Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Corvette Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have not been off roading yet so I don't know my arse from my elbow. I have a '22 4 door Black Diamond with the Sasquatch package. I recently purchase a 4 in by 30 ft tow strap that is rated to 30,000 pounds. I figured that would be adequate for my vehicle. As I was proudly showing off my new acquisition to a friend, he tells me I need a 30 ft kinetic energy rescue rope. I was rather shocked to see just how pricy these things can be. Could I connect a shorter length of kinetic rope to my non-stretchy tow strap and still get some "kinetic benefit" without the stretchy part having to be the full 30 feet long? (I know... I'm cheap but spending hundreds of dollars on a tool that I hope would never be needed doesn't make me smile.) Thanks.
Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Strap will work just fine. You figure you use it once or every other year. If you pulled people out for a living Iā€™d say other wise. Sounds like you got one of them best of the best friends. Iā€™d stop listening to him.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Way back when, as all this was starting, I used to yank people out with the Willys using a length of heavy chain. A nylon tow strap will still store a lot of energy (kinetic). The chain not so much.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Depends on where you wheel and who is available to pull you out. Sand or snow a kinetic rope is a must. If you wheel with smaller vehicles a kinetic rope is a a game changer. The advantage is there! Just go watch Matt's Recovery, he is pretty good at showing what can be done.

Do you need a Kinetic rope? New to wheeling, you should just keep to the simple tools.

I have a kinetic rope, bought it for snow wheeling to get my fat FZJ80 out while wheeling with mini-trucks. Haven't used it any other time than snow that a regular strap wouldn't have been fine.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bubba rope has a good rope that's not that expensive. 19K lbs.

Sponsored

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4DR, 2007 Saturn Sky
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4DR, 2007 Saturn Sky
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was told you use the formula of 3 times the load. 19K will pull a Jeep or Bronco. I paid $163 for the rope.
What about an ARB recovery snatch strap? Not quite as compact as a bubba rope, but less than half the price.
Breaking strength 17,600lbs for $67, 24,000 for $92 and 33,000 for $124.. The $67 was already in my amazon cart. :) I already have a winch, but wanted a snatch strap just in case and for helping others.
https://arbusa.com/recovery/recovery-straps-and-accessories/

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Kinetic strap (AKA - snatch strap) will work just as well as a kinetic rope, the strap just has a shorter life cycle. No need for a rope unless youā€˜re planning on more than a handful of recoveries over the life of the strap. ARB makes several in different strengths and a 17,600 should be just right for our Broncos. Much less expensive than a rope. Iā€™d go this route unless I was planning to use it a bunch then Iā€™d get a rope.

Tow straps and chains shouldnā€˜t be used for pulling someone out of sand, mud etc since they donā€™t stretch and you want some stretch to aid in recovery and protect both vehicles from getting something ripped off.

Sponsored

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Double check & make sure its a recovery strap/rope & not a tow strap/ rope. You don't want to yank a vehicle with a tow rope as they will break under dynamic loads.
Tow ropes/ straps are for towing a vehicle on the road not one that is stuck.

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

https://www.bubbarope.com/recovery-ropes/renegade-20-foot
This one?

Holy cow they get expensive. That 'extreme bubba 30 foot' is $1,010!! (But also 131,000 lb breaking strength)
That 131k recovery rope wouldn't be very "kinetic" when using your 6,000 vehicle. It would feel like a regular strap. I have one, and played with it with some full-size trucks. Felt like a regular strap since we couldn't stretch it! :). Definitely use the manufacturers recommendations. I use a 3/4" rope for my Samurai and a 7/8" for my Broncos.
Sponsored