Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So they had a manual in the mix at the Off-Roadeo, there were 12 Broncos in our group and nobody wanted to drive it. Day 1 I said I would if I had to but would rather have an auto because that's what I ordered and wanted to have my first experience driving a 2021 to be in that. They went ahead a swapped it out for me. The second day I was like why not and I drove the manual. I got to lead the group both days, Bronco 1 in group 1 of the first day for customers, so that's cool! Driving the manual went so much better than I thought it would so I wanted to share that experience.

First some background: I have quite a bit of time off-road in a manual. My first Bronco, an 89, was a manual and I've been out to the local rock park quite a bit. So in my previous experience, off-roading a manual was a TON of work. There is one particular trail that has big rocks spread a few feet apart running several hundred yards through tight trees. The rocks are large enough that you have to throttle over most but are spread out such that you can't maintain any speed through the trees. Getting through this trail involved using the clutch about 1000 times. My calf hurts just thinking about it...

Now to yesterday and the 2021 manual. So the first trail was a run-off wash with a few knee deep water holes and decent sized rocks spread throughout. I started off in 1st (not Crawl), 4 low, sta-bar disconnected, front and rear unlocked. I touched the clutch once to get in gear, after that I wheeled that entire trail without ever needing the clutch. It crawled through effortlessly. I was averaging 1.5 to 2 mph @ 1k rpm and only had to use very small amounts of throttle to maintain that over obstacles. There were several slightly-technical uphills and downhills later in the day that I used 1st instead of Crawl and was fine. First was very low and I felt like I had enough speed control for most anything you'd see in general trail riding. I could start from a standstill in 2nd with very little feathering and even used it on several mild uphills and didn't stall.

Crawl gear was just that, a Crawl, less than .5 mph. Definitely don't plan on carrying any speed in crawl, it is LOW. LOADS of torque, it ate-up the rocks. I could literally crawl over most obstacles with almost 0 throttle and rarely had to use clutch on even technical sections. I made the comment to our guide that it felt like driving a tractor, so low and torque-y. It was everything it needed to be.

Down hill was super controlled (in any gear). The engine breaking is out of the world. On average downhills it slowed all the way down to like 1500 rpms, it was amazing.

Given it was the first time driving THIS vehicle (and anyone who has driven a manual knows they're all different) and it was in an off-road situation, I think I only killed it like 3 or 4 times all day. In most cases if I would have went into the obstacle locked I wouldn't have had an issue. We were trying to show the capabilites and the Bronco so the general train of thought was go in with as little as possible then enable features as needed.

The shift pattern was fairly tight so I had to hunt for the gears a bit but that comes with time in the seat. Not using the lock-ring on Crawl got me a couple of times and I ended up in 2nd.

On the Baja track I was in 4-high and second gear. I was averaging 15-30 mph (the speed limit was 25 but I pushed it a tiny bit). It was powering through the curves like a boss, no power issues with the 2.3L in my opinion. Again, loads of torque.

Overall I was blown away and would not hesitate to recommend the manual. There wasn't a single case where I felt it made things more difficult that I wouldn't attribute to familiarity. If I had a few weeks behind the wheel it would have been smooth as butter.

Personally I still would rather have the auto for a few reasons: First, I'm lazy and too old to be stepping on the clutch at every stop light. Second, the 2.7 is a BEAST. I don't think the 2.3 is underpowered by any means, but that 2.7, wow... Third, the technology that you miss out on is a shame. The trail control and the turn assist are AMAZING, AMAZING.

So I'm sure I missed something, please feel free to ask questions.

Note: This pic is from the first day, not the manual.
20210628_152806.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Will you do a write up comparing your experience with the auto?
Ya, I see the value in that. I'll work on it in a couple minutes.

BroncoPA65

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Fords & VW's
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So they had a manual in the mix at the Off-Roadeo. Day 1 I asked them to swap it out because I ordered an auto and wanted to have my first experience driving a 2021 to be in that. The second day I was like why not and I drove the manual. It went so much better than I thought it would so I wanted to share that experience.

First some background: I have quite a bit of time off-road in a manual. My first Bronco, an 89, was a manual and I've been out to the local rock park quite a bit. So in my previous experience, off-roading a manual was a TON of work. There is one particular trail that has big rocks spread a few feet apart running several hundred yards through tight trees. The rocks are large enough that you have to throttle over most but are spread out such that you can't maintain any speed through the trees. Getting through this trail involved using the clutch about 1000 times. My calf hurts just thinking about it...

