone - so now that my Bronco is *finally* scheduled I need to get serious about figuring this stuff out. First order of business (my dealer is going to have this stuff ready to go when my Bronco arrives) is new wheels and tires.

I'm fairly set on the Black Rhino Warhogs and either 35" KO2s or Mickey Thompson Baja A/Ts.

Here's what I know: I'm going to need a leveling kit (dealer will install and warranty). I'm going to need to do something about the crash bars and will need to have the rear brake light over the spare raised.

That's about the limit though but here's what I'm not sure if I need: The offset on the Warthog is 0 so not sure if I'll need something to have it properly mount for the 5th wheel/spare. I don't know if I'm going to need some kind of tailgate reinforcement (these tires are *heavy* compared to even the stock Goodyears on the SAS - I think at least the Mickey Thompsons are @80lbs).

I'm not sure if the dealer can recalibrate the speedometer or if there's an easy way to do it otherwise.

I'm not sure what else I should be thinking about/asking. This is my first real offroad vehicle and the first I've ever had that I'm going to modify (more stuff coming later but roof racks/lights don't seem nearly as complex to me).

So any advice/info/help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went up to a 35" w/o any tail gate reinforcement w/o issue. I did not raise the brake light...the tire fits but rubs the brake light just slightly. With the zero offset you'll probably have to replace the rubber bumpers (located on the tailgate under the tire holder).

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Going with a sasquatch offset or 0 offset rim will probably be all you need with 35's on a badland. There are several people running 35's on badlands with no ill effects.

One reason I did not want to upgrade to the optional badlands rims is they are only 8in wide and the offset is not sasquatch IIRC. Icon and others have stated if you plan on 37's they suggest a 0 offset rim. I am buying a set of 8.5in wide rims (wider) and at 0 offset so I have the option of 37's and not too aggressive on offset to run 35's.

I am also in the camp that going further than 0 is not something I want to do from an offset perspective. The stock options even sasquatch at the end of the day seemed to end with me wanting a different rimsize so why spend the money up front with either the factory upgrade or sasquatch rims.

35's should be ok without a reinforcement...but never a bad thing to add if you are worried.

I also think 33's are about the perfect size for an all around living daily with. One of the reasons I wanted a non-squatch badlands. I am just an idiot and want to try the next size up even though I said 33's are what I am content with.

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Going with a sasquatch offset or 0 offset rim will probably be all you need with 35's on a badland. There are several people running 35's on badlands with no ill effects.

One reason I did not want to upgrade to the optional badlands rims is they are only 8in wide and the offset is not sasquatch IIRC. Icon and others have stated if you plan on 37's they suggest a 0 offset rim. I am buying a set of 8.5in wide rims (wider) and at 0 offset so I have the option of 37's and not too aggressive on offset to run 35's.

I am also in the camp that going further than 0 is not something I want to do from an offset perspective. The stock options even sasquatch at the end of the day seemed to end with me wanting a different rimsize so why spend the money up front with either the factory upgrade or sasquatch rims.

35's should be ok without a reinforcement...but never a bad thing to add if you are worried.

I also think 33's are about the perfect size for an all around living daily with. One of the reasons I wanted a non-squatch badlands. I am just an idiot and want to try the next size up even though I said 33's are what I am content with.
I've gone back and forth between keeping the 33"s and upgrading to 35s - but at the end of the day I live in Colorado and plan on wheeling in the mountains so I'm thinking the 35s are probably better. Plus...I just like the look of the bigger tires. I know kinda shallow but I don't drive a ton (I put on about 7000 miles/year) so not as worried about gas mileage. I'm guessing with the Bronco can safely add on 3-4k miles/year but those are all going to be spent driving to/in/from the mountains.

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went up to a 35" w/o any tail gate reinforcement w/o issue. I did not raise the brake light...the tire fits but rubs the brake light just slightly. With the zero offset you'll probably have to replace the rubber bumpers (located on the tailgate under the tire holder).
Thanks that's really good know. I honestly don't know what to do about the tailgate - I'd rather not spend extra $ I don't need to...but I also don't want to mess up the tailgate.

That's really good to know about the light. If I don't have to raise it (I don't care if it rubs the brake light as long as it fits) I'll just leave it alone.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks that's really good know. I honestly don't know what to do about the tailgate - I'd rather not spend extra $ I don't need to...but I also don't want to mess up the tailgate.

That's really good to know about the light. If I don't have to raise it (I don't care if it rubs the brake light as long as it fits) I'll just leave it alone.
Unless you plan to add more accessories to the tailgate you should be fine hanging the 35" tire/wheel w/o issue... many have.

Blucifer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac SRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Idk about tires and wheel stuff, but if you'd like more break light visibility then look at XKglow's halo light for the Bronco. It's also a reverse light. Best bang-for-the-buck that I added to my Bronco so far. (Just above Suma mirrors)

J.O.

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m thinking of going with 35’s on my Badlands also, but without a lift. Has anyone done this with a 25mm offset or even with the stock Badlands wheels?
Anything other than removing crash bars necessary?

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here's what I know: I'm going to need a leveling kit (dealer will install and warranty). I'm going to need to do something about the crash bars and will need to have the rear brake light over the spare raised.

That's about the limit though but here's what I'm not sure if I need: The offset on the Warthog is 0 so not sure if I'll need something to have it properly mount for the 5th wheel/spare. I don't know if I'm going to need some kind of tailgate reinforcement (these tires are *heavy* compared to even the stock Goodyears on the SAS - I think at least the Mickey Thompsons are @80lbs).
Since Ford has a tailgate table as an option, I doubt a different 35" tire should exceed the expected load on the hinges.

Sponsored

TonkaTruck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last edited:
OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You shouldn’t need a leveling kit to mount 35’s on the Badlands. Assuming you have the correct offset, you will just need to remove the crash bars. You may want to look at wider fender flares too if you don’t want a ton of poke.

This thread was very helpful for me:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/35s-on-non-sasquatch-badlands.28219/
Thanks for the link! Going with a 0 offset wheel and the 35" KO2s. So I'm *guessing* I won't need a leveling kit?

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the link! Going with a 0 offset wheel and the 35" KO2s. So I'm *guessing* I won't need a leveling kit?
Did you end up doing this? This is the route I’m thinking of going. Any rubbing at full compression?

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
You may want to consider a wheel in the +35mm offset range. Several forum members have aftermarket wheels in that range with 35" or so tires, and it seems a good fit in terms of the standard flares like you have on your Badlands. Unless you want the further outward poke of the 0 offset, or plan on installing wider Sas flares.

Keep in mind Ford fits their 35" tires using +30 offset, they did not need 0 offset. Although Ford's "35" tires are reportedly a bit smaller than some other similar rated 315/70R17 tires. Maybe with a true 35" tires on the wider side, you may lean more towards the 0 offset depending on usage.

At full compression while off-roading with 35" tires and no lift on the Badlands, I wonder if you might get some rubbing from tops of tires hitting the fender/flare? I say that because I recall reading the Sas has a slightly more limited compression travel, to account for the 35" tires?

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you end up doing this? This is the route I’m thinking of going. Any rubbing at full compression?
So no solid info yet (Bronco is built but not going to be at the dealership for 3-4 weeks).

I changed my wheels a bit - going with Icons that are +6.

however after talking to some friends who are pretty hardcore off-roaders I decided on a 2” level kit.

I don’t mind a little poke and will likely get SAS flares at some point
Sponsored