Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My information is a few years out of date (and not retail) and I appreciate the updates. My point was more just spend the $ and let leave it to the pros. Time > $
I take pride in my boutique auto detailing (as a function of professional training, experience and equipment), but I know that even blocking out the car would be beyond my patience level to build skills in that.

My price was about $6,000 under local market rate for the job being performed. However, I stripped the car down for paint myself, i'm doing all the wet sanding and final paint correction and re-assembly. Sure, I "could" have had them do it but my wallet is far from unlimited, and it's also a great bonding experience with your car to wrench on it yourself.

Now that I discovered the seats were also rotten, i'm getting to re-do the interior as well and trying my hand at everything which doesn't involve sewing, so there are new skills and an adventure to be had with that!

Ultimately this paint job has spiraled out of control for it's total time commitment and the car likely won't be running for this summers driving season. That's okay! The Thunderbird and it's thunderous V8 will be an excellent road companion!

Last summer, on the Thunderbird, I performed a full front end rebuild with every nut, bolt, bushing, rubber component and suspension being replaced and upgraded. She'll be plenty of fun to drive while also having the '51 to slowly get back on the road.

At first I was in over my head having 2 classic cars (i'm an accountant after all, not a professional mechanic!), but now it lets me have longer projects while still having a running car to drive and I couldn't be happier! It also helps that the only annual costs is limited-mileage insurance. Being exempt from highway tolls and having to pay annual licensing/tabs is a bonus!
Sponsored

Philvis77

Black Diamond
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Few Months? A good paint shop and about say $3,500 probably safely gets you there. Look at how much time I saved you. You could probably get it for a lot less, but as you pointed out that would take time and effort and tools......:p
My wife's Rav4 was repainted for free last year due to a recall issue. The guy at the shop said it was a $10,000 job including labor. I guess Earl Scheib prices are up there too now!

JDS

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TT Roadster, Reatta convertible.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My wife's Rav4 was repainted for free last year due to a recall issue. The guy at the shop said it was a $10,000 job including labor. I guess Earl Scheib prices are up there too now!
"Recall pricing" is a horse of a different color. Its like ADM......

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Warranty/Recall paint issues are a totally different animal when pricing comes into play.

I should know, I was the main Refinish guy at the shop I had worked at. The pay to the person doing the repair and material coverage isn't very good.

In fact, Automakers try to screw you out of how much you get paid, especially for complete re-paints, and try to impose cost limits on materials and set low hours allowed, that they will pay for.

There were ways to work the system and gain a little wiggle room, but not sure if that's the case anymore.

I do wish I owned a house with a real garage, instead of a condo with a shared garage, but it's probably a blessing because I would more than likely have a a couple vehicle or motorcycle projects sitting around.

I'll just live vicariously thru Rick and others that are able too. Don't get me wrong, I will be doing as much as I possibly can on the Bronco, but I'm already setting aside the 'beer bribe fund' for when I may need to 'borrow' a friend/co-workers garage for a day or two.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rick Astley

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This could be you Rick...

Ford Bronco Rick Astley build journal: MY2? Badlands 2.3/MT/2-door 2A58B0DF-AA78-41AB-92E3-3AD2DA56845E
Ford Bronco Rick Astley build journal: MY2? Badlands 2.3/MT/2-door giphy[1]

Warranty/Recall paint issues are a totally different animal when pricing comes into play.

I should know, I was the main Refinish guy at the shop I had worked at. The pay to the person doing the repair and material coverage isn't very good.

In fact, Automakers try to screw you out of how much you get paid, especially for complete re-paints, and try to impose cost limits on materials and set low hours allowed, that they will pay for.

There were ways to work the system and gain a little wiggle room, but not sure if that's the case anymore.

I do wish I owned a house with a real garage, instead of a condo with a shared garage, but it's probably a blessing because I would more than likely have a a couple vehicle or motorcycle projects sitting around.

I'll just live vicariously thru Rick and others that are able too. Don't get me wrong, I will be doing as much as I possibly can on the Bronco, but I'm already setting aside the 'beer bribe fund' for when I may need to 'borrow' a friend/co-workers garage for a day or two.
The car has less than 25,000 miles, technically it's still under Chevrolet's factory 30,000 warranty. Think they will bite and cover the paint job?

FWIW, if there are some mutual modifications we're doing and it's some same-day work that doesn't involve draining fluid all over the place, i'm always game for beer bribes. 🍻

My place has a tandem garage and i've accidentally started a few small fuel fires that the HOA wasn't too pleased with. Thankfully the better half has a nice garage so now I can burn her place to the ground! Yet still do some work down at my place.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
giphy[1].gif

The car has less than 25,000 miles, technically it's still under Chevrolet's factory 30,000 warranty. Think they will bite and cover the paint job?