Now to yesterday and the 2021 manual. So the first trail was a run-off wash with a few knee deep water holes and decent sized rocks spread throughout. I started off in 1st (not Crawl), 4 low, sta-bar disconnected, front and rear unlocked. I touched the clutch once to get in gear, after that I wheeled that entire trail without ever needing the clutch. It crawled through effortlessly. I was averaging 1.5 to 2 mph @ 1k rpm and only had to use very small amounts of throttle to maintain that over obstacles. There were several slightly-technical uphills and downhills later in the day that I used 1st instead of Crawl was fine. First was very low and I felt like I had enough speed control for most anything you'd see in general trail riding. I could start from a standstill in 2nd with very little feathering and even used it on several mild uphills and didn't stall.

Crawl gear was just that, a Crawl, less than .5 mph. Definitely don't plan on carrying any speed in crawl, it is LOW. LOADS of torque, it ate-up the rocks. I could literally crawl over most obstacles with almost 0 throttle and rarely had to use clutch on even technical sections. I make the comment to oir guide that it felt like driving a tractor, so low and torque-y. It was everything it needed to be.

Down hill was super controlled (in any gear). The engine breaking is out of the world. On average downhills it slowed all the way down to like 1500 rpms, it was amazing.

Given it was the first time driving THIS vehicle (and anyone who has driven a manual knows they're all different) and it was in an off-road situation, I think I only killed it like 3 or 4 times all day. In most cases if I would have went into the obstacle locked I wouldn't have had an issue. We were trying to show the capabilites and the Bronco so the general train of thought was go in with as little as possible then enable features as needed.

The shift pattern was fairly tight so I had to hunt for the gears a bit but that comes with time in the seat. Not using the lock-ring on Crawl got me a couple of times and I ended up in 2nd.

On the Baja track I was in 4-high and second gear. I was averaging 15-30 mph (the speed limit was 25 but I pushed it a tiny bit). It was powering through the curves like a boss, no power issues with the 2.3L in my opinion. Again, loads of torque.

Overall I was blown away and would not hesitate to recommend the manual. There wasn't a single case where I felt it made things more difficult that I wouldn't attribute to familiarity. If I had a few weeks behind the wheel it would have been smooth as butter.

Personally I still would rather have the auto for a few reasons: First, I'm lazy and too old to be stepping on the clutch at every stop light. Second, the 2.7 is a BEAST. I don't think the 2.3 is underpowered by any means, but that 2.7, wow... Third, the technology that you miss out on is a shame. The trail control and the turn assist are AMAZING, AMAZING.

Ford Bronco Review:  I drove a manual at the Off-Roadeo 20210628_152806
That's a good report on the MT. One of the reasons I reserved a Bronco was for the MT option. I've been curious about the power situation with the 2.3L, but figure that Ford's Engineers did their homework!

My daily driver is also an MT, so I'm not to concerned about rowing to work. I agree with you about missing some of those features, but hey, life is filled with tradeoffs.

Let me put out this way, being from Pennsylvania, if George Washington was here today and was rowing across the Delaware River to NJ, he'd do it in a MT Bronco!

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm annoyed that they neutered the manual with all the restrictions on options but I loathe autos too much to ever consider one for a second.

MOBroncoSTL

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 MX-5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Now that is a great review. I thought for sure I was going to get the manual but over the months of waiting I have decided to also go with the auto. My realization came while test driving a jeep with a manual transmission. I have shorter legs and I had to sit too close to the steering wheel for my liking. Then I started thinking about how many long road trips I have planned for my Bronco and how I need to change seating positions when putting in hours and hours of driving. I realized that the manual transmission would lock me into less options.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

thats good to hear. i feel that the bronco will be one of the last cars/trucks of this generation that will be manual. one reason i want it. but the only issue for me is the fact that mid package on most trim levels do not allow manual. and canadian winters = heated seats.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Love this! Thank you for the review.

Bulletbill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Awesome write up! I’ve been waiting to hear feedback on the manual from a non professional driver or a paid reviewer.

I can’t wait to get mine, but you are right, it is a shame you can’t get turn assist with it. One option that I am disappointed in with the manual.

