Sponsored

Resources for finding Off-Road Trails and Trip Planning?

bajabronco57

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
iOverland app isn't bad. It's common for the Van Life community but there are some cool trails on it that I've found. Just keep in mind that some spots are just for like over night places in a van so you'll find random parking lots marked now and then.
Sponsored

fergthulhu

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands, '21 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also spoiled here in Colorado; most I have used are mentioned already (trailsoffroad, alltrails). But I often follow up by looking for youtube videos of the trails. Helps give you a sense of what you'll encounter on that particular trail: is it narrow, rocky, shelf roads, muddy, etc. Of course keeping in mind that trails can change vastly in a few weeks and video makes everything look easier/flatter. If you happen to find someone posting their videos in your area, you can often get other ideas from watching what trails they run (or messaging with them).

OP
OP
GreyZ

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is some really great info. Texas is likely my most reasonable first trip also. Still waiting on the Bronco to get here first though. I have noticed there are quite a few OHV parks that list as being for full size vehicles in Texas hill country. I will go through those and youtube/this plethora of websites to get an idea.

For reference, I have the most experience with Poughkeepsie, Mineral Creek, Imogene, Black Bear, Alpine loop area in a TJRubi and GX470. While I realize there isn't anything much similar east of the CO, I am trying to build a list of places to hit in Texas/Arkansas/Tennessee/Alabama.

I'll see how far down these resources I can find some cool stuff. If you have any experience or reviews let me know. or shoot me a message.

I think an additional concern of mine is it is less of a "what cool trails are in my area" and more of a "what area within a 500 mile radius" has cool trails.

Last edited:

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I would definitely plan a trip up to Ozark National Forest in Arkansas. There is a 5 day overlanding route that I did 3 days of. It was worth the 8 hour drive for me. Hot Springs Off Road park is awesome as well. When my Bronco finally (if ever) arrives, I'm going back to do all 5. If you come to the texas hill country I would plan a several day trip. There 3 or 4 offroad parks in the are in the same area within 1-2 hours of each other

I use Onx Offroad and Gaia for GPS and route planning/guidance

Last edited:

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OnX is definitely the way until Ford launches their off road trail map system if they ever do.

Sponsored

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OnXoffroad app for your phone. Its worth upgrading to premium for $30 a year also.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here in Idaho a Forest Service map shows a lot of interesting dirt roads up into the hills. The printed versions are usually free at any ranger station. Most are also available online as PDF files.

I've used these maps for the past three years for trips on my motorcycles. I intend to go to many of the same places in the Bronco whenever I finally get it. But I'll finally be able to take my wife along, because she doesn't like riding on two wheels. I keep track of where I've been using markers on the roads, which helps me to keep track of what needs further exploring or where I might want to get back to.

One of my goals is to see how many mountain peaks I can get to the top of. There used to be a lot of fire lookout stations up high, so they have roads to them. I can only think of two that are manned through the summer currently, but I've been to many more.

I'm sure it's a bit harder for those of you who live in flat places. ;)

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You can get apps or state lists or whatever or you can just type in your state into a youtube search like "lousiana offroad" and bam a bunch of videos of people wheeling in your state then just look up the locations for rules and directions and then you are getting dirty. Easy as that. 2 of my favorite hometown wheeling spots I found on youtube videos when I recognized the roads or rivers they were near.

Mr. Plow

Black Diamond
First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Expedition, 09' FEH, 68' Mercury Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you live out west all you have to do is buy National Park and National Forest maps... and you will have plenty of options available to you. I grew up in Arizona and we used to literally just pull out a tattered & torn national forest service map and pick a forest road to drive on. Easy, fun, it's great.

If you are unlucky and live out east like me and @BigSteveO ... there isn't a whole lot of options. For New Englanders specifically there are a few trails in White Mountain National Forest, but beyond that you're looking at privately owned trails, which usually cost money. If you live in the southeast... Tennessee, Kentucky, and parts of Virginia/West Virginia are your best bet for free trails, but there are a few private trails throughout. There are two in Alabama I know about that are fun and don't cost a ton of money.

If you live in the midwest or plains... go romp through some corn fields maybe?? I got nothing for you.

There are also cell phone apps that have many of these maps pre-loaded... the two most popular apps are onX Offroad and Gaia GPS. onX is somewhat new to the game but Gaia has been around forever
Thanks this is good to know, especially since I live in Arizona and my Bronco is my added reason for joining the off-road community.,

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks this is good to know, especially since I live in Arizona and my Bronco is my added reason for joining the off-road community.,
Nice!!

Coconino National Forest & Kiabab National Forest were my go-to places. Flagstaff/Williams/Prescott area.

If you want to go on a small road trip… southern Utah is also great. Hurricane, UT and Cedar City, UT has some awesome sand dunes and trails to tear around in.

And if you want to make an adventure out of it…instead of driving through Vegas to get to Utah, go up north through Flagstaff, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion National park, etc.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not helpful unless you are near to, or are planning to visit a National Forest but this is a great resource.

https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/

Will show all of the forest service roads and trails, I beleive it integrates the MVUM (Motor Vehicle Use Maps) info into it. Different regions mark them differently so may not be exact for all areas. And don't think that just because it's a Forest Service road that it's not "exciting". Some of these roads are pretty rugged, especially after a tough winter.

Mr. Plow

Black Diamond
First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Expedition, 09' FEH, 68' Mercury Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice!!

Coconino National Forest & Kiabab National Forest were my go-to places. Flagstaff/Williams/Prescott area.

If you want to go on a small road trip… southern Utah is also great. Hurricane, UT and Cedar City, UT has some awesome sand dunes and trails to tear around in.

And if you want to make an adventure out of it…instead of driving through Vegas to get to Utah, go up north through Flagstaff, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion National park, etc.
This is great! THANKS!!!

OP
OP
GreyZ

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With exactly zero in Idaho. :confused:
This is basically every one of these resources when looking in the southeast. Just flat land problems I guess. Tons of mud here though, but that's not really my thing.
Sponsored