Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
2/10/21 update: 4K HD (2160p60) video of Cactus Gray can be seen on the Ranger Tremor videos, frankly, the color is not doing much for me compared to the showcase Bronco, but others might enjoy it more:

Went to the dealership with my trusty Astro 50-SLMAX inspection lamp. This will put out 500 watts at either 4500 or 6000 Kelvin.. This is one of the most accurate LED bulbs on the market today.

All pics and video taken with a Samsung Galaxy S20+. I need to share that the pictures of Cactus Gray, even while taking them appeared "off" on screen. The paint card produced by Ford has an obscenely glossy plastic covering that seemed to throw it off, however, in person the color was a simple and uniform drab, single-hue light gray. Those cool videos of the Mustang Mach 1 in Fighter Jet Gray? Yea, not like that. Just gray. The suuuuuuper cool surf green of the press car? Absolutely not like that either. Just paint one side of a window light gray, then view from the other side. That was really "it" as far as how the paint card showcased the color.

Astro 50-SLMAX at Amazon

Full disclosure: while I was very pleased with the quality of the paint book, Ford put out, I do wonder if they are achieving the flake appearance on the plastic card by having one side with a texture which they paint silver, then the tinted clears over. I do not feel you get an incredibly accurate representation of the flaked colors. Again, it is very good. But it does seem to be produced rather than actually sprayed paint on a surface.

Cactus Gray against a surf green T-shirt (worn just for this comparison, then the GF slaughters the pic).

Personal opinion of this color was severe disappointment. This color is nothing like the initial release pics would make you think. It has essentially zero green or blue to it in person. If you wanted gray or tan, you got it.

However, see the full disclosure above. I don't think this is sprayed on as opposed to a film created to be very close. Unfortunately, that puts the CG people back on the fence of "I wanted it to have the blue/green hues, do I risk ordering and roll the dice?". Your call. Or if you wanted gray/tan, will it have green/blue in production???? Who knows!

Ford Bronco Reviewed Bronco paint samples book with inspection lamp - Photos & Video of Antimatter Blue, Cactus Gray, Cyber Orange, Rapid Red 20200918_204436

4500k, at a steep angle.
Ford Bronco Reviewed Bronco paint samples book with inspection lamp - Photos & Video of Antimatter Blue, Cactus Gray, Cyber Orange, Rapid Red 20200918_203635

CG, RR and A-51 at 6000k.
Ford Bronco Reviewed Bronco paint samples book with inspection lamp - Photos & Video of Antimatter Blue, Cactus Gray, Cyber Orange, Rapid Red 20200918_203529

The best shot I could get of Cyber Orange was at 6000k and by bending the paint card gently. It almost has more of a pearl appearance than flake. The flake itself was more bright gold/silver.
Ford Bronco Reviewed Bronco paint samples book with inspection lamp - Photos & Video of Antimatter Blue, Cactus Gray, Cyber Orange, Rapid Red 20200918_204607

4500k, has a beautiful silver/gold sparkle, not "school bus yellow" at all.
Ford Bronco Reviewed Bronco paint samples book with inspection lamp - Photos & Video of Antimatter Blue, Cactus Gray, Cyber Orange, Rapid Red 20200918_204603

Trying to pick up the "flake" in rapid red at 5400k (see full disclosure above)
Ford Bronco Reviewed Bronco paint samples book with inspection lamp - Photos & Video of Antimatter Blue, Cactus Gray, Cyber Orange, Rapid Red 20200918_204551

This was at the mercy of dealership overhead lighting. These have been the main colors I've either wanted to see, or am comparing for my Bronco build.
Ford Bronco Reviewed Bronco paint samples book with inspection lamp - Photos & Video of Antimatter Blue, Cactus Gray, Cyber Orange, Rapid Red 20200918_203629

VIDEO

Now that the mods merged all the 40 second videos into one and posted for me, here are comments of in-person time with the cards:

Cactus Gray: is just gray. Any blue hue shown is the camera as no blue or green was observed in person. In person this color had no depth or "chameleon" properties. Combining Bronco Sport pics with this card, I am convinced the pre-production color was altered before production. This was my #1 color, hoping for the green or blue hues. Instead it is as feared, a ultra modern concrete color (please drive with your lights on, truckers cant see this color in their mirrors). Note that I did not see ANY khaki or tan in this color, so I'm not sure why the Bronco Sport pics posted recently looked tan.

