Report: New Ford Bronco will have solid axles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B2C

Big Bend
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Explorer
Question: does Ford currently use a solid front axle on any of its SUV's and trucks that can be used for the next Bronco?

Advertisement

Bronco_CA

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TIE Fighter
Why would it be cheaper? (serious question). I would assume they could use the same IFS, share development/engineering costs and save from economies of scale with using the same basic suspension setup between Ranger and Bronco, no?
This...

I think he probably means that solid axles are less complex and cheaper to produce and implement than independent suspension?
Bingo. IFS is a more complex suspension design and thus more costly to engineer and manufacture.

HoosierDaddy

Base
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 2021 ON THE WAY!!!
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I am all for some solid axle love on a new Bronco, but I don't see how anyone gets solid axle from the news Dana will provide some drive line stuff for the new Ranger/Bronco.
LOL, probably from the fourth sentence. I'll c&p it for you :
It means the midsize and body-on-frame Bronco in 2020 -- like the current and next-generation Jeep Wrangler -- will have Dana solid axles front and rear.
It means the midsize and body-on-frame Bronco in 2020 -- like the current and next-generation Jeep Wrangler -- will have Dana solid axles front and rear.
It means the midsize and body-on-frame Bronco in 2020 -- like the current and next-generation Jeep Wrangler -- will have .........
Dana solid axles front and rear. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeepislife

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 1997 Wrangler TJ
This is great news I can only hope it'll be solid axle in the front and not independent.

Broncowski

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
LOL, probably from the fourth sentence. I'll c&p it for you :
It means the midsize and body-on-frame Bronco in 2020 -- like the current and next-generation Jeep Wrangler -- will have .........
Dana solid axles front and rear. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think the issue is that that is automotive news's own conclusion based on Dana stating that the next Bronco/Ranger will have "front and rear axles featuring our latest AdvanTEK gear technology."

As someone else said above, Dana's Spicer axles featuring the AdvanTek gearing are for both solid and independent axles. I think Auto news just decided that was enough to call it solid axles all around.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
I am all for some solid axle love on a new Bronco, but I don't see how anyone gets solid axle from the news Dana will provide some drive line stuff for the new Ranger/Bronco.

The referenced Presentation has a page titled "Returning Home" with a couple of graphics depicting Ranger in 2019 and Bronco in 2020.
Dana_Ranger_Bronco (Small).JPG

And it appears that "Spicer Axles Featuring AdvanTEK Gearing" can mean Solid Axles as well as Independent.

Dana_Ranger_Bronco(2) (Small).JPG

Pretty sure the Ranger will be independent, therefore the new Bronco will be too.
I think the issue is that that is automotive news's own conclusion based on Dana stating that the next Bronco/Ranger will have "front and rear axles featuring our latest AdvanTEK gear technology."

As someone else said above, Dana's Spicer axles featuring the AdvanTek gearing are for both solid and independent axles. I think Auto news just decided that was enough to call it solid axles all around.
I agree that it's just a guess/wishful thinking that the Bronco will have solid axles, based solely on the statements from Ford/Dana. Considering the bigger picture, and the whole of what Ford has said about their intentions for the Ford SUV lineup, I am left feeling hopeful about the possibility of solid axles for the Bronco.

Ford Press Release March 15 said:
SUVs: By 2020, Ford estimates SUV sales could account for 50 percent of U.S. industry retail sales – one reason Ford is reallocating $7 billion in capital from cars to SUVs. By 2020, Ford plans an industry-leading lineup of eight SUVs – five of which will offer hybrid powertrains and one battery electric. Ford SUV sales are estimated to grow 20 percent – more than double the industry rate – to more than 950,000 by 2020, according to LMC Automotive, and surpass 1 million by 2021.

After recently introducing an all-new model at each end of the SUV spectrum – the subcompact EcoSport and full-size Expedition – Ford’s next push is in the highest volume SUV segments. Entirely new versions of the Escape and Explorer debut next year; combined, these two models make up 70 percent of Ford’s SUV volume.

Ford also plans to drive growth with two all-new off-road models: the new Bronco and a yet-to-be-named off-road small utility – both designed to win a growing number of people who love getting away and spending time outdoors with their families and friends.

“Ford helped start the off-road phenomenon and has majored in off-road capability for decades – from the Bronco to the Raptor,” said Jim Farley, Ford president, Global Markets. “Now, we’re ready to reclaim our rightful place as the off-road vehicle leader.”

Ford also will grow its lineup of performance SUVs. Two additions to the Ford Performance lineup include the all-new Edge ST later this year, and an Explorer ST will soon follow. These two new SUVs will help Ford Performance deliver on its promise of 12 new models by 2020, and will help extend the division’s growth, which has risen 81 percent in the last four years.

Ford Performance sales are on track to grow another 71 percent by 2020, driven by SUVs.

First, the Ford lineup will be composed of trucks, suv's, and an assortment of crossovers -- the vast majority of that lineup already has IFS, including the models that are of a similar size to the Bronco (Explorer and Edge, which are specifically positioned as high volume models). So they have plenty of other options with good road manners for the majority of buyers. I hate to say it this way, but the truth is that a sturdy and truly capable off road vehicle is a niche machine that will not appeal to a lot of drivers (poor road manners is a classic complaint about the Wrangler) -- but the Bronco doesn't need to shine on the road, it needs to bring a cachet of "ruggedness" and "off road capability" to the Ford lineup in the same way that the Wrangler makes people think any Jeep is automatically more capable than the competition. Ford will use a similar formula with their 'FX4' packaging or something like it by dropping statements such as "uses the same XYZ as the Bronco" (just like they do with the HO 3.5 Raptor engine in trucks and suvs now).

