Sponsored

Riding the TWAT (Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail)

BigBadBluBronc

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 1997 XJ Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The TWAT is the closest thing we have to a BDR. But do Broncos fit? Definitely planning to run it with my Tiger this fall.
My wife and I and the dogs spent Memorial Day weekend riding the southern portion of the Trans WI Adventure Trail. I'm just now posting as it's been crazy at work lately.

The areas we traveled were the section that runs through Iowa and then into southwest Wisconsin. GPS helped a lot as there are many areas where there's no cell service.

The sections of the trail we rode on are definitely very manageable, especially with a rig as capable as a Bronco. The roads were mostly gravel, so I was very glad I have the GatorBack mud flaps as rocks were being picked up and tossed everywhere, except towards the paint on the bottom of our doors!

I would like to do the northern section of the trail in the future as I hear it's a little more challenging. Here are a few pics:

Ford Bronco Riding the TWAT (Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail) Trans WI Trail_1

Ford Bronco Riding the TWAT (Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail) Trans WI Trail_5

Ford Bronco Riding the TWAT (Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail) Trans WI Trail_6

Did I mention the rocks......

Ford Bronco Riding the TWAT (Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail) Trans WI Trail_10

Ford Bronco Riding the TWAT (Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail) Trans WI Trail_7

Ford Bronco Riding the TWAT (Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail) Trans WI Trail_4

Happy Dogs (and happily very tired after the adventure!

Sponsored

TMP

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Super Duty 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Rode the TWAT last night…..highly recommend it! 😃

Dewback75

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SVT Raptor, Mustang, Grand Cherokee, Rubicon, RX-8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've run about 75% of the trail in my Gen1 Raptor. Only encountered one spot where it suddenly turned into what appeared to be a UTV trail and we had to re-route for about 3 miles. I wouldn't expect any issues with a Bronco.

Ford Bronco Riding the TWAT (Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail) IMG_7415.JPG
Ford Bronco Riding the TWAT (Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail) Raptor016

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My wife and I and the dogs spent Memorial Day weekend riding the southern portion of the Trans WI Adventure Trail. I'm just now posting as it's been crazy at work lately.

The areas we traveled were the section that runs through Iowa and then into southwest Wisconsin. GPS helped a lot as there are many areas where there's no cell service.

The sections of the trail we rode on are definitely very manageable, especially with a rig as capable as a Bronco. The roads were mostly gravel, so I was very glad I have the GatorBack mud flaps as rocks were being picked up and tossed everywhere, except towards the paint on the bottom of our doors!

I would like to do the northern section of the trail in the future as I hear it's a little more challenging. Here are a few pics:

Did I mention the rocks......

Happy Dogs (and happily very tired after the adventure!

Is this a one direction trail or can you go north or south on the trail? And any recommendations on places to travel the trail on the southern portion? Looking to ride it in a few weeks

Sponsored

BigBadBluBronc

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this a one direction trail or can you go north or south on the trail? And any recommendations on places to travel the trail on the southern portion? Looking to ride it in a few weeks
To my knowledge, there is no stipulation as far as which direction you travel. From what I've read, some start at the north and go south, and others do the opposite. We started at the south and moved north, traversing maybe 15-20% of the trail. This was our taster, but left us wanting to complete the trail in it's entirety someday. If the opportunity to do the trail again arises, we would start at the northern point and travel south. I've heard that the trail is better/more challenging in the northern sections. Plus, if we tire or get bored we can just jump on the main roads and head home, or go somewhere else.

We stayed in Ferryville, WI which is very small, I think the only thing we purchased there was a tank of gas. The Great River Roadhouse in DeSoto was a great place to eat, complete with $5 cocktails! Across the river from Prairie du Chien was the Effigy Mounds National Monument which was beautiful. Plenty of options, but I do recommend using a GPS, as we lost our cell signal unless we were at the top of a hill or bluff. Have fun!

stormshadow3800

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Bronco Badlands (SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've lived in WI my whole life and somehow never knew this existed. Will definitely be checking it out.

Bagziga

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To my knowledge, there is no stipulation as far as which direction you travel. From what I've read, some start at the north and go south, and others do the opposite. We started at the south and moved north, traversing maybe 15-20% of the trail. This was our taster, but left us wanting to complete the trail in it's entirety someday. If the opportunity to do the trail again arises, we would start at the northern point and travel south. I've heard that the trail is better/more challenging in the northern sections. Plus, if we tire or get bored we can just jump on the main roads and head home, or go somewhere else.

We stayed in Ferryville, WI which is very small, I think the only thing we purchased there was a tank of gas. The Great River Roadhouse in DeSoto was a great place to eat, complete with $5 cocktails! Across the river from Prairie du Chien was the Effigy Mounds National Monument which was beautiful. Plenty of options, but I do recommend using a GPS, as we lost our cell signal unless we were at the top of a hill or bluff. Have fun!
Great River Roadhouse is awesome. Did you try the Gordoni? It's a bit rich but it sure is interesting.

I'm definitely more interested in the northern portion of the TWAT but the southwest corner of Wisconsin does have some great views and fun roads.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Shoot, that's way west, mostly. Anyone know of something up Minoqua way?

Sponsored

Stache12

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Base
I haven't researched a ton on this, but what I've found is your best bet is to find some fire or logging roads on public land. There just isn't much else for full sized vehicles in Wisconsin.

BigBadBluBronc

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great River Roadhouse is awesome. Did you try the Gordoni? It's a bit rich but it sure is interesting.

I'm definitely more interested in the northern portion of the TWAT but the southwest corner of Wisconsin does have some great views and fun roads.
I didn't have the Gordoni, but I just looked at their website to see the menu and it certainly looks interesting! I had their fish sandwich, it was awesome!

I lived in Northern WI in the 90's (like, 10 years ago, is that right?) Anyway, I had no idea about the Trans Adventure Trail then, and the Sunbird convertible I had probably wasn't the right vehicle for the trail anyway..... Hahaha!

OP
OP
Gabby

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Across the river from Prairie du Chien was the Effigy Mounds National Monument which was beautiful.
We just did a charity ride that took us along The Great River Road and Prairie du Chien. I was surprised to lose cell signal in what seemed like some populated areas.

TinStar

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250SD, 67Gal
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How did the ride go?
It was great. The weather was perfect for camping but the mosquitos at Stockfarm bridge made us pick a hotel in Clam Lake. We even made it through FR166. It was tight for the first 100 yards but it opened up. The drive from Galena to Yellow state park was nice but if I was to do it again I would start after Sparta. We took 4 days to run the entire route and saw a black bear on the side of the road on day 4.
Sponsored