Sponsored

Reviews wanted on Expedition One Rear bumper with tire carrier

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice mod to the 3rd brake light! Better than the rings, for sure... Unique!!! 🤞 🤞
I agree (y)
I missed it the first time I looked at it. I'll probably go this route.
Sponsored

Samsquanch75

Black Diamond
First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sasquatch 4dr, 2018 4Runner TRD OffRd
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My biggest question is how is the noise? Body and frame (bumper) move independently of each other and being attached to both doesn't seem ideal.
Can honestly say that I think it’s quieter with this setup than with the full weight of tire hanging on the rear gate. There is no squeaking at all, Ford put a thick Jute pad behind the factory tire mount to reduce reverberations from a big ass tire hanging off the alloy door, the reverberations are now transferred to the bumper and not noticed inside.

Samsquanch75

Black Diamond
First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sasquatch 4dr, 2018 4Runner TRD OffRd
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice mod to the 3rd brake light! Better than the rings, for sure... Unique!!! 🤞 🤞
Thanks, seemed like best option at the time of install, I used a bracket that came with the Expo bumper, cut it into a basic L shape, hacked off most of the factory plastic brake light housing and ground it smooth on a large belt sander. Used two Small stainless bolts that came with the bumper and drilled thru the housing / tab.
I see DV8 has a nice housing made to hold the factory light assembly but it only ships with they’re tire mount delete plate, Have tried calling multiple times and sent an email with no response in an attempt to get one.

choppersean

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Sasquatch, 2-door, EG, 2.7, Auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone know if this bumper can fit without interference with the factory tow plug assembly? It says it accommodates the stock receiver hitch, but not sure if that means tow plugs as well. Website doesn't seem to be that specific.

Looks like their current offering has addressed relocation of factory brake light and also license plate mount.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks, seemed like best option at the time of install, I used a bracket that came with the Expo bumper, cut it into a basic L shape, hacked off most of the factory plastic brake light housing and ground it smooth on a large belt sander. Used two Small stainless bolts that came with the bumper and drilled thru the housing / tab.
I see DV8 has a nice housing made to hold the factory light assembly but it only ships with they’re tire mount delete plate, Have tried calling multiple times and sent an email with no response in an attempt to get one.
Yeah, looks good! Going to put some light behind my wheel n see how it looks this weekend. Thx...👍👍

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

choppersean

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Sasquatch, 2-door, EG, 2.7, Auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excellent.....muchas gracias!

What lights did you end up going with?
Harbor Freight floods. $35 for the pair. I just needed something to fill the holes, not blind the camera so it made more sense than the $200+ options :cool:

Last edited:

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My biggest question is how is the noise? Body and frame (bumper) move independently of each other and being attached to both doesn't seem ideal.
There is no noise, well unless the swing out carrier bearings fail, then you have more squeaking when you open/close the gate. There are polyurethane bushings in the gate attachment mechanism. There is give, about the same as the body mount bushings. Frame twisting is not really where you need the movement, it is the road vibrations.

As far as the 3rd brake light, I would suggest a replacement, here are two, the first one I've been running since 2009.

ORO™ PlateLITE™ License Plate 3rd Brake Light and License Plate Light w/ 6 Foot Harness [ORO-PLATELITE] (rockhard4x4.com)

Poison Spyder Customs LED License Plate Holder and 3rd Brake Light - 41-04-406 | 4WD.com

Fact. No state requires a 3rd brake light. Fed law says a new vehicle must have one when it is made, or stated differently, when it leaves the factory. In short, you are not legally required to run one. That said, it is a good idea. The ones above offer a great solution of tag illumination, which is required by law, and a brake light. It is there, so even a cop that does not know the law, and that is most cops, will not have any reason to give you a hassle.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I bought my bumper set in 2009, they had on their website "fuel cans coming soon". I looked over the years and laughed every time. Hey its only been 14 years, soon is a relative term 'ya know.

Here is a pic of where I put a 4 gallon, worked great with the soft top, rested right above of the tailgate, would not work with a hardtop. Hoping I can do something similar with the Bronco.

If you go something against the photo, I'll tell you like I did my third wife....I had a life before you, deal with it.

IMG_1981_edited.jpg
Now that I've got my 37 mounted, looks like it would be no problem stuffing a Roto-pack behind there with a hard top. I would be interested in what type of mount you had.

I put my 3rd brake light back in it's original position. I found a bracket in the garage.
Curious where anyone found to tap the power for license plate light. I hate to splice the factory wiring. Thinking about opening up the factory light though and using it's plug. It has 3 leads. Anyone know the pin out?

Ford Bronco Reviews wanted on Expedition One Rear bumper with tire carrier IMG_0432

Sponsored

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just got an email my bumpers have been made, headed to powder coat now. Seems like I should have them by end of April, I would think. Made the order middle of December. 12/14, so right at 4 months wait.

I'll do an install thread. Got the front winch and backup lights waiting.....

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I wonder why it takes them 4 months to produce a bumper, doesn't seem like a good business model. I get they make bumpers for other vehicles, but curious as to what their actual process is.
For those ordering, how come you are not ordering bare and having your own shop powder coat it given pics in this thread with surface rust in such a short time?

Different note, I haven't been able to get them to respond to email or phone calls. Id like to add this rear bumper to my Bronco Raptor, but had some concerns on bolt patterns not being the same for the wheels so it actually not working, unless they will modify it.

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder why it takes them 4 months to produce a bumper, doesn't seem like a good business model. I get they make bumpers for other vehicles, but curious as to what their actual process is.
For those ordering, how come you are not ordering bare and having your own shop powder coat it given pics in this thread with surface rust in such a short time?

Different note, I haven't been able to get them to respond to email or phone calls. Id like to add this rear bumper to my Bronco Raptor, but had some concerns on bolt patterns not being the same for the wheels so it actually not working, unless they will modify it.
The wait is due to backlog, not a bad sign. I've been running these bumpers on my JK since 2009 with zero issues, as I stated in this thread the pic show human error. I'll inspect the bumpers when I get them; I'd imagine any skipped or lightly coated parts will be on the backside. If so, I'll spray on a coating before install. Not a big issue to me.

When I placed my order I also had a question and they picked up on the first phone call. I'd say try again. Good point on the different lug pattern for the Raptor.

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Whoever gets this bumper next, can you do me a favor before assembling it all and take a pic of the specific part that has the wheel studs in it. I want to see how much work it will be to customize the pattern to fit the bronco raptor. Expedition 1 won't have an offering this year for the bronco raptor.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Whoever gets this bumper next, can you do me a favor before assembling it all and take a pic of the specific part that has the wheel studs in it. I want to see how much work it will be to customize the pattern to fit the bronco raptor. Expedition 1 won't have an offering this year for the bronco raptor.
You re-use your existing wheel stud assembly. It goes into a housing they give you.
Sponsored