First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Stage 2
Your Bronco Model
Base
It'll also have disconnecting sway bars.
Sponsored

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry, not plural. The sway bar can be disconnected for better off road travel.
I know what one is. The question I'm asking is what is it connected to (IFS or solid front axle).

The current off road trucks offering one use solid axles. Wrangler and Power Wagon. Raptors, ZR2 etc do not and they have IFS.

The only example we've recently seen that would seem to diverge from this pattern was potentially the Frankenranger mule.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know what one is. The question I'm asking is what is it connected to (IFS or solid front axle).

The current off road trucks offering one use solid axles. Wrangler and Power Wagon. Raptors, ZR2 etc do not and they have IFS.

The only example we've recently seen that would seem to diverge from this pattern was potentially the Frankenranger mule.
You are correct that the IFS rigs don't typically offer them, but as NM Bronco pointed out, they certainly can. I think they don't because they weren't intended to have great articulation since they weren't supposed to be rock crawlers in any way that a wrangler might be (maybe the ZR2 could have tried? but definitely not the target of raptor). If you have a longish travel rig like Raptor a sway bar disconnect could go a long way, literally!

Naturally IFS rigs have higher roll stiffness to jounce stiffness so a sway bar disconnect could really help squeeze out that last bit of articulation

Last edited:

jimbo92

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not entirely true. Toyota offers a sway bar disco in the 4runners and Lexus GX460/Land Cruiser Prado. Fj Cruisers had it as well. Its called KDSS. It hydraulically disconnects the front and rear sways when articulating. When 4Wheel and Offroad tested the GX it scored about a 100 points higher on the RTI than a non KDSS equipped model. My GX460 has it and its a great system.

jimbo92

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Id say its like 8/10s. It allows for about all you're going to get out of a standard IFS front end. It also allows the use of thicker sway bars so the thing handles great for what it is. Wouldn't be effective enough in a solid front axle but its great in ifs.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285326&page=82

Owner of the dealership I work for was at Ford in Detroit a few weeks ago and saw the new Bronco so there is some hope. It was for a owners meeting and they took away all cell phones before the meeting started. He told me there will be a four door, two door, soft and hard tops, a 33" tire option and a front sway bar disconnect option, he didn't know about the front axe type though.
Second post down, reconfirms a lot again. The hard and soft top is new info though, pretty interesting. Seems like Ford hasn’t even told the dealers what the front suspension is.

Now this is just me. But if you can disconnect the sway bar and they are touting that as a feature... I just don’t see how they can do an IFS. Sway bar disconnect on an IFS rig from what I understand has a lot less of a benefit vs. a solid axle right? So if they are going through with touting that as a feature it’s gotta be solid axle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1sicbronconut said:
Owner of the dealership I work for was at Ford in Detroit a few weeks ago and saw the new Bronco so there is some hope. It was for a owners meeting and they took away all cell phones before the meeting started. He told me there will be a four door, two door, soft and hard tops, a 33" tire option and a front sway bar disconnect option, he didn't know about the front axe type though.
Being an "option" is interesting. I would suspect Ford isn't going completely a la carte so this disconnecting swaybar probably comes as a package with some other hardware and software features.

It opens up questions about FX4 / Tremor / Raptor packages. The trim conventions Ford uses usually don't really divide up in a way that parallels Jeep's Rubicon.

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is true that disconnecting the sway bar on most IFS vehicles has less benefit than most solid axle rigs, but it is still worth doing. This is mostly due to the fact that most solid axles have a lot more articulation than most IFS setups.

Friend of mine snapped both sway bars on his rzr and loved the slow speed performance increase. I disconnected the rear on my RZR-S, and although it did better in the rocks, I hooked it back up to maintain high speed performance.

Something of note... The 66-79 Broncos actually have horrible front end articulation in stock form. The radius arm design is basically a giant sway bar. Fortunately there are bunch of solutions to this: wristed axle housings, wristed radius arms, longer arms with heim joints instead of bushings...

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Being an "option" is interesting. I would suspect Ford isn't going completely a la carte so this disconnecting swaybar probably comes as a package with some other hardware and software features.

It opens up questions about FX4 / Tremor / Raptor packages. The trim conventions Ford uses usually don't really divide up in a way that parallels Jeep's Rubicon.
yup. And as we’ve discussed more modularity is great. Because I would do the base trim, add the tremor package for a lift, fox shocks, and 33’s. 2.7 ecoboost, and FX4 for locking diffs and sway bare disconnect. This is if the packages break down like that.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another person following up on that:
JohnJohn said:
Our Richmond VA BOAR group was asked to attend a Fall Festival at a local Ford dealership on Saturday. A VP with the dealership who also had an early bronco on display with ours said a sales manager and one other person at the dealer saw the new bronco at a dealer event at Ford several weeks ago.
He said they were asked to leave all cell phones and electronics at the door then they were told not to move out of their seats and the bronco under a cover was revealed for 30 seconds. He said they could not see the front axle but it had a removable top and doors.
He then showed us this picture on his phone and said this is what he was told is the closest rendering.

I also checked out the Ranger pickup while I was there and test drove one to get a feel for the Bronco. It is ok but I am worried a loaded Bronco is going to cost $45k or more.

He also said it should be revealed to the public around March 2020. He said Ford is going to unveil the Mach 3 all electric Mustang first in November.
March seems a bit early for the BroncoBronco, but pretty reasonable for the "yet to be named rugged off road small utility" ... they would undoubtably say something about the model its thematically following. The NOV mark sounds more reasonable for the Mach-E too ... TFL sources must not be good listeners?

The image he's referring to is the Road&Track render.
RnT Bronco render.jpg

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Which is by far my favorite render, gives me a lot of hope.
Sponsored