Sponsored

Retroactively install tow package wiring?

thesyncguru

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4 runner TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
According to the specs I saw that were just released a couple days ago they all have the same towing capacity. The asterisk by First Edition and Base said it must have the added Ford Accessory Hitch added. Personally I won't be towing but will have a bike rack, so I deleted my tow hitch from my Badlands order to see what happens scheduling wise over the next 2 weeks. I am the number 1 non-First Edition in my store that has not been selected for preview yet. Call it an experiment to see what happens, but if it means months I can deal without the 7 pin wiring that I would never use anyway. Hell I might just add a whole rear bumper with one integrated anyway. I kind of doubt it will help move up the production date, so if it doesn't get scheduled again I will just put it back on in 2 weeks and wait my turn.
Sponsored

CWO4

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You canā€™t option the tow package on the base, but I could have sworn I saw somewhere that fleet/.gov Base Broncos were available with tow package specā€™d.

The documentation we have also states that Trailer Brake Control is included on all trims (including Base), soā€¦.
Please post said documentation, have been around and around with this, even had a friend at Ford check with the engineers, the brake controller does NOT come standard with the tow package, period.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Please post said documentation, have been around and around with this, even had a friend at Ford check with the engineers, the brake controller does NOT come standard with the tow package, period.
Iā€™m sorry, I misspoke at the bottom of that post. I meant to say ā€œTrailer SWAY Control.ā€

Youā€™ll see that in my previous post I did indeed reiterate that the trailer brake controller is not included. (I suspect I had trailer brake controllers on my mind and thatā€™s why I typed the wrong thing.)

Thank you for catching that. I will edit my post.

JakeC

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sent an email to
My dealer yesterday asking if they can wire the 7 + 4 pin connector because the only one listed in the accessories catalog is a simple 4 pin, and the seven includes integration into the 360 braking for the accessory brake controller, along with the connector for the brake controller.

No reply yet.
Not sure if I followed up on this, but they asked the Ford territory rep, who just pointed them back to the 4 pin accessory one. So no answer.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

When I look at the configurator online, it specifically states that the tow package does NOT include the brake controller. Curious if you are referring to something else?
The tow package doesnā€™t, but the accessory brake controller says something about being the only controller that interfaces with pre-collision etc. So it would seem the seven pin set up is more integrated with the Bronco than a simple wiring plug.

JDisFlip

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
Your Bronco Model
Base
You canā€™t option the tow package on the base, but I could have sworn I saw somewhere that fleet/.gov Base Broncos were available with tow package specā€™d.

The documentation we have also states that Trailer Sway Control is included on all trims (including Base), soā€¦.

šŸ¤£šŸ‘ what swaying will i control with my Base 2 door with 410 lbs or so of torque ... that i have to find some way not from the factory to add towing capability.

I eventually want to tow so ill have to figure something out after it gets home šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So are we now thinking that if you only needed the 4 pin, that wiring that up later with the $110 part is now reasonably doable?

I doubt I'll ever need the 7 pin, but definitely the 4.
Sponsored