Sponsored

Rest your Turbos when you park before turning off car?

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another reason for the Ford 4.6L and 5.0L NA V8s. You know: Power from displacement... and 300,000 miles of service...
Sponsored

Sweetair

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 SHO, 03 Marauder, '69 S Code XR7 vert Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have owned a few turbo'd Fords. 2013 SHO and 2021 Expedition. Never did this warm up and idle down thing. 85k on the SHO and zero motor/turbo issues.

I do ALWAYS change my oil as close to 3k miles as possible to keep the oil clean. That I feel is very important.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Another reason for the Ford 4.6L and 5.0L NA V8s. You know: Power from displacement... and 300,000 miles of service...
I watched a a 190K mile tear down of a 2.0 ecoboost engine and aside from carbon on the intake valves they said the engine looked like new and good for another 190K miles.

BillysMom

Base
First Name
Jetta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & some motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Base
I feel like this is common knowledge for any tubrocharged vehicle, but I'm a weirdo that likes to play with old turbo cars and diesels so idk

Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel like this is common knowledge for any tubrocharged vehicle, but I'm a weirdo that likes to play with old turbo cars and diesels so idk
correct. applicable to older vintage turbo vehicles that predate water cooled bearings and the eco-boost engine design

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, I didn't think that far down. I guess auto start with MTs can be a problem for some people.
It's ok, everyone forgets about us MT people, especially us stock Badlands peeps with 4.7 gearing that still confounds a lot of people 😂

LAB0035

Badlands
First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey everyone!

I just found something out! We should be resting our Turbos when you park before turning off car! Not only should we warm up our cars but we should let them rest first or else the Turbos will die!

This might come as a shock but when I was reading and I read that I was immediately so worried my Turbos will be dead! I'm at 4k miles and I know I have not let the SavSqch (thats my Broncos name) rest!

I am so upset FORD never told me this and between not knowing if you put 3quarts of oil or 11 quarts in engine and now this Im so upset my Bronco may not have a life of happiness and longevity!

What do you all do for your Turbos after you drive? Do you sit and rest, then turn off? I think after reading this the only acceptable time to shut off immediately is if you have turtle head poking out and you need to hit the can. Then screw the Turbos for that one time and go poop!

Am I in the minority by not resting the Bronco?
Most of this is old school BS. If you race your turbo vehicle then a cool down idle time before shutting down is a good thing. Normal driving never worry about it , keep clean syn oil in your vehicle, make sure you run the proper amount of oil. Clean air filter at reg intervals. With over 3 million mile on my turbo diesel's i never had a turbo failure, turbo race UTV's i never had turbo failures + i never cool them down. i have put hundreds of thousands of miles on my Porsches with no cool downs never an issue with turbos. Good oil and proper maintenance is your best friend

stormshadow3800

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Bronco Badlands (SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had no idea this was even a thing. I have a Jetta TDI with 285k miles and no turbo issues. I barely spool my turbo and get 20MPG on a 2.7 Bronco. It seems like people are driving their Broncos like they stole it. (get off my lawn)

Sponsored

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Keeping your boost up.... like pulling a heavy load... or keeping your foot in it and then shutting your engine off without idle time... a lot of boost will create heat.... just like running a tractor at full throttle for a period of time.... it needs to cool down....
Ok, we're on the same page!

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's ok, everyone forgets about us MT people, especially us stock Badlands peeps with 4.7 gearing that still confounds a lot of people 😂
We get no respect! Confounding people is fun! 😉😁😎

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would let the superduty idle for a bit after a hard pull up a hill with weight, but the oil temp in those cases was well north of 230. For every day driving, just turn the thing off if your temps are normal.

TDs BigBendBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Terrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey everyone!

I just found something out! We should be resting our Turbos when you park before turning off car! Not only should we warm up our cars but we should let them rest first or else the Turbos will die!

This might come as a shock but when I was reading and I read that I was immediately so worried my Turbos will be dead! I'm at 4k miles and I know I have not let the SavSqch (thats my Broncos name) rest!

I am so upset FORD never told me this and between not knowing if you put 3quarts of oil or 11 quarts in engine and now this Im so upset my Bronco may not have a life of happiness and longevity!

What do you all do for your Turbos after you drive? Do you sit and rest, then turn off? I think after reading this the only acceptable time to shut off immediately is if you have turtle head poking out and you need to hit the can. Then screw the Turbos for that one time and go poop!

Am I in the minority by not resting the Bronco?
Hi. Best book I ever read on this topic is here:

Drive It Forever: Your Key to Long Automobile Life https://a.co/d/4DGAZAB

older turbos had a “turbo timer” to cool down. Newer turbos (not sure about Ford’s)are also water cooled and the elect ic water pump may run for several minutes after tinting the engine off, negating the need to idle the engine for a bit as past of a cooldown.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I seriously can't believe so many replies to this thread after the initial OPs post... Like what the hummina humma?

Ford Bronco Rest your Turbos when you park before turning off car? rotflmao-cant-say-the-word-

Wtf

what is wrong with this post? Can’t I ask a question??

such a clown
I don't think he was making fun of your post. I believe he is thinking (same as me) that the answer to your question was given in the first page and then we got 7 more pages of everyone repeating the same answer over and over and over.
Sponsored