FWIW, if there are some mutual modifications we're doing and it's some same-day work that doesn't involve draining fluid all over the place, i'm always game for beer bribes. 🍻

My place has a tandem garage and i've accidentally started a few small fuel fires that the HOA wasn't too pleased with. Thankfully the better half has a nice garage so now I can burn her place to the ground! Yet still do some work down at my place.
A little number 'manipulation' to the year & vin#(on the paperwork) and you should be golden. 😉

OP
OP
Rick Astley

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
A little number 'manipulation' to the year & vin#(on the paperwork) and you should be golden. 😉
Actually, warranties back then did not have a time clause, only mileage.

My T-bird is still under factory warranty as well, but they don't produce the parts I needed any longer so they got off easy last time I came in looking for a speedometer gear for the taller tires I put on. (speedo gears would always be covered by the dealership as a favor to owners as long as you used a tire size they equipped the vehicle with.

However, GM has gone bankrupt enough times between 1951 and now that the taxpayers have already dolled out the billions to keep their corrupt and moribund company afloat, shafting every vehicle owner along the way.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
GM was actually the worst paying warranty/recall vehicle manufacturer. I cringed (and cried) every time one came into the shop.

If you remember the S-10's/S-15's (pickups and Blazer/Jimmy) Cavaliers, Luminas and so on, along with their twins from Pontiac, Buick.
All those vehicles had serious paint de-lamination (paint coming off in chunks) while the Cadillacs only 'really' suffered from clear-coat degradation and clear-coat contamination. (small flakes/powdery/).

It got so bad, that we had to do tape tests to each panel and if it didn't come off with the tape, we were told to not touch it.

There were vehicles that I actually removed 3/4's of the de-laminating paint with a high pressure blow gun.

Back on track. Yeah, GM has had enough financial woes between 1951 and now that there is no way they'd honor a mileage warranty from then.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Congrats on the news, Rick! (y)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rick Astley

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Happy 60th Birthday to my Thunderbird! Chassis is alllllllllmost out of the factory 30,000 mile warranty but she's got the heart of a stallion with only a few hundred miles on the rebuild.

I'm sure someone on this forum will be celebrating their Bronco's 60th birthday in a scant few years as long as they take care of it and buy a few spare parts vehicles for all the technology that will brick itself over time.

Ford Bronco Rick Astley build journal: MY2? Badlands 2.3/MT/2-door 20170510_174421
Ford Bronco Rick Astley build journal: MY2? Badlands 2.3/MT/2-door 13729189_10208803993431592_7393388061844464413_n

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s a boring Saturday morning, trying to finish up a job so it doesn’t impede me going to super cel east next week. Thought I’d muck up Ricks page with my junky pics. 😛
Setup for the cap...
Ford Bronco Rick Astley build journal: MY2? Badlands 2.3/MT/2-door F760F867-C5F9-452A-BEEA-C9DCF059DB97

The obvious cap
Ford Bronco Rick Astley build journal: MY2? Badlands 2.3/MT/2-door 100DF44B-EFE0-448D-8D43-CFA67026CCE4
Ok, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

OP
OP
Rick Astley

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It’s a boring Saturday morning, trying to finish up a job so it doesn’t impede me going to super cel east next week. Thought I’d muck up Ricks page with my junky pics. 😛
Setup for the cap...
Ford Bronco Rick Astley build journal: MY2? Badlands 2.3/MT/2-door 100DF44B-EFE0-448D-8D43-CFA67026CCE4

The obvious cap
Ok, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
With all due respect, I think you've taken the LS3 powered Radio Flyer a bit too far.
Excellent work and I applaud your flawless implementation, but it's just too far!

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update #1: almost day 1 of dealership allocations going into the system and already good news (i'm generally a hard-luck person, so any time I can get even a smidge of good news has me giddy like a school boy!)....... The dealership I reserved at had over 500 reservations and I was pretty much right at #200 going into the last week of orders being open. Anyway, having a build with just one "deadly sin" (2-door), I put my odds quite low of a MY21 allocation..... But yet here we are, with a confirmed MY21 allocation just for me! Guess there are a LOT of manual 2.7 or painted roof orders going in!

Looks like i'll be wheelin' in a Bronco before the year ends!

Badlands
2.3/MT
2-door
Mid pack HIGH pack (memory is going, apply HIGHness)
Race Red

---------------------------------------

With the first official Bronco purchase today, I'll start the build journal.

This first page will get updates as items come into the garage but most likely it will be personal customization rather than off-the-shelf parts that get the attention.

Here we go, will come in handy as I need to tow the '51 across the property for paint. View attachment 109547
congrats..make sure you go play lotto real quick while the lightening can strike twice.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Happy 60th Birthday to my Thunderbird! Chassis is alllllllllmost out of the factory 30,000 mile warranty but she's got the heart of a stallion with only a few hundred miles on the rebuild.

I'm sure someone on this forum will be celebrating their Bronco's 60th birthday in a scant few years as long as they take care of it and buy a few spare parts vehicles for all the technology that will brick itself over time.

beautiful...one of my fav years for Thunderbirds
Sponsored