Second, Ford directly and indirectly stated multiple times that they intend for the Bronco to not just compete with Jeep and the Wrangler, but to "reclaim our rightful place as the off-road vehicle leader". Could that be done with IFS? Sure, ultra-4 cars, pre-runners, and various buggies often have some freakishly capable IFS systems ... but they cost a fortune, and no one expects the Bronco to be the GT of offroading. Solid axles are a much more economical way of accomplishing that, while still leaving room for Ford to put a one-upsmanship twist on it, such as a link system that is easily adapted to more extreme capability, or offering tech first devloped for the Raptor such as sophisticated live valve shocks co-developed with Fox, or the 4-auto AWD plus locked 4x4 capability (the more vehicles they can put those things in, the less painful the development cost will be).

That is by no means certain, there is a lot of room for interpretation. After all, the 4Runner, Land Cruiser, Land Rover, and G-Wagon have IFS now too, the Wrangler is a bit of a last bastion for the simple durable solid front axle that 'every day offroaders' like and can afford. It will depend a lot on what Ford's goals are for the Bronco, and they have been pretty tight lipped.

Rocket

Outer Banks
First Name
Ralph
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, F-150, Bronco
Vehicle Showcase
Ford has experience with the solid front axles and all the Broncos from 66 to 79 and many pick up trucks including the current F-250. They were all good drivers.
I have confidence they will get it right too much riding on this.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
ISecond, Ford directly and indirectly stated multiple times that they intend for the Bronco to not just compete with Jeep and the Wrangler, but to "reclaim our rightful place as the off-road vehicle leader".
Shouldn't be just solid axles then, should be portals on top of that..............

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Shouldn't be just solid axles then, should be portals on top of that..............
An interesting option, but probably not one they're likely to pursue. Their idea of "leadership" might just mean sales figures, and have nothing to do with capability.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
An interesting option, but probably not one they're likely to pursue. Their idea of "leadership" might just mean sales figures, and have nothing to do with capability.
Of course. I fully expect whatever they come up with to be a let down in MY eyes.
I mean what does ford really lead in for strictly performance, Raptor?? (had the focus RS)

Everything else they sell leans more towards a compromise. Chevy/dodge's vs mustang on
road course/drag strip, fusion Sp/SHO vs M's/Audi's for perf sedans, almost nothing in the
way of true perf SUV's (save the Edge ST, finally, only 13 years after the Trailblazer SS).

But Ford will sell a bunch of Broncos (and Edge ST's probably), no matter what they are really..............

78CreamBrownie

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey Jeep JL
My ultimate hope is that one day the Ranger and Bronco Raptors become reality. I expect the first Bronco to be vanilla just like the launch Ranger. I feel like Ford has enough momentum with the Raptor brand and following to offer this one day in the future, but it has to sell and the public has to demand it.

This video shows just how good the Raptor is compared to trucks that is the most off road worthy and closest competition. Watch the three trucks at the 27 minute mark go up and hill and you will see that the Raptor is not just a paint and trim level upgrade. I want this for my Bronco or even Ranger.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
My ultimate hope is that one day the Ranger and Bronco Raptors become reality. I expect the first Bronco to be vanilla just like the launch Ranger. I feel like Ford has enough momentum with the Raptor brand and following to offer this one day in the future, but it has to sell and the public has to demand it. ...
Sadly, I think a "fast offroader" design like the Raptor is the direction Ford is likely to go. With very long, very strong, A-arms and axles, balanced with exceptional shocks it could make for a truly awe inspiring off road Bronco, but I think the reality will be a lot more compromised for cost and the knowledge that 90% of owners will never experience anything more daring than a rough highway with a bump in it.

Lame just-like-everything-else IFS seems more likely than buggy grade suspension; lame also seems more likely than solid axles. After having the IFS axle in my car grenade the other day in my driveway, I can't imagine that turning out well for a vehicle with lots of stress on it doing rough off road maneuvers.

BHShaman

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Sadly, I think a "fast offroader" design like the Raptor is the direction Ford is likely to go.
That is where the market it. A lot more people hit dirt trails, fire roads, and just want to 'go fast' in a lifted SUV, than rock crawl.

The crawler market is starving for a jeep alternative, so as long as the base can be built against the aftermarket will meet the need.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
That is where the market it. A lot more people hit dirt trails, fire roads, and just want to 'go fast' in a lifted SUV, than rock crawl.

The crawler market is starving for a jeep alternative, so as long as the base can be built against the aftermarket will meet the need.
Short and narrow wheelbases, as we can presume the Bronco is likely to have, make for very poor performance at high speed. Both in their ability to handle small disruptions like whoops, and the ability to maintain a straight track when one or the other end does leave the ground or lose traction at speed. It would make for a bucking Bronco. It works well for the pickup form, because they naturally have a long wheelbase (especially when its only available with 4 doors).

It makes so much more sense for the Bronco to fill a different niche -- slow maneuverable offroading. The type that really benefits from greater articulation. Allowing the Bronco to compete with models from other brands, and not with Ford's own.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It works well for the pickup form, because they naturally have a long wheelbase
Not only that, but available power. Need a lot more power for high speed running, dunes etc...
Do we think the bronco will have an engine easily capable of the Raptors 450 HP.

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diode Dynamics

Advertisement