Sponsored

Retroactively install tow package wiring?

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I remove the tow package due to the commodity constraints, will it still have all the wiring for it or do I have to add that on later also? If not, can the dealership do all of the wiring?
Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So maanny posts about this. You are going to get replys like that.

But to answer, i thought I've read that wiring will have to be done. I'm sure the dealer would do it, but you will have to buy Ford parts.

OP
OP
Lilj4425

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So maanny posts about this. You are going to get replys like that.

But to answer, i thought I've read that wiring will have to be done. I'm sure the dealer would do it, but you will have to buy Ford parts.
Thanks. Looks like I will keeping the tow package then. :( I used the search feature and all I got were results for stupid cup holders. šŸ˜­

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If I remove the tow package due to the commodity constraints, will it still have all the wiring for it or do I have to add that on later also? If not, can the dealership do all of the wiring?
I know we really get tired of having the same questions asked over and over. Seems like if you follow this board at all you'll be up to date on the basics.

BUT...I have also tried to use the search and it sucks...pages and pages of people bitching about what outfit a person is wearing.

So I can understand it. To answer your question...NO... Ford has apperently made the decision that when you order withOUT an option, you don't get anything related to it.

no tow package = no wiring
No hard top = no hard top hookups
No fog light = no wiring and no dash switch
No 35" tires = different suspension geometry
No Front locker = no heavy duty front axle

In the end, you never know day to day what about your order is going to cause a delay. Hell, at this point paint color delays wouldn't surprise me.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, I'm keeping tow package.

I don't think you'll ever know for sure if you will, or if you did, get your particular bronco sooner just by removing it, so what's the point? Maybe it will be sitting on the shelf ready to go when all of your other commodities align together for a build.

Sponsored

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The tow package to me sounds like a good excuse to delay building a ton of vehicles so that they can save face and blame it on a commodity issue. Just saying.....I know I know everyone has already said this in other threads........ ;o) Very frustrated. What else do I need to give up. I have a 2Dr order with a 2.7 Tow and SAS. Offer me a soft top, I'd prefer it, but they aren't and then they will tell me the MIC top is delaying me, or the tow package or god knows what else. The new Z06 with flat plane crank is sounding real good about now...... ;o)

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Adding a receiver hitch only requires the righty tighty lefty loosey knowledge. The wiring is either there and no problem, or a simple tap into the rear tailights, which is a 15 minute project. I, as well as many others, see no reason to pay so much for something that costs so little and can be done at home in less than an hour.

DesertChip

Badlands
First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Q5, 2017 GTI, 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Adding a receiver hitch only requires the righty tighty lefty loosey knowledge. The wiring is either there and no problem, or a simple tap into the rear tailights, which is a 15 minute project. I, as well as many others, see no reason to pay so much for something that costs so little and can be done at home in less than an hour.
Tap into the rear tail lights can create problems with a vehicle with CAN bus wiring. Best to buy the Ford harness. Good Luck.

MathRanger

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR OBX Cactus Gray Lux
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have installed a couple of tow packages on cars I've owned. I can't speak for the Bronco, but what I found in the past was that both vehicles had a wiring harness that ran near the back of the vehicle, specifically both of mine had the harness just inside the panel between the taillight and the rear tire well. That wiring harness had a female connector hanging off empty. I just needed to get the tow hardware (hitch and bolt on bracket) and a short wiring harness that I could then run through the body and snap into that waiting female connector that was already present. I actually got all equipment from a salvage yard on an identical vehicle tow-equipped. I'm sure I could have ordered them, probably even OEM. After installing the hardware (30 minutes), the whole wiring process took about 25 minutes. Hopefully the Bronco will be the same for the tow package, UNLIKE the hard top problem. It appears that there's a lot more hardware, ie fluid and power lines that won't be installed in the pillar if you order a soft top up front. Just my conjecture which is worth what you paid for it!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Tap into the rear tail lights can create problems with a vehicle with CAN bus wiring. Best to buy the Ford harness. Good Luck.

It's done every day on every make and model. Will work just as well on the Bronco. Buy the Ford harness if you want though. You can never go wrong with OEM.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's done every day on every make and model. Will work just as well on the Bronco. Buy the Ford harness if you want though. You can never go wrong with OEM.
AFAIK the Bronco has a different way of wiring that doesn't let you simply tap in like everyone used to. Some kind of variable voltage thing.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sent an email to
My dealer yesterday asking if they can wire the 7 + 4 pin connector because the only one listed in the accessories catalog is a simple 4 pin, and the seven includes integration into the 360 braking for the accessory brake controller, along with the connector for the brake controller.

No reply yet.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I did a little research on what it takes to add a hitch and wiring to a '21 Grand Cherokee.

Adding 4 wire is fairly simple, just insert plug at each taillight. The system does use an auxiliary power supply however because modern systems use wiring that may be too light to carry adequate current for trailer lights. Such and add on harness is about $150.

I would assume Broncos with LED taillights would further complicate the issue.

7 wire is far more complicated.
Sponsored