Sponsored

KEM IA

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice write up (y)

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So they had a manual in the mix at the Off-Roadeo. Day 1 I asked them to swap it out because I ordered an auto and wanted to have my first experience driving a 2021 to be in that. The second day I was like why not and I drove the manual. It went so much better than I thought it would so I wanted to share that experience.

Now to yesterday and the 2021 manual. So the first trail was a run-off wash with a few knee deep water holes and decent sized rocks spread throughout. I started off in 1st (not Crawl), 4 low, sta-bar disconnected, front and rear unlocked. I touched the clutch once to get in gear, after that I wheeled that entire trail without ever needing the clutch. It crawled through effortlessly. I was averaging 1.5 to 2 mph @ 1k rpm and only had to use very small amounts of throttle to maintain that over obstacles. There were several slightly-technical uphills and downhills later in the day that I used 1st instead of Crawl was fine. First was very low and I felt like I had enough speed control for most anything you'd see in general trail riding. I could start from a standstill in 2nd with very little feathering and even used it on several mild uphills and didn't stall.

Crawl gear was just that, a Crawl, less than .5 mph. Definitely don't plan on carrying any speed in crawl, it is LOW. LOADS of torque, it ate-up the rocks. I could literally crawl over most obstacles with almost 0 throttle and rarely had to use clutch on even technical sections. I made the comment to our guide that it felt like driving a tractor, so low and torque-y. It was everything it needed to be.

Ford Bronco Review:  I drove a manual at the Off-Roadeo 20210628_152806
Nice job and great details for those still deciding!

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thanks for this. What I find in the JKUR is the 4.0 transfer case 4L is too low when you get to open trail sections and want to hustle up. But in 1st and 4L you can just idle / feather up and over a lot.

Question—trying to remember when I sat in the dealer roadshow one and played with the shifter—does the shift lever spring to the center 3-4 gate? On the JKUR the shifter is sprung in a way that if you let it center in Neutral - that would be the 3-4 gate. So the way to get into first is go past the "natural center" and down into 2nd, then up into first, the way from 2nd to third is to let it go to "natural center" and then straight up, and the way to 5th is for right / up. 2nd to 3rd is a nuance that takes getting used to, and isn't always easy to. find with all the motion on the trail.

I am hoping the Badlands with the 3.06 transfer case 4L, the open trail running is a little easier, and that super low crawler crawl ratio is like and a little better than the JKUR.

Based on the calcs, looks like it will be:
Badlands​
JKUR​
C
94.7​
61.6​
73.1​
34.0​
42.8​
20.9​
28.2​
14.4​
20.5​
11.2​
16.4​
9.3​
13.8​

RPMs in 6th at 25 MPH on 285/70-17s:
Badlands: 2313
JKUR: 3432

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for this. What I find in the JKUR is the 4.0 transfer case 4L is too low when you get to open trail sections and want to hustle up. But in 1st and 4L you can just idle / feather up and over a lot.

Question—trying to remember when I sat in the dealer roadshow one and played with the shifter—does the shift lever spring to the center 3-4 gate? On the JKUR the shifter is sprung in a way that if you let it center in Neutral - that would be the 3-4 gate. So the way to get into first is go past the "natural center" and down into 2nd, then up into first, the way from 2nd to third is to let it go to "natural center" and then straight up, and the way to 5th is for right / up. 2nd to 3rd is a nuance that takes getting used to, and isn't always easy to. find with all the motion on the trail.

I am hoping the Badlands with the 3.06 transfer case 4L, the open trail running is a little easier, and that super low crawler crawl ratio is like and a little better than the JKUR.

Based on the calcs, looks like it will be:
Badlands​
JKUR​
C
94.7​
61.6​
73.1​
34.0​
42.8​
20.9​
28.2​
14.4​
20.5​
11.2​
16.4​
9.3​
13.8​

RPMs in 6th at 25 MPH on 285/70-17s:
Badlands: 2313
JKUR: 3432
So I don't recall the exact neutral centering position, too much on my brain to have retained that.

On the trails, I was in 1st most of the day and paced the group fairly well. When the trails got a little easier I ran 2nd. I was lead Bronco and the guide rode with me so we set the pace (when the group was keeping up).

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So I don't recall the exact neutral centering position, too much on my brain to have retained that.

On the trails, I was in 1st most of the day and paced the group fairly well. When the trails got a little easier I ran 2nd. I was lead Bronco and the guide rode with me so we set the pace (when the group was keeping up).
Thanks!

(Come on VIN notification email: get here already…)
Sponsored