Antimatter Blue: the pic lying flat on the table is indoors with full overhead lights and the paint looks black. Only when 50 watts of specific Kelvin light are applied from 24" away does this color not look black. Here in Seattle that color will just be black 95-99% of the time. Pics of Jay Leno's Bronco seem to be legitimate comparison. It was AWESOME in person when bending that card and playing with the light angles. In a very sunny state this color will be amazing as the blues pull your eye.

Rapid Red: the video has some maroon to it but I did not see this in person it is very much a "red red". It shows better in person than the video. This color is on a bunch of models, go hit a dealership to see in person.
I have a Soul Red Crystal Mazda now, so this color seems like a minor downgrade, but the Mazda red is critically acclaimed as being gorgeous. This is 90% of Soul Red Crystal. I feel the card gave this color more depth and character than it has in real life once on a car. It will always photograph well being a tri-coat.

Cyber Orange Schoolbus: when laying flat it was mostly orange. Once light was applied this color danced. See disclosure about the card material. However, in person this color just danced in the light. It grew on me a lot. People who like this color will be rewarded with a paint that keeps them intrigued. If you love the orange and wish it didn't have silver/gold, you won't love this. Its a dynamic color.​
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rick Astley

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So SB doesn't stand for school bus lol. CO is definitely an interesting color with that gold flake...I want it even more.

Shoutout to your gf for humoring you. Great job!
I have a video specifically of School Bus thats pretty cool for those folks wanting the color.

And yea, she's pretty damn awesome with all this stuff! She saw the positive sides of a car addicted BF when helping her pre-order her Ranger.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Awesome job, still like Area 51 as of now. Cyber Schoolbus is still yellow, Antimatter Blue is still black. Rapid Red looks good too.

Big Island Bronco ?♂️

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, 1971 Z28 R/S
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks Rick ?, I kind of figured cyber orange metallic would look more pearlescent in full sun or at least that’s what I was hoping. So in Michigan with its anemic sun it looks more school bus yellow but in Hawai’i it’s going to really pop ?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rick Astley

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thanks Rick ?, I kind of figured cyber orange metallic would look more pearlescent in full sun or at least that’s what I was hoping. So in Michigan with its anemic sun it looks more school bus yellow but in Hawai’i it’s going to really pop ?
Wait till the moderator posts the video! Lots to see with that color.

Anthraces

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Japanese car/SUV unfortunately
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So SB doesn't stand for school bus lol. CO is definitely an interesting color with that gold flake...I want it even more.

Shoutout to your gf for humoring you. Great job!
Yep, more and more sold on orange. Want to see it with a white top though...just to see how it would look.

Anthraces

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Japanese car/SUV unfortunately
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome job, still like Area 51 as of now. Cyber Schoolbus is still yellow, Antimatter Blue is still black. Rapid Red looks good too.
yeah 51 with a white top is my second choice at the moment, or VB with white third.

OP
OP
Rick Astley

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I figured I would try and find me a Mach-E in cyber orange at a dealership so I could check it out in person
In the lighting and area you live in, I'm really excited to hear you're interested in Cyber Orange. That, or Rapid Red would be very deep, rich, beautiful colors!
Antimatter Blue would also be a real head turner. But would just be black once the sun goes down.

Sponsored

Drinxxs04

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The video of the CO definitely changes my opinion more positively....very good looking and the Rapid Red as well....was hesitant of rapid because I didn’t want that maroon tint when shadowed or night time. But ?

irv0735

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes Sprinter 4x4, 2021 Bronco Reserved
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is great @Rick Astley , thank you for the detailed look!
Of course your comments on the CG still keep me on the fence, but more information is good information in my book. (y)