Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2-door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wouldn't be surprised if they only made a hybrid version of the Sport/Baby Bronco. Doesn't seem like they'd have a lot of room to work with for batteries in the Bronco, although miracles can be made with enough 18650/21700 cells.

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not really perceived, both engines have alternators in very bad spots low on the engine, leading to a high likelihood of killing the alternator in an inopportune spot.

The 2.3L has known coking issues, and looking around the Ranger forum has beyond a reasonable number of engine failures.

The 2.7L is better to some I suppose, my experience with it soured after being left stranded away from home with a turbo failure, and dealing with multiple oil pan failures throughout the time I had it.

Adding in issues with non linear torque curve in a vehicle designed for an environment where linear torque is highly coveted and the added parts associated with turbos that provide no benefit over a properly sized engine and there is a lot of questions in the air.
I thought the 2.3 on the ranger is a durable engine?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Wonder if this will be both 2 and 4 door or 4 door only...

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Sponsored

NW-Bronco

First Edition
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ford's old-school approach to product management is tired and lame. The mentality which drives releasing undesirable features first in order to drive more sales over a longer period of time is exactly why legacy auto is failing at software development and the transformation to Mobility. Ford is the precious Prom Queen who teases but doesn't put out.

These new models are the last of the ICE cars...the money that runs the auto industry is drying up unless of course a company uses it to produce future tech. The same money is tired of legacy auto and them not putting out. Don't want to believe it, just read this ---> No more money for legacy development

Starting with a hybrid (versus full EV) is just the same product management strategy as above, only this time Ford is attempting to manage the banks who are lending the money. The banks however are the bad boys who call the prom queen's bluff and get her to put out.

If a hybrid is only another year away I will wait for that and skip the FE. In two years the performance and the battery tech of EVs will improve so much Ford will have no choice but to put out and produce an EV Bronco else face being out of money and left behind.

Imagining a Bronco that does 0-60 in 3 seconds - now that will be something.

Wildtrak.Scott

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6 turbo
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Seems a bit tone deaf; doesn’t fix the issues the truck already has with the current engines, and doesn’t provide us the V8 that should have been available on launch.

But they’ll get their environmental justice points so there’s that...
Its not released and you know all the problems already? Wow, that is crazy. Lol

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford's old-school approach to product management is tired and lame. The mentality which drives releasing undesirable features first in order to drive more sales over a longer period of time is exactly why legacy auto is failing at software development and the transformation to Mobility. Ford is the precious Prom Queen who teases but doesn't put out.

These new models are the last of the ICE cars...the money that runs the auto industry is drying up unless of course a company uses it to produce future tech. The same money is tired of legacy auto and them not putting out. Don't want to believe it, just read this ---> No more money for legacy development

Starting with a hybrid (versus full EV) is just the same product management strategy as above, only this time Ford is attempting to manage the banks who are lending the money. The banks however are the bad boys who call the prom queen's bluff and get her to put out.

If a hybrid is only another year away I will wait for that and skip the FE. In two years the performance and the battery tech of EVs will improve so much Ford will have no choice but to put out and produce an EV Bronco else face being out of money and left behind.

Imagining a Bronco that does 0-60 in 3 seconds - now that will be something.
So why are you spending you money to buy a Bronco and supporting this dying industry?

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
2.3 is a good motor and the turbos have been solid. The old turbo stigma doesn't apply anymore. Coking is common on most early direct injection motors, but Ford has allegedly worked on the ventilation to help. If I go 2.3, I will just use some intake cleaner for DI engines every other oil change.

Last edited:

Sponsored

desert_rat

Big Bend
First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

2022 is so much sooner than i thought!! wtf now i really feel like i Have to wait for it
but then watch it get delayed, and delayed, and delayed... ☹

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Was excited until I saw it was a TFL article. They probably got the news from the rumors on here lol.

PHEV Bronco is likely coming. But I would guess not until the 2023 or 2024 model years. May get fast tracked due to the hybrid Wrangler that will come out soon.

If it was 2022 I MIGHT wait. Paging @Carmaker1 or @TeocaliMG for more reliable sources

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The 2.3L has known coking issues, and looking around the Ranger forum has beyond a reasonable number of engine failures.
Idk, I feel like the way you put it makes it sound like it's a bigger issue than it really is. Personally, I'm more comfortable going with an engine who's minor issues are known and manageable, and somewhat preventable, rather than an engine that's not tried and tested yet.

tigereye

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cincinnati (2020) -> Hilton Head, SC (2021)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Pilot, 2017 CRV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is actually really encouraging for me. I was probably a 22 MY anyway because of waiting for my wife's CRV to get paid off. Wonder when the 22s will actually be out, though if the initial reservations are going to run into 22 CY.
Sponsored